New Jettblack album in the works

Captain Howdy

As long as you dont stray too far from your sound (which they havent) I want change from album to album. I dont want the same stuff over and over again. This is the reason that for me bands like AC/DC, Maiden and ZZ Top etc are all just greatest hits bands with the odd truly great album here and there. I dont want to hear the same thing on every album with maybe the odd tweak here and there. I still like all those bands, and still buy their albums, but I usually cherry pick the odd song here and there and make my own playlist rather than play a whole album.

Its one of the reasons Motley is one of my top bands. Every album from them has been different. Even their worst album is a good album for me.

I will be honest that this new Jettblack one is so far my least favourite, but its defo a grower in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more. I hate it when bands sound exactly the same. But they have to keep certain elements as they grow. A lot of bands have been able to do it. Tesla come to mind.

I'm not 100% sure what is missing from this album but whatever it is, it's making it dull as hell.

The songs, man. Simple as that. They're just really poor songs with no hooks or melody at all. And to me it's as easy as that. Like I said above, the musicianship and production is still top notch, but it counts for shit if you don't have any half decent songs to use it on.

I like bands who mix it up too, but you have to stay within reason. I would rather a band stick to a samey formula than change for the sake of change and end up sounding awful... which is what I think has happened here. I'd much, much, much rather a carbon copy of either of their first two albums than this trainwreck. And that's coming from someone who doesn't really rate their first two too high, but they're sure as hell a lot better than this one.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as you dont stray too far from your sound (which they havent) I want change from album to album. I dont want the same stuff over and over again. This is the reason that for me bands like AC/DC, Maiden and ZZ Top etc are all just greatest hits bands with the odd truly great album here and there. I dont want to hear the same thing on every album with maybe the odd tweak here and there. I still like all those bands, and still buy their albums, but I usually cherry pick the odd song here and there and make my own playlist rather than play a whole album.

Its one of the reasons Motley is one of my top bands. Every album from them has been different. Even their worst album is a good album for me.

I will be honest that this new Jettblack one is so far my least favourite, but its defo a grower in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more. I hate it when bands sound exactly the same. But they have to keep certain elements as they grow. A lot of bands have been able to do it. Tesla come to mind.

I'm not 100% sure what is missing from this album but whatever it is, it's making it dull as hell.

The songs, man. Simple as that. They're just really poor songs with no hooks or melody at all. And to me it's as easy as that. Like I said above, the musicianship and production is still top notch, but it counts for shit if you don't have any half decent songs to use it on.

I like bands who mix it up too, but you have to stay within reason. I would rather a band stick to a samey formula than change for the sake of change and end up sounding awful... which is what I think has happened here. I'd much, much, much rather a carbon copy of either of their first two albums than this trainwreck. And that's coming from someone who doesn't really rate their first two too high, but they're sure as hell a lot better than this one.

Agree with Geoff, I don't mind a slight "change" in the formula but not this. And yes, Production and Musicianship are totally there but without good songs.

arbitrary rating system people use on here

This guy can stay!

You can go tho; -)

Jog on.

I wish you both would leave. :whistle::gone:

:lol: But especially the karpet guy. I have to admit; I think if I had never rated an album before I saw Karpetass' many anti-rating posts, I would start doing it, just to piss off Karpetnostrils. My favourite part of seeing people rate albums is how much it irritates Karpetnose. I'm all like jeez, dude, why do you care so much? Why is it such a problem for you? And I love that it irritates him and just want to rate everything I see.

And just so I'm clear, the "arbitrary rating system people use on here" is in direct contrast to the 100% factual ratings system that other people on other sites use? Amirite?

'Cause, ha, silly me. I was under this stupid impression that a few people here like rating albums based on their own opinion and thoughts, just like other publications and websites have done since the dawn of time. I've never seen anyone say that our ratings here are anything other than our opinions. Not sure why it has to be such a deal to anyone else?

Anyway, getting sidetracked. Where were we at? Oh yeah, the new Jettblack album is shit. In my opinion.

• 2 months later...

Hasn't grown on me. It's shit.

Sad to say, I agree.

Hasn't grown on me. It's shit.

Sad to say, I agree.

The last one was pretty rough too aside from one or 2 clear standout tunes.

Nope, 2 awesome songs and a handful of above average songs for me.

Be damned if this thing has grown on me....

Sorry mate - thats not allowed. Geoff said so ;-)

QFFT. The extra F is to emphasise a point I feel very strongly about.

The album is a mongrel piece of shit and trying to turn it into anything but is such a massive waste of time. Instead of trying to polish dogshit, you could spend time listening to stuff that always was, is and will always be good.

Crazy parallel I just thought of, but I wonder if you people who feel sympathy for these shit albums and need to turn them into something listenable also strongly disagree with capital punishment. Sometimes, people and CDs just simply don't deserve a second chance. ;)

Be damned if this thing has grown on me....

Sorry mate - thats not allowed. Geoff said so ;-)

QFFT. The extra F is to emphasise a point I feel very strongly about.

The album is a mongrel piece of shit and trying to turn it into anything but is such a massive waste of time. Instead of trying to polish dogshit, you could spend time listening to stuff that always was, is and will always be good.

Crazy parallel I just thought of, but I wonder if you people who feel sympathy for these shit albums and need to turn them into something listenable also strongly disagree with capital punishment. Sometimes, people and CDs just simply don't deserve a second chance. ;)

No I actually like it now. It's heavy & pissed off...a departure for sure. Well lets be honest, they are no Cauterize (Hang on while I lmao) but the album is very good after more spins :) I guess I expected more from them initially but it's just different, not bad though.

