1991- Best Albums

I love your guys' lists. Let's me know what I should be focusing on.

Go for some of the less obvious ones too, like Beckett, Keven Jordan, Marillion, Pendragon, Outrider, Darby Mills & The Unsung Heroes...some real gems right there

... And Guns N' Roses over Danger Danger & Kane Roberts? Enuff Z'Nuff over Kane Roberts and Tuff?

Jeez you must like Guns N' Roses and Enuff Z' Nuff. Granted, both albums have some great songs, but clunkers too. IMO. No songs I dislike on the others I mention... but to each their own. Always interesting lists.

Oh, and as for Tall Stories... wouldn't that just be omitted because it would be in no one's top 100 albums of anything ever... unless you're talking about the top 100 most boring albums of the "hair rock/metal genre."

That fkn Bryan Adams album. What a stinking turd. Write one decent tune, rinse and repeat until the CD runs out of space......booooooooooriiiiing.

Kane Roberts, Ozzy, D2, Shotgun Messiah all too low and way too many too high ?

That fkn Bryan Adams album. What a stinking turd. Write one decent tune, rinse and repeat until the CD runs out of space......booooooooooriiiiing.

Kane Roberts, Ozzy, D2, Shotgun Messiah all too low and way too many too high

Haha. Harsh assessment of the Bryan Adams album. I have a soft spot for it, but I do see your point. There's no way in the world I could put it alongside genre classics either. It's a good "kid rock" kind of album, aimed at 12 year olds (which is how old I was when this was released and when I loved it).

But it's banal as hell and now that you mention it, placing it above the likes of White Lion, Casanova, D2, Mr Big, Kane Roberts, XYZ, Tuff, Sargant Fury, BB Steal, Bad English and Dare, for a start, does seem like pure insanity. ;)

No, not when you lived through it as an 18 yr old. I see your point though I bought dress you up by Madonna when I was 12.

It was on the radio all the fkn time. It was like if Huey Lewis recorded 15 versions of the power of love and put it on one album.

No wonder the kids got so angry, started taking hard drugs instead of partying and drinking and then start singing about how unhappy they were.

It's Bryan Adams fault Nirvana exploded. Well maybe Mutt Lange's coz he did the same thing with Shania Twain! He made it sickening to listen to people being happy ;)

I actually like that album. Speaking of his latest release, that one is a complete turd. I hate the Jeff Lynne sound, I wish Jeff would quit the music business once and for all.

lol you know you can't blame Bryan Adams for making lots of great songs that MTV can't stop playing them :D

Waking Up The Neighbours, 15 tracks, erase 3 weakest tracks and you'll get at least 7-8 gems there, i'll say it's his best release and one I still enjoy very much to this date and definitely worth the 90% mark :D

the overplayed (Everything I Do) still chills me to the bone and sounds awesome both in full band and acoustic, and 'Thought I'd Died' is a pure bliss, what a ballad!

try listening to it again and don't blame me when eventually you can't stop that thing you started playin' :D

lol you know you can't blame Bryan Adams for making lots of great songs that MTV can't stop playing them :D

Waking Up The Neighbours, 15 tracks, erase 3 weakest tracks and you'll get at least 7-8 gems there, i'll say it's his best release and one I still enjoy very much to this date and definitely worth the 90% mark :D

the overplayed (Everything I Do) still chills me to the bone and sounds awesome both in full band and acoustic, and 'Thought I'd Died' is a pure bliss, what a ballad!

try listening to it again and don't blame me when eventually you can't stop that thing you started playin' :D

Dude you are mad - his best is Reckless, especially the deluxe version which includes his best 2 tunes 'Reckless' and 'Draw The Line'....both of which crucify any song on Neighbours

:)

The songs I still like most of all from it are 'Thought I'd died and gone to heaven' and 'Do I have to say the words.' I guess the least tacky on a pretty tacky album. That said, I still do have a soft spot for it, like I said, and rated it well... but it won't be topping my 1991 list. ;)

Dude you are mad - his best is Reckless, especially the deluxe version which includes his best 2 tunes 'Reckless' and 'Draw The Line'....both of which crucify any song on Neighbours

For what it's worth, I also love 'Reckless' that much, in fact I rated it around 86.92%, but I like 'Neighbours' a bit better, so maybe because of the age gap between you and me and the gap between that albums, pretty much explained which album have more impact during our younger years :D

The songs I still like most of all from it are 'Thought I'd died and gone to heaven' and 'Do I have to say the words.' I guess the least tacky on a pretty tacky album. That said, I still do have a soft spot for it, like I said, and rated it well... but it won't be topping my 1991 list. ;)

yeah two excellent songs, and some other lesser-known songs such as 'Not Guilty', 'Vanishing', 'There Will Never Be Another Tonight' are also very nice. Out of 15 songs, the last 3 maybe the weakest, and by judging the strongest 12, I guess you might end up with a better score, Geoff

anyway, have you completed your top 100 of 1991 ?

