Red Dawn 2012

66 mustang

I love the original, The remake looks unnecessary, but entertaining.

I've been following the bizarre saga of this movie for a couple of years now, for a while it looked like this flick was never gonna come out. It was actually shot in 2009 (!) and was supposed to be released late that year, but the studio that made it (MGM) went bankrupt before filming was completed. At the time MGM went belly up the movie still needed post production work done (i.e. music, sound effects, etc.). So it sat on a shelf for a couple of years, then MGM sold it to another studio so it could be completed.

THEN in mid-stream they had to do major changes to the story... in the original script, the invaders were the Chinese; (as opposed to the Russians in the original); apparently there was some outcry in China about that, and since China also represents a rather large chunk of the world wide box office nowadays, the producers decided to change it so that the bad guys are now North Koreans. That required a lot of re-coloring of uniforms, vehicles, and insignias via CGI.

Who knows it might still be sitting on a shelf today if Chris Hemsworth hadn't gone on on to do "Thor" and "The Avengers," and Josh Hutcherson hadn't done "Hunger Games." They were both nobodies when they made "Red Dawn" but they're both hot sh*t box office draws now.

It'll be interesting to see how this one does when it gets released, it's had a hell of a journey!!

Oh shit! As much as I loved the original, I'm going to have to see this. ('Course, it's 99.9999999999% assured it won't be in the movie theater, but still...)

• 2 months later...

The new "Red Dawn" got a one and a half star review in today's paper...which is about what I expected.

The critic made much of the fact that the bad guys were supposed to be Chinese and if they'd stayed that way, it might've been a more interesting story (apparently the original idea was that Beijing got tired of waiting for the U.S. to repay all the loans they took out from China, so they opt to forcibly re-possess the entire country), till the producers wimped out and changed them to North Koreans so they wouldn't offend Chinese audiences.

It also mentions that it's kind of funny to see Chris "Thor" Hemsworth and Josh "Hunger Games" Hutcherson, who were both unknowns when this film was made, playing second banana to Josh Peck of Nickelodeon's "Drake & Josh" fame (!!)... he got the lead cuz he was a bigger "name" at the time... but of course, he's fallen completely off the radar since then. Haha

And yet another perfect example of the decline of hollywood and there unoriginal path on the movie front. but I might go see it as well.

I might go see it as well.

I'll wait till the DVD comes to RedBox so it'll only cost me a buck and a quarter...

It's gonna get crushed at the box office this weekend. Everybody's gonna be going to see the new "Twilight" and/or "Skyfall."

The critic made much of the fact that the bad guys were supposed to be Chinese and if they'd stayed that way, it might've been a more interesting story (apparently the original idea was that Beijing got tired of waiting for the U.S. to repay all the loans they took out from China, so they opt to forcibly re-possess the entire country)

please avoid giving them new ideas for made-for-cable-tv movies...

The plot is preposterous. How is North Korea a threat to invade when they can't even feed their own people?

North Korea is about the only country left in the world that Hollywood can use as a "bad" guy without offending someone, somewhere, and therefore losing overseas box office dollars. The invaders were Chinese when the film was originally shot, but when China made a stink about it, they CGI'd the bad guys into North Koreans.

...which means the studio is a buncha pussies. If the producers had any faith in the film in the first place they would've said "Screw'em. We don't care about the Chinese audience" and let it go "as is." :P

The plot is preposterous. How is North Korea a threat to invade when they can't even feed their own people?

North Korea is about the only country left in the world that Hollywood can use as a "bad" guy without offending someone, somewhere, and therefore losing overseas box office dollars. The invaders were Chinese when the film was originally shot, but when China made a stink about it, they CGI'd the bad guys into North Koreans.

...which means the studio is a buncha pussies. If the producers had any faith in the film in the first place they would've said "Screw'em. We don't care about the Chinese audience" and let it go "as is." :P

OMG HOW ARE THEY EVER GOING TO REMAKE BLAZING SADDLES IF THEY CANT OFFEND ANYBODY???

I am dyin' to see "Iron Sky," it looks like a frickin' hoot. Unfortunately RedBox doesn't seem to be stocking it :(

So the weekend box office #'s are in, and it's official, "Red Dawn" got crushed like a bug... it opened with less than $15 million, which ranks it at #7 on the top 10 chart. Mind you, its budget was somewhere around $75 million. Ouch. Tank!

...that means it'll probably be out on DVD by New Year's. Cool... :D

duh, tunnel,,

haven't you ever watched bugs bunny? ;D

:rofl2:

This is so ironic, it was very very funny to just happen accrossed this video game info on Wikipedia, after we have been discussing this Red Dawn movie and the pussy punk media in the US who seem to not mind stirring shit up to boiling point then over flowing, but only things they feel are worthy, read through this video game info, and see the perfect next example I give your point about the media licking chinese ass, and sucking chinese balls then giving them a reach around, then passing it off on North Korea, LOL just go ahead and read through it.

http://en.wikipedia....nt_(video_game)

• 3 months later...