New Jettblack album in the works

Captain Howdy

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not at all singling out this band, who I'm a big fan of, but I hate that we the fans must now serve as the financial department of the record label these days. There have been so many of these campaigns lately on sites like Kickstarter, PledgeMusic, Indiegogo, etc. Some fans might be honored to help, some people might consider it a fresh new alternative, but it's really just depressing when you truly think about the reason things are this way now.

Back to being positive, JettBlack rocks and I'm glad that they're making another album.

I'm not at all singling out this band, who I'm a big fan of, but I hate that we the fans must now serve as the financial department of the record label these days. There have been so many of these campaigns lately on sites like Kickstarter, PledgeMusic, Indiegogo, etc. Some fans might be honored to help, some people might consider it a fresh new alternative, but it's really just depressing when you truly think about the reason things are this way now.

Back to being positive, JettBlack rocks and I'm glad that they're making another album.

I agree. It's not our job to finance your art. Put it out and if it's good, I will buy it.

I dont understand this logic.There is no record label, hence the reason they do this.

Simple fact is, paying for the album in advance to have it made is no different to paying for it after its made. If there is no funding then there is no album.

Its actually brilliant that we can do this now, not sad that its come to this. It means that bands can distance themselves from labels and actually take any money they make from sales from non pledgers when its released themselves, rather than the label take their hefty cut.

The fact that it gives fans extra little bonuses and also makes a lot of people feel like they are actually part of the process, makes it even better.

If people dont wanna pledge, fair enough, you will still be able to buy it later if they make the target. But if people dont pledge, no new album ... simple.

People should be supporting bands if they go this route, not complaining.

Lets face it, its no different to concerts. You pay for your tickets in advance, and if not enough tickets sell then the show will probably be cancelled.

• My Little Pony

I dont understand this logic.There is no record label, hence the reason they do this.

Simple fact is, paying for the album in advance to have it made is no different to paying for it after its made. If there is no funding then there is no album.

Its actually brilliant that we can do this now, not sad that its come to this. It means that bands can distance themselves from labels and actually take any money they make from sales from non pledgers when its released themselves, rather than the label take their hefty cut.

The fact that it gives fans extra little bonuses and also makes a lot of people feel like they are actually part of the process, makes it even better.

If people dont wanna pledge, fair enough, you will still be able to buy it later if they make the target. But if people dont pledge, no new album ... simple.

Lets face it, its no different to concerts. You pay for your tickets in advance, and if not enough tickets sell then the show will probably be cancelled.

Yep. That's how I see it.

Yep. That's how I see it.

+ 1

...and in most cases the result is worth it (e.g the new Spock's Beard disc). I think that 'Raining Rock' was a massive step forward for this band - I like it much better than their debut.

Steel Panther are doing a campaign as well for their new album, which makes me wonder whether they (and Jettblack) have actually lost their major-label contracts or if this is only another way to get the fans some bonus while being sure that the album is going to sell well enough to cover its costs.

I dont know about Panther, and dont know for certain with Jettblack, but I know they had been pissed off with Spinefarm for some time now as they felt like they were given zero support from the label.

Hearing the news about the Pledge campaign has lead me to think that the Black Gold album compilation was to finish their contract (they probably signed a 3 album deal if this is true).

I'll pay for them NOT to make another album ;-)

Really? You don't like them? I'm surprised...

Look I get the reason for doing it but that's what banks are for if you aren't going to use a label (though I find it hard to believe no one would want them). This is what you chose to do for a living. The climate is ever changing and record companies are going away. That still doesn't mean I am paying the band to do the album. Do I need to name the 76 bands that have had great albums then put out a turd?

I hope they get it, put out a great album and blow up huge but it ain't going to be me financing the damn thing.

Look I get the reason for doing it but that's what banks are for if you aren't going to use a label (though I find it hard to believe no one would want them). This is what you chose to do for a living. The climate is ever changing and record companies are going away. That still doesn't mean I am paying the band to do the album. Do I need to name the 76 bands that have had great albums then put out a turd?

I hope they get it, put out a great album and blow up huge but it ain't going to be me financing the damn thing.

to be honest there were 2 really killer songs on the second album - 'Prisoner Of Love' and 'Never Gonna Give It Up'....the rest of it sounds like an above average pub band. Just very basic hard rock.

As for helping fund bands albums.......if you fund do you still have to buy it when released? If so, yeah its a right con. The band get their album funded by the fans and then the fans have to buy the album. Something wrong there ??

There is no record label, hence the reason they do this.

If there is no funding then there is no album.

Those are two of my biggest points right there. There used to be an entire industry to make music happen. Now it's getting to a point where it's up to a select few people who really care to act as investors or it won't happen at all. That's why it's very sad that it's come to this.

I understand some of the positive points. Bands have more control, fans feel involved, etc. But it hardly outweighs the old way. You mentioned that bands can keep more of the money now, but there's no way that artists are making anywhere close to the income that they were making when there was a real business behind them.

One of the worst things is that new talent won't be fostered. Fans may be willing to invest in bands that they already know, but a new band that nobody knows about will have a very difficult time explaining why people should spend their money ahead of time.

Hate to tell you this, as I know the band, but they made next to nothing from Spinefarm.

Simple fact is the best way for bands to go these days is self releasing because unless you are big, record labels (just like the old days) dont give a shit.

If you look at a good portion of the bands on this database who were on genuine record labels back in the day, I can bet you a good portion of them made no money or ended up in debt to the labels, and certainly got no support.

