Women and Change

nyoilers

• 2023 Gold Donors

Why is it that every time I'm behind a woman in a check out lane  she feels it's necessary to pay for her items with the exact amount? The searching for that elusive penny is annoying as hell ! I usually use the self check out lanes to avoid this but sometimes you can't.And yes,I've been behind men and they never pay with the exact amount.

Sexist pig!

:lol:

Actually, in my experience, it's not gender that correlates with a propensity for exact change, but age. It is usually people in the 70+ age bracket (those who have been using traditional payment methods, e.g., cash or check their entire lives) that tend to do this. The vast majority of people now pay with credit or debit cards, but progress comes more slowly the older you are.

For people my age and up to say, age 60, the pace of technological change has been fast for the majority of our lives, so we're more accustomed to making change in our daily lives and adopting new methods and technologies. That isn't the cast for those much older than that.

Haha, I do that. I'm gonna be worrying that i'm annoying the person behind me though from now on.

Why I do it I'm not really sure except for the fact that my handbag is heavy enough already without it being loaded down with loose change. And how come my purse has all that loose change in the first place? Because I flipping have to clean up all the coins left lying around the house by my husband - presumably because he shares your aversion to getting rid of it by paying the exact amount for things!

• My Little Pony

I'm one of the youngest here, and a man, and I do this all the time. Most places are already ringing it up on the credit machine, and I gotta be like, "Oh, I'll pay with cash." 

• 2023 Gold Donors
8 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I'm one of the youngest here, and a man, and I do this all the time. Most places are already ringing it up on the credit machine, and I gotta be like, "Oh, I'll pay with cash." 

Quit braggin' already !:)

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, Dead Planet said:

Other than myself, I rarely see people pay with cash except as Dan mentioned, us older folks lol...my issue is with people paying with debit or credit card and taking forever to get it done...I could pay with cash 3 times before they finish!

That's also true.A card with a chip-you have to hold it in for a few seconds !

• 2 months later...

I'm tap & go all the way.

Pretty much cashless these days.

In fact I'm also generally walletless.
I have my driver's license and bank card in a slide out section in the back of my phone case.
Only time I take my wallet out is to buy stuff on my business account.

Won't be long before we all get digital copies of our driver's license and we won't need that any more either.