Well, it happened - I like a screamo song....

CureTheSane

Was watching Foxtel (local cable TV) and was on the Loud radio channel and Sonic Syndicate - Revolution, Baby came on.

I listened to the end and that was instantly the bit that hooked me.

Listened to the song heaps since then and it's a damn good song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_1v_vtoZy8

Sadly most of the other songs on the album are great, but wrecked with the growling.

A couple of others stand out though with My Own Life may as well being a mainstream song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLj0A4XbsD8

So... the glammy looking dude wearing the makeup is the growler and the latino gangsta wannabe does the singing... talk about role reversal. :lol:

Bass player is moderately hawt...

The two songs above are light years apart stylistically.

Well, I love both those songs. The first one is awesome from the 2:15min mark and I love that 2nd tune. I thought I had this band's work despite initially being turned off by their growling vocals (of which I hear none on either of these two songs). Must check these guys out again.

So... the glammy looking dude wearing the makeup is the growler and the latino gangsta wannabe does the singing... talk about role reversal. :lol:

Bass player is moderately hawt...

The two songs above are light years apart stylistically.

My thoughts exactly.

I hate the growling but their songs and hooks are actually pretty good.

The first song has a bit nu-metal rappin' like Limp Bizkit but it has some good melodies so don't mind it at all, the second one is like a modern ballad, harmless good track but not really outstanding

Burn This City has nice chorus

I always kinda liked "Burn this City"

Another great tune... I seem to have dropped the ball with these guys.

See for me Burn This City would be a really great song, but I just can't get past the growling. Maybe one day I'll be more accepting, but for now they just ruin a good tune.
My daughter loves this stuff, she walks around the house with earphones in growling all over the place lol

It's funny you dudes call it growling, but being the extreme nerd I am when in comes to this type of music, I see a MASSIVE difference between the growling and the screaming. As in, it will decide if I like a band or not. I cannot stand the growling (which I swear this band used to do) but I don't mind the decipherable screaming at all. And so far, the songs in this thread are definitely all decipherable screaming rather than growling. ;)

I used to call them cookie monster vocals :)

Regardless I'm kinda proud of myself to venture into this type of music and be open to liking it.

In the past I'd hear the growls and click next.

Geoff is right. Even though all screaming/shouting/growling/whatever vocals are non-melodic, there is a distinct difference between these and death metal "vocals".

1. These vocals, for the most part, can be followed or interpreted. On most death metal tracks, fuhgedabowdit!

2. There is a distinct difference in pitch. Most death metal vocals are low or gutteral in pitch. These are higher pitch/frequency. The low-pitched death metal vocals are the ones I have heard referred to as "cookie monster" vocals, more so than these.

Not saying that either have major redemming qualities in music, but there IS a difference. :lol:

I love this one:

Well, I definitely know and really, really love that song. So whatever album that one was on must have been the last time I checked this band out. Killer tune.