7. Love Chance

8. Back Door

9. Across the Sea

Band Members:

Chris Machart (voclas)

Craig Allen

Label: Janus Music

Matrix Code: 123765-R1- * 9402 X 22* DTI / A&R

I've had this album on my want list for a long time. I know I'm probably dreaming to think I'll find this at an affordable price but that hasn't stopped me looking. I've been searching for a download as well, but have only come across one dead link. Does anyone here actually own this album? Is it really as good as I've been led to believe? From looking at the cover you'd probably be forgiven for thinking this was a progressive rock album, however, apparently this is some very top quaity Melodic Rock/AOR. I'm not exactly sure where they're from but I've been led to believe they might be from Dallas TX or somewhere in that part of the world.

From a google search I've found that one copy sold for $189 and another copy is on E-Bay right now for $500 Buy It Now.

Here's a description that I found from endangeredcds auction (the one that sold for $189):

"Sometimes a CD is so hard to find that it doesn’t even register on the trusted barometers of rarity (i.e. an appearance in the Metal Mayhem collection, a ranking on Heavy Harmonies’ top rarities etc.) Across The Sea by The Psorce can’t be found on either website, and is not among the 45 million listings featured on Musicstack and GEMM either. So this isn’t just a one-in-a-million CD… it’s a zero-in-45-million rarity! You have better chances of winning the lottery than finding this one. But the melodic perfection here will DEFINITELY make you feel like you’re holding a golden ticket… a golden ticket to AOR paradise! Listen to “Reach Out” (click title) for example. Have you ever heard a more perfect example of AOR from an indie/unknown band? I know I haven’t! This mid-tempo track is pure bliss for fans of Diving for Pearls and The Cauze (the U.S. band from 1987). Chris Machart’s voice reminds me of a more AOR James Labrie (maybe from his Winter Rose period) with a healthy dose of Danny Malone (Diving for Pearls) and even Hugo (Valentine, Open Skyz). The track is mid-tempo in that to-die-for “Waiting for Love” (Alias), “New Moon” (Diving for Pearls) and “Every Time You Cry” (Strangeways) style. But this track is merely foreplay for what’s to come. “Coming Down” is a commercial, high-energy rocker similar to Gary Hughes at the top of his game, while “Run” is a pure 80s Night Ranger/Loverboy adrenalin rush! Find me three songs on your favorite U.S. AOR indie and they will pale in comparison. Then comes “When She Cries”, a return to the mid-tempo AOR they do so well. If they say “fortune favors the bold”, then it will take nothing less than your boldest bid to secure this veritable fortune of breath-taking, melt-in-your-mouth AOR. Near MINT throughout… don’t miss one of the best and rarest AOR CDs you will see on eBay in 2008!"

Anything with a comparison to Diving For Pearls gets my full attention, not to mention the other wonderful bands listed in there. So if anyone is feeling generous and would like to help me out with the MP3's - I'd be a very happy man and would be happy to return the favour. I'd love to hear any thoughts on the disc too.

Yeah, that's a very healthy write-up. I've never heard of it either, but based on that I'd love to hear it. I'd put a wild guess out there that it's another dud, but I'd love to find out for sure.

Nice. Thank you very much, my good man!

With my new work set-up I might even be able to hear this when it's finished downloading. :)

Well, I shouldn't be surprised, but once again someone has set us up for a fall. I would like to understand the motives behind such write-ups as that above. Is it just that people have something so rare and they assume no one else will ever hear it anyway, so they over-rate it to sound like they luckily own this masterpiece?

I dunno. Whatever the motive, this ain't that good... at all. The first song is actually very good, and a couple of the next few songs are decent, like 'Paradise.' The production job is very good, the band is musically tight and the vocalist is pretty good. But at the halfway point it's getting tiring and there is some awful stuff ike 'Run' and the dreadful 'Backdoor' which make you start to wish it would just end.

Overall, I might put a couple of the songs on my Ipod, but I can just as easy do without this album. :)

some rough analysis based on market value :

everything that's OOP and falls between $25 - $40 is mostly a gem,

$40-$50 is only a good one, not really great, but if it's great, then because it's a Jap release,

but ironic enough that everything that sells over $50-$100 or say $500 or beyond that are mostly crap

:christmas:

and most used CDs that are selling for only $1 - $5 are either really bad or really really good lol

Thanks to both jstoyz and studboy for their help with this one!! Much appreciated guys. I'll have a listen tomorrow and tell you what I think, but based upon Geoff's comment I think I'm going to be disappointed. At least if it's crap I can go ahead and scratch it off my want list.

If there is a CD out there of that quality in that era, that no-one on this board has heard of.......

Well IMO that is 'a zero in 45million rarity'

If there is a CD out there of that quality in that era, that no-one on this board has heard of.......

Yeah you don't come across too many obscure bands anymore that (1) no one has heard of and (2) that live up to the standard of the best bands of the late 80's and early 90's. I'd like to be proven wrong on this though.

Yeah you don't come across too many obscure bands anymore that (1) no one has heard of and (2) that live up to the standard of the best bands of the late 80's and early 90's. I'd like to be proven wrong on this though.

Yeah, backed doods. As I've said in a few related threads recently, I'm about ready to call it and say I have heard every essential release from that era. It's getting too tiring trying to track down MP3's of the next obscure highly rated indie only to find - again - it's just a painfully average clunker, again.

Well after having a listen to this album I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. 'Reach Out' and 'Paradise' are both ok. and the title track 'Across the Sea' starts to pick up and become quite enjoyable at the 7:15 mark!!! The rest I probably wouldn't bother to play again. It's not a bad album...just very bland and non exciting. I certainly don't think it's worth more than $15-20.

First, thanks for the download. :headbanger:

Second, after listening to it, I would not spend more than a few dollars for it. Some decent stuff, but certainly not something I would want to hang onto (musically, at least). But, as mentioned earlier in this thread, often the collectibility of a CD has very little to do with the music on it.

The vocalist just does not seem sharp at times. He seems to slide into a note instead of hitting it on pitch right away.

• 5 weeks later...

189$....I'm sure the seller isn't loosing sleep over the fact the cd isn't as great as advertised. I could sell a disc with music from White Widdow, H.E.A.T. and Brother Firetribe and I'm sure people would be harsh no matter what the music sounded like. Different tastes for everyone. Why would someone who wants to make money on the backs of fat wallet buyers be critical to the point of making something unappealling?

5% of the music I listen to on the net gets me excited and makes me spend my money on it. 95% of the time I pass.

Someone spending 189$ has a 95% chance of being dissapointed, to what degree is the dissapointment....who knows. But I would never spend 189$ on a cd without hearing every single track first...OK, I'd never spend 189$ on a cd....that's how much I spend in 6 months buying stuff I know I'll like.

Most of us are fans of music and some of use are hard core collectors. Therefore some will spend money for the prestige or the desire to have all rarities. The vast majority of us will only spend (as little as possible) on what we know and like.

• My Little Pony

I like these threads. Very informative. Like it was said before, I wouldn't spend that kind of money without knowing what I'm getting. I did it once and I got lucky. A few years back I paid $200 for a CD lot consisting of Hotboy, Intuition, Jillson, and Wall of Silence. Now I'm so skeptical about bootlegs it restricts any sort of impulse buy even further.