A good example is a band like Pretty Boy Floyd. They were on MCA, had some buzz around them at the time, were about to go out on a headline tour, but then the label pulled the rug out from under them and refused to finance the tour.

There is a chance that JB are still on Spinefarm as their profile is still on their website, but if they are doing this while still signed with the label, then the most they will get is probably a distribution deal.

As I said before, its good that bands now have this option because back in the day, bands got screwed over left and right, and thats why so many bands only ever released one album or have unreleased albums that are only just coming to light.

Bands these days have a lot more options to get themselves released than bands in the 80s. Yeah, none of them are probably gonna become mega stars now, but being on a label is no guarantee either.

to be honest there were 2 really killer songs on the second album - 'Prisoner Of Love' and 'Never Gonna Give It Up'....the rest of it sounds like an above average pub band. Just very basic hard rock.

As for helping fund bands albums.......if you fund do you still have to buy it when released? If so, yeah its a right con. The band get their album funded by the fans and then the fans have to buy the album. Something wrong there ??

Well we must be listening to a different album then, cause the one I heard was full of great songs.

As for the funding, no you dont have to pay again. Your funding pays for your copy of the album. The only people who will have to buy it is people who didnt fund it, but they usually get it later anyway.

Hate to tell you this, as I know the band, but they made next to nothing from Spinefarm.

Simple fact is the best way for bands to go these days is self releasing because unless you are big, record labels (just like the old days) dont give a shit.

If you look at a good portion of the bands on this database who were on genuine record labels back in the day, I can bet you a good portion of them made no money or ended up in debt to the labels, and certainly got no support.

A good example is a band like Pretty Boy Floyd. They were on MCA, had some buzz around them at the time, were about to go out on a headline tour, but then the label pulled the rug out from under them and refused to finance the tour.

There is a chance that JB are still on Spinefarm as their profile is still on their website, but if they are doing this while still signed with the label, then the most they will get is probably a distribution deal.

As I said before, its good that bands now have this option because back in the day, bands got screwed over left and right, and thats why so many bands only ever released one album or have unreleased albums that are only just coming to light.

Bands these days have a lot more options to get themselves released than bands in the 80s. Yeah, none of them are probably gonna become mega stars now, but being on a label is no guarantee either.

I agree but in all fairness how many people had heard of Spinefarm before the Jettblack cd? I assumed it was the name of the record company they chose for themselves to release their stuff. There are labels out there that don't screw the bands over, such as Frontiers. Or as you said, they can finance it themselves and put it out on their own, which is a great option for bands today if they can afford to do it.

Look there is an argument for both sides and I hope they put out another killer album because I disagree with most on here and think the last album was awesome...but I ain't paying for them to do it. I will surely buy it when it comes out though.

I agree with whats been said too but the harsh truth is I wouldnt fund an album which I know id play about twice and then shelve. I just dont think theyll change their style and there are so many better bands out there - imo of course

I agree but in all fairness how many people had heard of Spinefarm before the Jettblack cd? I assumed it was the name of the record company they chose for themselves to release their stuff. There are labels out there that don't screw the bands over, such as Frontiers. Or as you said, they can finance it themselves and put it out on their own, which is a great option for bands today if they can afford to do it.

Look there is an argument for both sides and I hope they put out another killer album because I disagree with most on here and think the last album was awesome...but I ain't paying for them to do it. I will surely buy it when it comes out though.

Spinefarm are now owned by Universal, so there will always be politics involved. And as for who had heard of Spinefarm before JB? Well a certain Reckless Love might tell you otherwise.

Dont forget that Mr Cooper is also on Spinefarm these days as well.

Not trying to say anything bad about Frontiers, but even they are not a sure thing for artists because if it was nobody would ever leave them. An artist can only release through a label if the label wants to release them and obviously Frontiers cannot sign everyone.

I have no issue with them doing this but I rarely pay for it until it comes out but I understand why bands are doing it lately. Hell even some movies and getting made this way and many new businesses are getting opened from kickstarter so it's nothing new.

As others mentioned above Spinefarm has been around a while and released the Reckless Love album and I could be wrong but they are much more of a UK label(I think). The problem with Frontiers now is they seem to only sign bigger bands or artists these days with a few exceptions plus from what one person signed to the label told me their royalty rate was only 4% so they are making much less than they did(percentage not dollars) than they even did when this band was around in the 80s. Frontiers is great at what they do but some bands do just as well with Spinefarm, Escape, AOR Heaven and others.

I also loved the last Jettblack disc, maybe not quite as good as the debut but still very good and I still spin it alot and look forward to a new one.

Spinefarm are now owned by Universal, so there will always be politics involved. And as for who had heard of Spinefarm before JB? Well a certain Reckless Love might tell you otherwise.

Not trying to say anything bad about Frontiers, but even they are not a sure thing for artists because if it was nobody would ever leave them. An artist can only release through a label if the label wants to release them and obviously Frontiers cannot sign everyone.

I don't know who Mr Cooper is and I actually think Reckless Love sucks so JB is the only SF artist I have ever seen.

Frontiers would sign them I'm sure since they are better than a lot of the bands they have signed.

I don't know who Mr Cooper is and I actually think Reckless Love sucks so JB is the only SF artist I have ever seen.

Frontiers would sign them I'm sure since they are better than a lot of the bands they have signed.

I believe he is referring to Alice Cooper.

I believe he is referring to Alice Cooper.

Good, I don't like him either. Killer golfer though! ;)