Stefan

FM - Atomic Generation

New album out March 23 on Frontiers. More info to follow.

376353.jpg

1. Black Magic
2. Too Much of a Good Thing
3. Killed by Love
4. In It for the Money
5. Golden Days
6. Playing Tricks on Me
7. Make the Best of What You Got
8. Follow Your Heart
9. Do You Love Me Enough
10. Stronger
11. Love is the Law

Absolutely LOVED me some INDISCREET 30, so I'll look forward to this one with promise (which most of you know is something I don't normally have for my favorite 80's bands 30+ years later).

Their first two are classics.  I thought Metropolis was a nice comeback, but, for me their releases since have merely been solid, with a few too many filler.   Hopefully this one will impress.

First song released from the new album.

I read someone state on FB that the new album was a monster but that sounds like the same tired old FM.

They will never get anywhere near the quality of the first 2 albums again. 

50 minutes ago, Glen said:

I read someone state on FB that the new album was a monster but that sounds like the same tired old FM.

They will never get anywhere near the quality of the first 2 albums again. 

Sadly, I don't think - no matter how hard they tried - FM could not match any of their quality work, no matter how hard they tried. This song is as average as it gets. 

I've never been able to get into these guys and have even been revisiting some stuff lately since they'll be playing at MRF5 in Chicago.

This new song almost sounds borderline country to me....I almost get like a Rascal Flats type vibe.....not that I've listed to much Rascal Flats lol.

It's just not happening for me.

18 hours ago, tts42572 said:

I've never been able to get into these guys and have even been revisiting some stuff lately since they'll be playing at MRF5 in Chicago..

first two albums from the 80's are very good..

this new song is ok

New song.

By gosh that is average. :(

22 hours ago, Geoff said:

By gosh that is average. :(

The chick is above average, the song is below average 

..Are you all deaf ? 

This new song "BlackMagic" is simply groundbreaking ! awesome !

it sounds a bit original too

I used to absolutely love FM, but prior to their split I kinda started to lose interest in them (Paraphenalia and Dead mans shoes just did not do anything for me). I have not even bought anything by them since the reunion mainly because all post FM projects did not excite me either, and everything I have heard from FM single wise has just sounded like more of the same.

None of it is bad, but it all just sounds so by the book.

Shame really as i still maintain that Steve Overland has one of the best voices in rock music.

I've said it before and maybe it's a tad harsh but I still honestly believe you only really need the first 2 albums.

2 classic albums for sure but that's it imo outside of the odd song here and there.

Overland's Ladder album was great as well

On 3/6/2018 at 7:55 PM, Azhul said:

..Are you all deaf ? 

This new song "BlackMagic" is simply groundbreaking ! awesome !

it sounds a bit original too

Are you actually serious? This plodding filler is groundbreaking? So how did you describe 'That Girl' or something like 'Does It Feel Like Love?' 

And what do you mean by groundbreaking, and "a bit original too?"

As for their discography, gents, you definitely only need the first two... and a half. 'Aphrodesiac' is worth a mention for the ballsier sound and a small (very small, :( ) selection of good songs. I don't mind that album... in parts. 

I assumed he was being sarcastic ?? 

Hey listen: FM starting from 3rd album(TakinToTheStreets) have taken different paths, no more only 80's aor but a mix of them all (blues, soul, hardrock, ehm pop.. sigh) so we have to live with that !

I really like this new song BlackMagic, very sexy and powerful, at least much better than the previous effort.

My only complaint would be that I liked AndyBarnett more than JimKirkPatrik whose background is not truly hard&heavy and I see the risk FM could be dragged too near pop-territory :)

What do ya think ?

I do agree that the new song is better than the first track they put our for the upcoming album

7 hours ago, Azhul said:

Hey listen: FM starting from 3rd album(TakinToTheStreets) have taken different paths, no more only 80's aor but a mix of them all (blues, soul, hardrock, ehm pop.. sigh) so we have to live with that !

I really like this new song BlackMagic, very sexy and powerful, at least much better than the previous effort.

My only complaint would be that I liked AndyBarnett more than JimKirkPatrik whose background is not truly hard&heavy and I see the risk FM could be dragged too near pop-territory :)

What do ya think ?

Yes friend, we do have to live with the fact they changed their sound after their third album... but I think we can all agree they changed their sound for the worse. Just because they started to suck doesn't mean we had to stick with them and try and enjoy what they were doing, even if it was bad. Plenty of other good bands to check out instead. ;)

As for a musician in FM not coming from a hard an heavy background... do any of the other guys in the band? Aren't FM's origins far more related to pop (AOR and very commercial melodic rock) than anything really hard and heavy? 

As others mentioned in this thread, FM burst onto the scene as a pretty amazing AOR / melodic rock band. For two albums, they would have been very highly ranked amongst their peers. 'Takin' it to the streets' was a piece of shit. Let's not beat around the bush. If the album had testicles, they would have been jammed far down it's own throat. 'Crack alley' is great... the rest of the album is terrible. 

They kind of undid a few of their wrongs with the respectable 'Aphrodesiac.' I can't be too harsh on that album. They obviously knew they'd absolutely, completely and thoroughly ruined their careers with their terrible third album, and they tried to make amends. It wasn't perfect - far from it, but they tried, at least. A handful of decent songs on it. Shame is, that horrific 'Dead Man's Shoes' was an iceberg-sized nail in their coffin and they rightly so disappeared. 

Anyway, their return has been okay at best. They're undoubtedly a lot better than their 'Takin' it to the streets' and 'Dead man's shoes' days. If nothing else, the high quality production jobs since their return has made this so. But the songs - you must admit - have generally been pretty average. Nothing exciting anymore. 

To call something so bland, average and generic "groundbreaking" - we obviously have very different opinions on groundbreaking. ;)

For me Indiscreet was a bit too light, but had some great songs. My love of them started with Tough it out and continued to Aphrodesiac, after that, its just more misses than hits sadly.

Hey guys ! Go here and listen to other songs (FollowYourHeart, Stronger, GoodThing, InForTheMoney,..) and I'm sure you'll change your mind ;)

I was really impressed with these songs, they sound more like the 2 classics we all love ! Also Steve sings with more energy and focus than Heroes&Villains.. by the way Heroes&Villains is no more my favourite eheh !

https://www.mixcloud.com/grtr/assume-the-position-steve-overland-fm-special-4-march-2018/

On 9.3.2018 at 3:06 PM, Stefan said:

Now there's a video as well. For the massive FM fans out there. :)