For what it's worth, I also love 'Reckless' that much, in fact I rated it around 86.92%, but I like 'Neighbours' a bit better, so maybe because of the age gap between you and me and the gap between that albums, pretty much explained which album have more impact during our younger years :D

yeah two excellent songs, and some other lesser-known songs such as 'Not Guilty', 'Vanishing', 'There Will Never Be Another Tonight' are also very nice. Out of 15 songs, the last 3 maybe the weakest, and by judging the strongest 12, I guess you might end up with a better score, Geoff

anyway, have you completed your top 100 of 1991 ?

And that's why the only rating 12 songs is so ridiculous. ;) Because there are 15 songs on the album. So I rate 15. I do honestly like most the songs on the album. It brings back great memories. It is just undeniably tacky... but so is a lot of glam, that I love. :)

I haven't finished 1991 because I really want to get through all my MP3s to really finalise these lists. Even when I posted the 1983 list, I rated a few more from that year a few days later. I will have them soon. I'm finally on the "home stretch." Kinda. Still got a long way to go, but I hope that soon I can start crossing them off, year by year, which is when I will unleash them.

I can tell you, though, that the highest rated melodic rock album in my collection (modern stuff not included) is from 1991. And judging by your ratings, you are not nearly as fond of it as I am.

Kane Roberts? :)

You know it. I think I mentioned it somewhere else, ay?

Would be a top 10 for me too i reckon

TUFF and SHOTGUN MESSIAH ?

lol, what are you talking about? Glen already answered the question. ;) Tuff scores extremely high for me too, but Shotgun Messiah a bit patchy to match it with the big guns... for me.

Heartland wipes the floor with both of them. :whistle::tumbsup:

But not Kane :)

But not Kane :)

Mate, so far Kane is easily on top of the 49 releases from 91 I've already rated.

lol, what are you talking about? Glen already answered the question. ;) Tuff scores extremely high for me too, but Shotgun Messiah a bit patchy to match it with the big guns... for me.

yeah thought there are more than one :D

brother Kouros, Heartland debut is slightly below 80% mate, maybe you forgot to count the fillers 'That Thing' and some other weaker tracks like 'Don't Cast Your Shadow' and 'Paper Heart' :D

yeah thought there are more than one :D

brother Kouros, Heartland debut is slightly below 80% mate, maybe you forgot to count the fillers 'That Thing' and some other weaker tracks like 'Don't Cast Your Shadow' and 'Paper Heart' :D

Yeah, Heartland's debut is by far their best album and a pretty good album, but not nearly on par with anything else we're talking about here. 'Real world' would be one of my favourite songs of 1991 but the rest of the album is a 7.5/10 fest. Barely another song worth mentioning on it after 'Teach you to dream' and 'Carrie-Ann.'

Glad to see there is other love for the Kane Roberts CD. Without a doubt, it was the surprise of my ratings adventure. I always knew I loved it, but didn't expect it to top everything in melodic rock. But it is just so immense.

I dribble on about passion for craft being one of the biggest draw cards for me in the music I love (and why I love Cauterize so much), and I guess that's why Kane nails it for me. He may have co-written this album with Desmond Child, but he stamps every song as his own and the way he stretches his voice across this album is so awesome to me. Just drenched in passion. You listen to Bon Jovi or Cher's version of 'Does anybody really fall in love anymore' and what you hear is two artists that had "made it" and were comfortable where they were, compared with someone who wanted to make it so badly, and put ever single last bit of his heart and soul into a last ditch effort to crack the big time... haha... yeah, I'm definitely rambling. But whatever Kane Roberts and Desmond Child did on this album, it sure as hell worked. May not have made Kane Roberts a household name, but it seems like it's not just me who holds this album in extremely high regards in terms of it's overall place in "our genre."

I think KANE ROBERTS 'Saints' deserved a high praise, it's really a consistent and great album, what's not to love about 'Does Anybody ..', 'Dance Little Sister', or 'Rebel Heart', but for me the 8th track is a bit low, and maybe 3-4 tracks are worth 8.25 - 8.75, so I guess 87% is totally fine. Did you rate it over 95% ?

I think KANE ROBERTS 'Saints' deserved a high praise, it's really a consistent and great album, what's not to love about 'Does Anybody ..', 'Dance Little Sister', or 'Rebel Heart', but for me the 8th track is a bit low, and maybe 3-4 tracks are worth 8.25 - 8.75, so I guess 87% is totally fine. Did you rate it over 95% ?

I rated it 99%. I just absolutely love it. 'I'm not looking for an angel' is no doubt the "weakest" song, and I thought it'd bring the score down for me, but as I listened to it even that just blew me away with the huge chorus... especially when it drops into the "I need someone who's as bad as you" part, but even before we get to the chorus... let's be honest. The pre-chorus is one of the best on the entire album. Absolutely love it. Yeah, I gave the song a 9.5/10 and would stand by it proudly. 'Twisted' and 'You always want it' both got a 9.75/10 and the rest was 10/10 for me. This album just defines what I wanted out of the melodic hard rock genre.