Cataloging your music, databases etc.

DaHun72

I've been putting off cataloging my CD collection for a couple of years but after doing a bit of a clean out I noticed I have heaps of duplicate CDs! So the time is right. I used to put everything into an excel spreadsheet so it would house all the info I wanted eg.

Artist

Title

Year

Label

Label ID

# of CDs

Notes eg. OBI, Bonus Tracks, Digipak etc.

Was wondering how everyone else catalogs their collection. There is so much software and apps these days that something good must be available. For instance I tried Libib but after I put in the ISBN I got the correct Artist, Title and Year but that's it. It said foreign label.

Would be cool to have something that grabs the artwork, allows for the main info to be put in but also allows notes or tags etc. for additional info.

Label ID?? What's that? I don't even have label but sometimes which I did.

At the moment I just use:

Artist

Title

Year

But one day I'd like to add stuff like label, style, male/female vocals etc. But I doubt I ever will...

Artist, Title and Year would be the minimum requirements.

I certainly wouldn't care about things like Record Label or Label ID / Catalogue No.

But I do make note of the Music Style and Rating, as those benefit me when looking through a long list of my collection. Depending on what I wanted to listen to, I can quite easily scan through a list of Hard Rock or Melodic Rock or Power Metal (etc.) to see what I've got, rather than browsing my CD shelves where everything is ordered alphabetically by Artist and then Year.

What about keeping a record of something more personal to you, such as Date Purchased? I knew someone who did that as he liked to occasionally see how his tastes in music changed over time.

A spreadsheet is good enough for a list like this, unless you are going to end up cataloguing track listings, for example, where you would need a database for that kind of one-to-many relationship. I expect most of the "office" software packages (e.g. MS Office for Windows) provide spreadsheet and database software if you wanted to make your own, and these days there's plenty tutorials available online to learn how to make a database, which would be the next step up if you've already learnt how to make spreadsheets. Otherwise you're going to be looking at spending money on commercial software, or using internet websites and relying on your chosen one always being available by whoever operates the site.

Artist, Title and Year would be the minimum requirements.

I certainly wouldn't care about things like Record Label or Label ID / Catalogue No.

But I do make note of the Music Style and Rating, as those benefit me when looking through a long list of my collection. Depending on what I wanted to listen to, I can quite easily scan through a list of Hard Rock or Melodic Rock or Power Metal (etc.) to see what I've got, rather than browsing my CD shelves where everything is ordered alphabetically by Artist and then Year.

What about keeping a record of something more personal to you, such as Date Purchased? I knew someone who did that as he liked to occasionally see how his tastes in music changed over time.

A spreadsheet is good enough for a list like this, unless you are going to end up cataloguing track listings, for example, where you would need a database for that kind of one-to-many relationship. I expect most of the "office" software packages (e.g. MS Office for Windows) provide spreadsheet and database software if you wanted to make your own, and these days there's plenty tutorials available online to learn how to make a database, which would be the next step up if you've already learnt how to make spreadsheets. Otherwise you're going to be looking at spending money on commercial software, or using internet websites and relying on your chosen one always being available by whoever operates the site.

I made a database on access with scans and other details-even gossips and other paraphernalia-but only for 800 titles. Tremendous amount of time back then. Now, I'm speculating, it's easy to copy/paste from online sources stuff to your database and then upload it.Personally, I don't have the same passion to do this. I'm happy with my excel (Artist Name-Title-Format- Year).

I used to keep list of my CDs in a Word document on my PC that I updated as needed, but when my computer crashed and took the list with it I didn't wanna be bothered starting it all over from scratch... lesson learned.

Now I use RateYourMusic:

https://rateyourmusic.com/~FatFreddysCat

I did check out collectorz a while back, seemed OK but expensive.

I'd prefer an app over a spreadsheet etc. Something that I can update on my phone, tablet or PC etc. and view anytime knowing it's up to date when a buying opportunity presents itself.

I keep the label info as I've spent a lot of time tracking down the best release of my favorite albums over the last decade to get bonus tracks etc.

I did check out collectorz a while back, seemed OK but expensive.

I'd prefer an app over a spreadsheet etc. Something that I can update on my phone, tablet or PC etc. and view anytime knowing it's up to date when a buying opportunity presents itself.

I keep the label info as I've spent a lot of time tracking down the best release of my favorite albums over the last decade to get bonus tracks etc.

