Jump to content
heavyharmonies

Guess Dan's top 5 of 2018!

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

I'll go with StoneLake BTW.

Bzzt. Not a bad album though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Geoff said:

QFT. Terrible album. Just don't tell Dan I said that. ;)

 

14 hours ago, Glen said:

Nope it's just as bad as before ;)

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Dynazty then.

Sultans of Sin (2012) was the last album of theirs I listened to, and Firesign blows it away IMO. Firesign has stuck with me since it came out and hasn't lost any of its replay appeal in the least. Yes, it's at times more "melodic metal" than AOR/melodic rock, but it's not remotely power metal as I've seen some imply. Also, this album is much more consistent than Sultans of Sin.

I don't see how folks here don't like it, but that's why all of our Best Of lists are different...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, heavyharmonies said:

 

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Dynazty then.

Sultans of Sin (2012) was the last album of theirs I listened to, and Firesign blows it away IMO. Firesign has stuck with me since it came out and hasn't lost any of its replay appeal in the least. Yes, it's at times more "melodic metal" than AOR/melodic rock, but it's not remotely power metal as I've seen some imply. Also, this album is much more consistent than Sultans of Sin.

I don't see how folks here don't like it, but that's why all of our Best Of lists are different...

Please, allow me to tell you why I dislike it. :)

It is very well played. Great musicians. Heaviness is good. If they'd included a bit of melody, it's pretty much perfect heaviness. Very well produced too. 

BUT!!

And the big but is, quite simply, the songs are shit. IMO, of course. It's like 11 chapters of a single song. As good as some of the riffs are, by the end of the thing it's all just one big riff that runs for 50mins. I couldn't pick out one distinct hook or melody. And the music just ends up all being single parts of the same thing. It really just blends into one by the end. 

'Sultans of Sin' is a nice, varied and pretty complete hard rock album. The songs are different entities. I do not, find this can be said for the recent release. Personally, I was bored stupid by it. Personally. My opinion only. ;)

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for #4, perhaps;

Bonfire - 'Temple Of Lies'

Don't believe it for a sec, but it's my guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Geoff said:

As for #4, perhaps;

Bonfire - 'Temple Of Lies'

Don't believe it for a sec, but it's my guess. 

Good guess, but that ended up in my honorable mention list. Best thing they've done since the demise of the real Bonfire. Heck of a good album. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, heavyharmonies said:

Good guess, but that ended up in my honorable mention list. Best thing they've done since the demise of the real Bonfire. Heck of a good album. 

I do agree. Bonfire are going well in their current state... better than Lessman and Phantom 5, in my honest opinion.

I enjoy the album a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still wondering if # 4 is HH or BM related... 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kamelot for #4 ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arion - Life is Not Beautiful 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greta Van Fleet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's  the deal now Dan? Is it open slather? BTW, you're leaving us hangin' with the recent guess's. I haven't had a definite no regarding that nuru massage from Geoff, so as you can imagine I'm quite keen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.