SKYLINE

66 mustang

Kinda looks cool but also really reminds me of "Independence Day".

Agree, it does a bit and the helicopter scene looks like a complete rip off of a scene from Jaws 2, but this still looks like a great sci fi film and I really want to see it!

Okay, sci-fi never was my cup of tea but this one looks stupid and pointless.

...like some of the best sci fi!!! :D

When I first saw the trailer on TV I thought "Oh, they finally got that sequel to Independence Day up and running?" :lol:

Looks goofy. I'll probably see it in five years or so when it turns up in the bargain DVD bin at the supermarket. Otherwise, I'm in no hurry.

• 3 weeks later...

Read an article about this flick in the paper on Friday. The two guys who directed it ("The Brothers Strause") were also the same guys who did "Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem." Depending on how you felt about that flick, that may or may not be a recommendation...

It also sez that they're normally a special effects house that gets hired out for work by other studios, but they whipped up "Skyline" basically in their spare time from other jobs and sold it when it was done. Interestingly enough, they're now in trouble with another studio whose film they're doing effects for, "Battle For L.A.," because its story is supposedly quite similar to "Skyline."

I just got back from checking this flick out. It was a solid sci-fi entry. I guess the brothers Strause as they like to call themselves directed this film for $10 million. That's pretty low for today's Hollywood blockbusters, but the brothers used the money well. The special effects were good and it was fairly entertaining. You will either love or hate the ending, but at least it was different. All in all, this is what I would call a good rental.

• 4 months later...

Seriously, SKYLINE is not a good movie and not worth it's own thread! It's comfortably a better choice than "Battle: Los Angeles" - which is pointless shite - but it's still frankly just not very good. The ending is awful/embarrassing, and the only good way to watch this film is on bluray as the CGI in the first 45 mins of the film is excellent (the second 45 mins is not worth watching). Oh, and the acting is absolutely terrible. Either I'm getting old & cinical, or film-makers these days have completely run out of ideas as they keep re-hashing the same story of stupid aliens landing on earth (or hovering above it) and wasting everyones time.

• 2 months later...

Rented this over the weekend (had a promo code for a freebie from RedBox)... it was meh. Started out promising, but got stupid really quick. I can just imagine the pitch meeting for this one: "Hey, I got an idea. Let's take the annoying twenty somethings from 'Cloverfield' and stick'em in the middle of 'Independence Day.'"

The only difference between this and the dozens of other "alien invasion" flicks that litter the SyFy Channel on any given Saturday afternoon is that it had a bazillion dollar FX budget. They certainly didn't spend $$ anywhere else, cuz the biggest-name "star" in it was that black guy from "Scrubs."

Even so, the next night I rented "My Soul To Take" and woooo, that sucked so bad that it made "Skyline" look like "Citizen Kane."

from my understanding this movie was made by an effects company. they didn't have a huge budget per say. in fact from IMDB, cost was 10.5 million and it made 65 million at the boxoffice. to compare, Transformers 2 cost 200 million to make. Men In Black from 1997 cost 90 million to make. Iron Man cost 140 million. Independance Day from 1996 cost 75 million. So in really it didn't have a big budget at all. the FX company wrote the story and they did all FX in-house. hey, it made a huge profit

from my understanding this movie was made by an effects company. they didn't have a huge budget per say. in fact from IMDB, cost was 10.5 million and it made 65 million at the boxoffice.

Yeah, the dudes who directed it ("The Brothers Strause") own a special effects house. From what I understand, the actual filming with actors/locations/etc. only cost'em half a million bucks, the other $10 mil was all the CGI/effects. So basically it was not so much a "movie" but more of a 'demo reel' for their effects company. Which, as I said, were very nice, but there was zero story to speak of.

Didn't cost me anything to see it cuz I had a promo code for a RedBox freebie, so I'm not gonna bitch too much. :D