New Jettblack album in the works

Captain Howdy

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the other 2 albums suck as well................

What?!!

In an effort to get this on my registry and out of my ears, I dropped a rating on it today and it came in at a dismal 53%. 'Slaves' is the best song on here, imo, but I can't see me ever even listening to that song again.

Gotta apologise to Halestorm, though. Sure, their album sucks balls too, but I said above that I thought the Jettblack would be better. It's definitely not. Halestorm came in at a dismal 59% but at least there's a small handful of okay songs on it. Much more than can be said about Jettblack.

From the single I can see why this a "pledge" album, record company probably said "if you're not going to write songs like your first 2 albums, you're on your own!" lol

Not even close to the truth. Spinefarm have been total arseholes in the whole deal.

Spinefarm released the Black gold album when the band said they were not interested in it, and then came up with such awful artwork that the band said they would do their own design as they at least wanted something with their name on it to look good.

Then the contract ended and they started recording the new album through the pledge campaign. But Spinefarm had first refusal on releasing it but had to take out that option before a specific date. They waited til after that date to turn round and say they wanted to release it, but the band were happy they were too late as they told Spinefarm they were not interested in dealing with them anymore.

While on Spinefarm they got little or no promotion, and had to do pretty much everything themselves.

As for the album. Its great. Not as catchy and instant as previous releases, and a bit heavier for certain, but its most defo a grower.

The one song on it that harks back to the first two albums more is Kick in the teeth.

In an effort to get this on my registry and out of my ears, I dropped a rating on it today and it came in at a dismal 53%. 'Slaves' is the best song on here, imo, but I can't see me ever even listening to that song again.

Gotta apologise to Halestorm, though. Sure, their album sucks balls too, but I said above that I thought the Jettblack would be better. It's definitely not. Halestorm came in at a dismal 59% but at least there's a small handful of okay songs on it. Much more than can be said about Jettblack.

Make sure you take a good listen to Halestorm again, probably it should be 39% ? :D

From the single I can see why this a "pledge" album, record company probably said "if you're not going to write songs like your first 2 albums, you're on your own!" lol

Not even close to the truth. Spinefarm have been total arseholes in the whole deal.

Spinefarm released the Black gold album when the band said they were not interested in it, and then came up with such awful artwork that the band said they would do their own design as they at least wanted something with their name on it to look good.

Then the contract ended and they started recording the new album through the pledge campaign. But Spinefarm had first refusal on releasing it but had to take out that option before a specific date. They waited til after that date to turn round and say they wanted to release it, but the band were happy they were too late as they told Spinefarm they were not interested in dealing with them anymore.

While on Spinefarm they got little or no promotion, and had to do pretty much everything themselves.

As for the album. Its great. Not as catchy and instant as previous releases, and a bit heavier for certain, but its most defo a grower.

The one song on it that harks back to the first two albums more is Kick in the teeth.

To each their own but great? I barely made it through the thing it was so awful. Right after I listened to Raining Rock again and there is no comparison. He is singing about stupid shit on this album and it lacks hooks so bad. It's easily the worst release this year by far. It could be compared to Dynazty's last release as a huge flop. Those releases could end both bands...

Make sure you take a good listen to Halestorm again, probably it should be 39% ? :D

They are two awful albums. The reason each gets over the 50% mark for me (because on paper you're right. They should both be about 20%):

Jettblack - the songs are completely terrible, but, I still rate the musicianship. I consider myself fair and my ratings span the full compass of music. A rap or dance song I hate would be all 0's and 1's. The fact that Jettblack can still play an instrument pretty damn well is purely the only reason I rate them around 50%. Because yes, the songs are terrible. And sorry to Howdy, I usually value your opinion but feel you're way too close to the band for this one. It's a terrible disc and trying to say it's anything but, to me, says you're in too deep. ;)

As for Halestorm, there are a handful of the worst songs I've heard this year on this piece of shit, but to it's credit there are about 5-6 okay songs. Gotta say, I hate the production too. Sounds shit for a band of their calibre. The production on the Jettblack disc is 100% better.

To each their own but great? I barely made it through the thing it was so awful. Right after I listened to Raining Rock again and there is no comparison. He is singing about stupid shit on this album and it lacks hooks so bad. It's easily the worst release this year by far. It could be compared to Dynazty's last release as a huge flop. Those releases could end both bands...

AGREE

Yes great. I like it. Simple as. You dont think it is, but fair enough I knew this would not be to most peoples taste, but as my musical tastes are very eclectic I see a lot more in this than most here it seems. No different I suppose to some of the albums and bands that I see getting rave reviews on here that I think are down right weak or mediocre (Crashdiet springs to mind here).

I can listen to it but it definitely isn't a great record and certainly won't become one of my faves. Listened to it in the car today but it's not something I blast full volume because I don't want anybody to hear me listening to this stuff LOL. It's certainly not that type of record, take Motley Crue, W.A.S.P. or even most songs from Jettblack's last album, now this is stuff you turn up loud when driving around and feel cool all that kinda stuff. Disguises is sort of ... mellow, still has guitars and can be described as a rock record but I wouldn't ''rock out'' to it. If that makes sense :wtf:

I'm probably just tryin to like or justify it cause I spent $$$ on it LOL :drink2:

They have every right to release music that they feel is something they are in to. Problem is you spent years building a fanbase that loves the other 3 releases and then you release something so far out in left field you risk losing your fans. I can honestly say that if they or Dynazty were to put out albums again like their last releases I would wash my hands of them.

They have every right to release music that they feel is something they are in to. Problem is you spent years building a fanbase that loves the other 3 releases and then you release something so far out in left field you risk losing your fans. I can honestly say that if they or Dynazty were to put out albums again like their last releases I would wash my hands of them.

Yes, I agree. They use terms like "being an artist", and "growing as an artist" so sick of that shit!!!!

As long as you dont stray too far from your sound (which they havent) I want change from album to album. I dont want the same stuff over and over again. This is the reason that for me bands like AC/DC, Maiden and ZZ Top etc are all just greatest hits bands with the odd truly great album here and there. I dont want to hear the same thing on every album with maybe the odd tweak here and there. I still like all those bands, and still buy their albums, but I usually cherry pick the odd song here and there and make my own playlist rather than play a whole album.

Its one of the reasons Motley is one of my top bands. Every album from them has been different. Even their worst album is a good album for me.

I will be honest that this new Jettblack one is so far my least favourite, but its defo a grower in my opinion.

As long as you dont stray too far from your sound (which they havent) I want change from album to album. I dont want the same stuff over and over again. This is the reason that for me bands like AC/DC, Maiden and ZZ Top etc are all just greatest hits bands with the odd truly great album here and there. I dont want to hear the same thing on every album with maybe the odd tweak here and there. I still like all those bands, and still buy their albums, but I usually cherry pick the odd song here and there and make my own playlist rather than play a whole album.

Its one of the reasons Motley is one of my top bands. Every album from them has been different. Even their worst album is a good album for me.

I will be honest that this new Jettblack one is so far my least favourite, but its defo a grower in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more. I hate it when bands sound exactly the same. But they have to keep certain elements as they grow. A lot of bands have been able to do it. Tesla come to mind.

I'm not 100% sure what is missing from this album but whatever it is, it's making it dull as hell.