Guess Dan's top 5 of 2018!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Geoff said:

QFT. Terrible album. Just don't tell Dan I said that. ;)

14 hours ago, Glen said:

Nope it's just as bad as before ;)

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Dynazty then.

Sultans of Sin (2012) was the last album of theirs I listened to, and Firesign blows it away IMO. Firesign has stuck with me since it came out and hasn't lost any of its replay appeal in the least. Yes, it's at times more "melodic metal" than AOR/melodic rock, but it's not remotely power metal as I've seen some imply. Also, this album is much more consistent than Sultans of Sin.

I don't see how folks here don't like it, but that's why all of our Best Of lists are different...

1 minute ago, heavyharmonies said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Dynazty then.

Sultans of Sin (2012) was the last album of theirs I listened to, and Firesign blows it away IMO. Firesign has stuck with me since it came out and hasn't lost any of its replay appeal in the least. Yes, it's at times more "melodic metal" than AOR/melodic rock, but it's not remotely power metal as I've seen some imply. Also, this album is much more consistent than Sultans of Sin.

I don't see how folks here don't like it, but that's why all of our Best Of lists are different...

Please, allow me to tell you why I dislike it. :)

It is very well played. Great musicians. Heaviness is good. If they'd included a bit of melody, it's pretty much perfect heaviness. Very well produced too. 

BUT!!

And the big but is, quite simply, the songs are shit. IMO, of course. It's like 11 chapters of a single song. As good as some of the riffs are, by the end of the thing it's all just one big riff that runs for 50mins. I couldn't pick out one distinct hook or melody. And the music just ends up all being single parts of the same thing. It really just blends into one by the end. 

'Sultans of Sin' is a nice, varied and pretty complete hard rock album. The songs are different entities. I do not, find this can be said for the recent release. Personally, I was bored stupid by it. Personally. My opinion only. ;)

6 minutes ago, Geoff said:

As for #4, perhaps;

Bonfire - 'Temple Of Lies'

Don't believe it for a sec, but it's my guess. 

Good guess, but that ended up in my honorable mention list. Best thing they've done since the demise of the real Bonfire. Heck of a good album. 

3 minutes ago, heavyharmonies said:

Good guess, but that ended up in my honorable mention list. Best thing they've done since the demise of the real Bonfire. Heck of a good album. 

I do agree. Bonfire are going well in their current state... better than Lessman and Phantom 5, in my honest opinion.

I enjoy the album a lot. 

• 2023 Gold Donors

What's  the deal now Dan? Is it open slather? BTW, you're leaving us hangin' with the recent guess's. I haven't had a definite no regarding that nuru massage from Geoff, so as you can imagine I'm quite keen.

6 hours ago, Darkstone said:

What's  the deal now Dan? Is it open slather? BTW, you're leaving us hangin' with the recent guess's. I haven't had a definite no regarding that nuru massage from Geoff, so as you can imagine I'm quite keen.

Sorry mate, meant to say earlier that first 50 guessers all get a free tongue bath from me. 

• 2023 Gold Donors

Okay, it looks like the end is near so I'll have one last attempt with several guess's.

Brothers of Metal

Leah

Dukes of the Orient

Heartwind

The Collective Works of Bette Midler - Mardi Gras Edition.

Alcyona - Trailblazer

Kalidia - Frozen Throne

Follow the Cipher - S/T

7th Heaven - Color In Motion

Hearts on Fire - Call of Destiny

That's all I got.... :P

8 hours ago, Darkstone said:

The Collective Works of Bette Midler - Mardi Gras Edition.

Congrats, mate. It's obviously this one. 

If it's 7th Heaven, I am pleased with Dan's selection. Mighty, mighty fine album. If it's any of the others I'm not impressed. ;)