In case you are looking for original versions and not counterfeits, I think there's a topic in this site to have a look at.

I used to keep list of my CDs in a Word document on my PC that I updated as needed, but when my computer crashed and took the list with it I didn't wanna be bothered starting it all over from scratch... lesson learned.

Now I use RateYourMusic:

https://rateyourmusic.com/~FatFreddysCat

Nice one, buddy! I think this site is similar, if you get used to the German language for a while (still a very informative one, in case you are looking for first pressings or other versions etc). Still I don't have the mental strength and discipline required to start it!

https://www.musik-sammler.de/

Btw, I just remembered that an easy one is

http://www.discogs.com/

I have the feeling that this site is gonna stay for a while so it's a cool and easy way to have your collection online (btw, I just realised that I should update my info).

2s6newx.png

I have my cds spread all over the house...I wouldn't even know where to look for half of them let alone trying to catalog them....one of these days when I retire and have time on my hands I will have to deal with this...lol

Yeah, I feel ya buddy. It took me a huge amount of time to arrange my cds in alphabetic order ( usually I catalog them the moment I open a parcel and thus I didn't have to endure the pain of starting from scratch). And then I had to arrange some of them in a clever way for ergonomic reasons ( for example I arranged letters P-S to the level of my eyes to be ready to find and grab for the car stereo). Now I have to show tons of discipline in order to remember putting them back. :tumbsup:

I'm using Excel and I've been doing it since probably 15 years ago so I never bought a CD twice accidentally, except I bought it from here, amazon, or ebay when it's priced reasonably and sell it to friend or friend's friend for some profits to obtain more CDs :)

There are 7 columns, Artist - Title - Year - Rating - Label - Country (CD manufactured in) - Price (price obtained, useful to remember when you want to sell) - Remarks (bonus track, bonus DVD, enhanced, remastered, catalog number, etc).

There's a 'Filter' function in Excel so you can use the drop-down mark to show a specific Artist only, or Year only, etc.

My CD shelf also was arranged alphabetically by Artist and sorted from the year it's released, so for Bon Jovi, the collection should be stacked s/t, 7800, New Jersey, etc.

Another idea is to put another column and put 'Last Played' date so when you have some free time, you can sort this date on Excel to see what albums you haven't spin in like 6 months or more and can be an idea to pull out several Cds from the shelves and spin it :)

It's fun I guess and also we're able to see what albums are worth keeping and which one should be sold after a while

I'm using Excel and I've been doing it since probably 15 years ago so I never bought a CD twice accidentally, except I bought it from here, amazon, or ebay when it's priced reasonably and sell it to friend or friend's friend for some profits to obtain more CDs :)

There are 7 columns, Artist - Title - Year - Rating - Label - Country (CD manufactured in) - Price (price obtained, useful to remember when you want to sell) - Remarks (bonus track, bonus DVD, enhanced, remastered, catalog number, etc).

There's a 'Filter' function in Excel so you can use the drop-down mark to show a specific Artist only, or Year only, etc.

My CD shelf also was arranged alphabetically by Artist and sorted from the year it's released, so for Bon Jovi, the collection should be stacked s/t, 7800, New Jersey, etc.

Another idea is to put another column and put 'Last Played' date so when you have some free time, you can sort this date on Excel to see what albums you haven't spin in like 6 months or more and can be an idea to pull out several Cds from the shelves and spin it :)

It's fun I guess and also we're able to see what albums are worth keeping and which one should be sold after a while

You don't own 'Slippery when wet?' ;)

I'd never do it, but I also have thought about that last played thing in the past. It'd be interesting, but you just wouldn't do it. It'd mean that every time you listen to a CD you'd need to document it, lol. That'd be wicked annoying.

You don't own 'Slippery when wet?' ;)

I'd never do it, but I also have thought about that last played thing in the past. It'd be interesting, but you just wouldn't do it. It'd mean that every time you listen to a CD you'd need to document it, lol. That'd be wicked annoying.

lol yeah I slipped on that 'Slippery'

it seems like a hassle at first but if you work with computer everyday, it's very easy to just load up that excel in a minute, type something and save it quick.

Just an idea to spend some free time at home :D

Oh, you don't need to tell me, mate. I only and only have ever used Excel. Artist, Title & Year at the moment, adding Ratings now and hopefully I get time to add other stuff later. Oh, and Format. I want to add format one day...