DREAM THEATER - The Astonishing

zacharyamelie

This is the new 2 cd, 34 tracks, two hour concept album from DREAM THEATER.

I'm a super huge fan of the band and really wanted this to be awesome...but it's just way too over the top. It's a cross between DT with the broadway play Les Misérables.

It's very hard to digest, those with a passing interest in DT, avoid at all cost!!! Those who are fans like I normally am, be warned, it's weird.

Let's hope the next one has 8 to 10 songs and goes back to what the do best.

This will go from an easy entry in my top 10 at years end to Ebay in a flash.

.....and I'm not even done listening to the first cd yet!

This release is a massive misfire from the band. I feel sick to my stomach hearing this. I can't remember being this disappointed with an album from a band I really like.

• My Little Pony

Yeah, a friend of mine described it as a two disc album full of 3 minute radio-friendly Progressive Rock songs. I interpreted that as a sellout. I gave up on this band after Black Clouds & Silver Linings, as I began to prefer Vanden Plas and Circus Maximus and the almighty Neal Morse.

Heard lots of good things about this but haven't got the chance to spin it. Although the lengthy album sometimes put me off like 'Six Degrees' did.

Their last two are great and enjoyable and I prefer those than anything from 'Six Degrees' to 'Black Clouds', so let's see how this one goes

So DT decided to do something actually prog and their fans are dishing them. :tumbsup:

I found some great tracks here (probably 12/34) and great guitar playing reminiscent of the old (2112) Rush days. Bring it on!

I guess it would be a really abjection for DT to be comparable with Vanden Plas, Threshold and other softy/easy listening bands.

While I' still expecting something in the prog metal vein this is a nice surprise!

So DT decided to do something actually prog and their fans are dishing them. :tumbsup:

I found some great tracks here (probably 12/34) and great guitar playing reminiscent of the old (2112) Rush days. Bring it on!

I guess it would be a really abjection for DT to be comparable with Vanden Plas, Threshold and other softy/easy listening bands.

While I' still expecting something in the prog metal vein this is a nice surprise!

It ain't prog, it's fuckin' show tunes!

Remember when Styx went Mr. Roboto and fans shook their heads in dismay? This is like that.

If you want to go broadway / opera and still keep it awesome, look at Meatloaf or Savatage, they did it right.

It ain't prog, it's fuckin' show tunes!

Remember when Styx went Mr. Roboto and fans shook their heads in dismay? This is like that.

If you want to go broadway / opera and still keep it awesome, look at Meatloaf or Savatage, they did it right.

Buddy, with such a huge sample on display you can simultaneously be right and wrong. There are some killer tracks+ guitar + guitar solo + keys there but definitely it's not on par with the monument that inspired it.

Btw, my favorite songs are in ACT II.

Let's see if I find a dude selling only the 2 vinyls of ACT II. :tumbsup:

Someone told me its ultra cheese. Surprisingly I love DT at their cheesiest and most melodic ie. Awake, Scenes etc. I'm in and will check it out.

• 1 month later...

I've just listened to the first disc and really enjoyed it. It's a varied listen for sure and I couldn't pick out a single track as the best so far but as a whole I think it works really well.

It's certainly a different direction for them and I'm surprised I like it.

The production is excellent. There is a lot going on but it doesn't sound cluttered like the majority of stuff I've heard in the last few years.

I'm looking forward to the second disc tomorrow morning

• My Little Pony

A friend of mine said he didn't love the first disc, but really likes the second one. It's interesting how polarised the reviews are.

Both discs are great....excellent album

Agreed, both discs are very good. I would never expect to hear any of the tracks in a night club or probably even a bar but i could happily play it at home, crank it up and immerse myself in it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...