Negative feedback

I received my first negative feedback on eBay yesterday. Artch - Another Return To Church Hill is the item in question:

http://www.ebay.com/...E-/251233081893

Feedback came with this remark: "CD is a cheap BMG Record Club copy which was not described in the listing." I have seen BMG Record Club mentioned in auctions, but not sure what it is. I haven't noticed any mention of that company/club on the artwork, just Metal Blade and Enigma. BTW, buyer never contacted me about this issue.

Also, this buyer (alphamumerical) made his feedback profile private, so I can't check if he left excessive negative feedback for others.

Questions:

-What exactly is BMG Record Club?

-Was that Artch CD ever released by them?

-Has anyone dealt with this buyer?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Maarten

You got screwed by an anal bidder. Those shitheads should never buy on Ebay they are way too demanding and never communicate with sellers. Plus he's a douchebag for being Canadian and screwing you over that way...not the Canadian way.

Ebay will do nothing for you, they hate their sellers. I got a neutral the other day for shipping my cd without the jewel case, I ship all of them that way, it is clearly stated in my description, in bold, italic and in red that that is the way I ship, so the buyer can save money. Dumb ass bidder didn't bother reading the description, nor communicate with me. Don't forget with Ebay the buyer is always right.

I received my first negative feedback on eBay yesterday. Artch - Another Return To Church Hill is the item in question:

http://www.ebay.com/...E-/251233081893

Feedback came with this remark: "CD is a cheap BMG Record Club copy which was not described in the listing." I have seen BMG Record Club mentioned in auctions, but not sure what it is. I haven't noticed any mention of that company/club on the artwork, just Metal Blade and Enigma. BTW, buyer never contacted me about this issue.

Also, this buyer (alphamumerical) made his feedback profile private, so I can't check if he left excessive negative feedback for others.

Questions:

-What exactly is BMG Record Club?

-Was that Artch CD ever released by them?

-Has anyone dealt with this buyer?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Maarten

BMG record club is essentially one of those services you sign up for and get CDs at regular monthly intervals or something I think. They release the same CDs as elsewhere, but have their own logo on them as well.

There are some bidders out there who only want specific label versions etc, but thats down to them to check before bidding if they are that fussed.

Only thing thats a bit out of order with sellers on Amazon or eBay is selling Russian imports and not notifying people as they are not supposed to be sold outside Russia, and are sold for a huge mark up, which is why they do it.

Thanks for the reactions guys! One of my questions remains: do any of you know IF that Artch CD was ever released by BMG Record Club? Where in the eBay picture can I see their logo?

I don't see BMG written anywhere on your scans of the disc that sold? Only Metal Blade & Enigma are visible to me.

Not 100% sure (too blurry to read) but the upper left corner of the back insert has a rectangular yellow box which looks very much like the BMG labels on some of my cds. I can see a sequence at the top which starts "D" followed by 6 numbers which is what my Babylon AD cd has.

BMG and Columbia House were music mail order clubs allowing you to select 10 cds for a penny as long as you purchased an additional 4-6 cds from them at their regular listed prices over a span of 2 years. They are fully licensed, authentic and identical to their retail counterparts but for that label on the back and the disc itself reads "distributed by BMG music (along with BMG's address) under the band's record company (in this case Arista). Hell. You didn't even know you had one.

It's all good to me but a lot of collectors frown upon them for some reason. Maybe they know something I don't.

I got a neutral the other day for shipping my cd without the jewel case, I ship all of them that way, it is clearly stated in my description, in bold, italic and in red that that is the way I ship, so the buyer can save money.

That is pathetic. I hate that buyer just from reading this - what a f***ing shithead! Some people just aren't fit to be in the real world, interacting with other human beings.

I am surprised that BMG Record Club released a rather obscure title like that - if they did... The picture is indeed too blurry to tell. This buyer just irritates me, if he is so keen on not receiving a BMG pressing he should have been warned by the picture showing the yellow box on the back insert. He could have asked specific questions to be sure what he was getting. Or even ask for a refund after he received the CD. Oh well, fortunately the majority of the buyers communicate well!

I know the dude,kinda anal and big spender ...and i had the impression that he was looking only for first pressings...i think this is not the first pressing.

Bit off topic now,do you have vinyls from dutch metal bands for sale?

I know the dude,kinda anal and big spender ...and i had the impression that he was looking only for first pressings...i think this is not the first pressing.

Bit off topic now,do you have vinyls from dutch metal bands for sale?

Do you know him personally or just online?

I don't have any vinyl from Dutch metal bands for sale, but when visiting records shows and used record stores I come across a lot of that stuff. Since collecting vinyl is on the rise prices have raised a lot though. What are you looking for?

Look at the upper left hand corner of the back insert. Any cd that has that square with the numbers like D- something is a BMG pressing for future reference.

A lot of people don't like BMG or Columbia House cds. Both are record club cds. They just don't have the value as a retail version of that particular cd. As far as cds go, they are virtually identical in sound quality. Usually they are manufactured in the same plant as the retail one. They also had different catalog codes from the store bought versions.

Cassettes from the record clubs (in the 80's) were another story. They usually were of lesser quality than the retail versions and made elsewhere.

The older BMG releases subsituted the bar code area with there own system of cataloging. Usually it had this in the white box instead of the bar codes.

Mtd. for BMG Direct Marketing Inc.

under License

6550 East 30th Street,

Indianapolis, Indiana 46219

Later on they included the bar codes and Mtd. for BMG Direct Marketing Inc. all in the white box.

Columbia Records club releases would have the barcode but would have words included on the inserts, and cd stating "Manufactured by Columbia House Under License". On later releases they just put the letters "CRC" on the inserts and cd. CRC standing for Columbia Records Club.

There is no difference in sound quality from the record club versions and retail versions. Just from a collecting standpoint the retail versions are more desirable and easier to resale. It is good when selling a cd to list it as a record club or retail version. Also the buyer should be more responsible and look at the pictures and description. If someone has a cd that I can't tell the difference, I just ask. Obviously the buyer in your case did not look at the picture closely. It is clearly BMG.

Hope this helps everyone.

Thanks for the detailed information 5150, much appreciated! I'm from the Netherlands and we don't have such record clubs here. If I was aware of the difference I would have mentioned it in the description. Will double check my CD's for future auctions.