First Dynazty now Jettblack, hopefully it ends with them and other bands don't change their style like these 2 bands did !!!

First Dynazty now Jettblack, hopefully it ends with them and other bands don't change their style like these 2 bands did !!!

By what I saw of the darkness at swedenrock I can only imaging the new disc will be a bit of a turd burger. Or maybe it was just the ordinary "im in a liam gallagher arsehole type of mood tonight" act he was putting on.

I havent even listened to this Jettblack album yet.

As for darkness - i skipped through on Spotify and it just sounded weak.

By what I saw of the darkness at swedenrock I can only imaging the new disc will be a bit of a turd burger.

But aren't we talking about bands changing their sound? How would this be any different to any other Darkness disc?? I've given it a couple of spins and it is more or less wretched. Basically on par with the new Jettblack album.

Anyway, Jarred, if you're happy liking what you yourself has already labelled crap, good luck mate. Not my kind of thing to do that, but to each their own. We all called this CD what it was when we first heard it - and that is a piece of shit. So that fact remains; the album is still shit. They haven't re-recorded the album since then. All that's changed is that you've conditioned yourself to appreciate the shitness of the album. Nothing else has changed. So yeah, it's not something I personally understand, but enjoy it, mate.

And yeah, you're right as fuck about one thing, and that is that this is no Cauterize.

By what I saw of the darkness at swedenrock I can only imaging the new disc will be a bit of a turd burger.

But aren't we talking about bands changing their sound? How would this be any different to any other Darkness disc?? I've given it a couple of spins and it is more or less wretched. Basically on par with the new Jettblack album.

Anyway, Jarred, if you're happy liking what you yourself has already labelled crap, good luck mate. Not my kind of thing to do that, but to each their own. We all called this CD what it was when we first heard it - and that is a piece of shit. So that fact remains; the album is still shit. They haven't re-recorded the album since then. All that's changed is that you've conditioned yourself to appreciate the shitness of the album. Nothing else has changed. So yeah, it's not something I personally understand, but enjoy it, mate.

And yeah, you're right as fuck about one thing, and that is that this is no Cauterize.

Yep, my first reaction was the same. Hated it...things change though. It's still no masterpiece but I do enjoy it now. It was a matter of spinning it more than a couple times before discarding it forever. I have a feeling you have missed out on some nice cd's because of that over time.

I'm glad I had the Cauterize thing pegged because I definitely wouldn't be able to listen to it ;)

I have a feeling you have missed out on some nice cd's because of that over time.

If you can find one single one, I will pay off your mortgage. As I said in this or some other thread, when I was finding my feet with the music I liked, about 15 years ago, I overlooked a couple of albums I now adore. But that was about 15 years ago and I never made the same mistake once after that. I am 100% confident that I know what I like these days, and have know for 14 years... so I know if I like something or I don't. Fact is, it's not that hard.

I have a feeling you have missed out on some nice cd's because of that over time.

If you can find one single one, I will pay off your mortgage. As I said in this or some other thread, when I was finding my feet with the music I liked, about 15 years ago, I overlooked a couple of albums I now adore. But that was about 15 years ago and I never made the same mistake once after that. I am 100% confident that I know what I like these days, and have know for 14 years... so I know if I like something or I don't. Fact is, it's not that hard.

I think the main thing here is that for something to be defined as a 'grower' you have to like it somewhat in the first place.

Of course most people know if you hate something on first listen and of course unless you are mad you will discard the album and never likely listen to it again.

What I refer to in these discussions is albums which i 'liked' ....say a 70% er, but over time came to love - ie it rose by in excess of say 15% to the point that I love it and return again and again.

One example would be the last Beggars & Thieves album - when I first listened to that I was really disappointed in that it wasnt like the debut - not bad as such but just not what I wanted to hear.........however over time the album has 'grown' to be one of my favs from the last 5 years and given the choice between that or the debut I would probably choose the newie (not that I dont love the debut).

Anyway I guess my point is that I could have discarded that album as a run of mill 70% mid pack forget it type of album, and missed out on a true gem.

Hope that makes sense ???

I think the main thing here is that for something to be defined as a 'grower' you have to like it somewhat in the first place.

Of course most people know if you hate something on first listen and of course unless you are mad you will discard the album and never likely listen to it again.

What I refer to in these discussions is albums which i 'liked' ....say a 70% er, but over time came to love - ie it rose by in excess of say 15% to the point that I love it and return again and again.

One example would be the last Beggars & Thieves album - when I first listened to that I was really disappointed in that it wasnt like the debut - not bad as such but just not what I wanted to hear.........however over time the album has 'grown' to be one of my favs from the last 5 years and given the choice between that or the debut I would probably choose the newie (not that I dont love the debut).

Anyway I guess my point is that I could have discarded that album as a run of mill 70% mid pack forget it type of album, and missed out on a true gem.

Hope that makes sense ???

It totz makes sense because it's an expanded version of exactly what I myself said in this or some other thread... that a good album can turn into a great album in time. But I see no point in the world, for instance, in taking a 50% type album and playing it to death until you think, oh, maybe it's actually worth 60%! Which is what I assume is the best you can do with this album. No amount of listening is going to turn this dogshit into an 80%+ type album, so why even bother with it? Admit it's rubbish, forget about it and move on to one of the many other albums which are already good.