The Walking Dead

Fat Freddy

‘The Walking Dead’ season finale draws a record 9 million viewers for AMC

Daniel S Levine

3/20/2012

Fans just cannot get enough of The Walking Dead. The record ratings for the second season finale seem to prove that. AMC announced on Monday that Nielsen numbers show that the episode drew a total of 9 million viewers.

Entertainment Weekly reports that the show received the highest rating ever for the series and was the most-watched episode of a regular series in AMC’s history. Even more spectacular was the fact that it drew 6 million viewers in the key 18-49 ratings demographic, which helps make it the best-rated cable series for the demographic in history.

According to The Huffington Post, the episode also drew 50 percent more viewers than the season one finale. It also drew 1 million more viewers than the season two premiere, which held the previous record for the most-watched new episode of a cable drama.

The season two finale also re-aired at 11:35 p.m. Sunday, bringing the total viewers that night to 10.5 million. The entire season had an impressive average of 6.9 million viewers per episode.

In a statement, AMC president Charlie Collier sent his congratulations to all the people who work on the show and to fans “for creating, literally, record-setting television.”

Although most of season two was spent on Hershel’s farm, the survivors finally made it off the farm after it was overrun by zombies. The finale also introduced Michonne, a fan-favorite character from the comic books. On Monday, creator Robert Kirkman confirmed that Danai Gurira was cast as the character. David Morrissey will also be joining the cast as the Governor.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• My Little Pony

I thought T-Dog was going to be Zombie lunch, due to his small role of all the other cast members.

I guess we'll see next season..

I know, right? The entire second half of this season I kept thinking, "where the hell is Theo?"

To answer some previous questions: Shane was killed much earlier. Back when they were sill at camp just outside the city, Rick and Shane had an altercation in the woods. Shane put a rifle to Rick's chest, and Carl, who had followed them, shot Shane through the neck. Later on they find a prison--the one at the end of the finale--and try to make it their "home." Two characters not in the TV series, commit suuicide, and that's when we first learn that everyone carries the virus and it's activated once the brain is dead. Upon learning this, Rick gets on the hog and rides back to the old camp site to find Shane, and kill him again.

I have to say I'm really enjoying the show. If you read the books you'll realize that the show moves at the same pace, if not a little quicker. I also like that the show deviates from the book, and my only complaint is that Shane didn't die much much sooner. Couldn't stand him. He's done a good job of splitting up the group, and I can see there will be a lot of drama in the next season. There is a lot of shit they have to work through, which won't happen until they stop keeping things from eachother. Oh, and I'm stoked that they brought in the woman with the katanas and zombie "pets." I won't say anymore about her.

^^^^^^^^Michonne, yeah she's a Bad Ass.. I guess the show has to be different from the novels (Due to the violent nature). I can't wait for the Govenor to come in. Is he going to be that Necropedifiler sadist he's portrayed in the book?

• My Little Pony

^^^^^^^^Michonne, yeah she's a Bad Ass.. I guess the show has to be different from the novels (Due to the violent nature). I can't wait for the Govenor to come in. Is he going to be that Necropedifiler sadist he's portrayed in the book?

Umm... I do my best not give away any possible spoilers, and then you post. Heh. I really have no idea where they might take this series. What I really want to know is how do you inevitably end a series like this?

Umm... I do my best not give away any possible spoilers, and then you post. Heh. I really have no idea where they might take this series. What I really want to know is how do you inevitably end a series like this?

The michionne thing has been out there since the finale even the producers on The Talking Dead talked about her. However this is the first ive read about the Governor.

They're already talking about The Governor on the net. Here is a little clip I found on the net:

'Walking Dead' season finale shatters record ratingsBy Lesley Goldberg, The Hollywood Reporter

Gene Page / AMC

"The Walking Dead" finale not only took out Hershel's farm, but it smashed its own ratings record.

Sunday's bloody and shocking episode of AMC's "The Walking Dead" shattered its own basic-cable ratings records for a second time this season.

The zombie drama, based on the graphic novels created by Robert Kirkman, drew 9 million total viewers, including 6 million in the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demo, 5.3 million in adults 25-54 and 3.2 million in 18-34; the demo numbers topped basic-cable records set by February's Season 2 midseason premiere. That episode, which followed the show's two-month hiatus, drew 8.1 million total viewers, 5.4 million in 18-49 and 4.4 million in 25-54.

More from THR: Glen Mazzara and Robert Kirkman spill on bloody finale

Advertise | AdChoicesThe episode was up more than 50 percent in total viewers compared with its Season 1 finale. Including repeats at 11:30 p.m., the installment drew 10.5 million total viewers.

The February numbers topped another mark set by October's 90-minute Season 2 premiere. That episode, which followed a nearly one-year wait after the six-episode freshman season of the drama starring Andrew Lincoln, marked a then-record for any drama in basic-cable history in the demos; it drew 4.8 million in 18-49 and 4.2 million in 25-54, shattering a nearly 10-year-old mark in the demos.

More from THR: 'Walking Dead' casts sword-wielding heroine Michonne

In the episode, the survivors learned the results of the Season 1 cliffhanger: what Jenner (Noah Emmerich) whispered to Rick (Lincoln) at the CDC before its dramatic explosion. In addition, the final moments introduced the location of the third season -- the highly anticipated prison featured in the comics -- as well as the introduction of the iconic heroine, Michonne (Danai Gurira), featured in the series.

Sunday's finale was up drastically over the "monumental" penultimate episode, which featured the heavily hyped (and somewhat anticipated) departure of Shane (Jon Bernthal). It drew 6.9 million total viewers and 4.6 million in 18-49, with 4.1 million in the 25-54 metric.

Sunday's record ratings come as Kirkman faces a lawsuit from childhood friend Tony Moore over financial compensation to the lucrative franchise.

More from THR: 'Walking Dead' finds its governor

AMC announced in January that the third season of the series, topped by showrunner Glen Mazzara, will expand to 16 episodes. Season 3 of "The Walking Dead" will begin in October.

Some ratings highlights from the series:

• Season 2 finale, 3/18/12: 9 million total viewers, 6 million in 18-49, 5.3 million in 25-54

• 7 months later...

So how's everybody liking Season 3 thus far? They've definitely upped the carnage factor, that's for damn sure. I think the # of zombies killed in the season premiere was bigger than the # killed in all of last season.

Not sorry to see Rick's wife go. She's been an irritant virtually from the beginning of the series. F*ckin' COLD that Carl was the one to "put her down" tho. That boy's hardcore now. Not surprised to see T-Dog become lunch either, just surprised that it took this long.

I'm likin' the "Woodbury" storyline as well. The Governor is one sick mo-fo, plus we finally get Merle back. Can't wait to see the two sides eventually meet.

So how's everybody liking Season 3 thus far? They've definitely upped the carnage factor, that's for damn sure. I think the # of zombies killed in the season premiere was bigger than the # killed in all of last season.

Not sorry to see Rick's wife go. She's been an irritant virtually from the beginning of the series. F*ckin' COLD that Carl was the one to "put her down" tho. That boy's hardcore now. Not surprised to see T-Dog become lunch either, just surprised that it took this long.

I'm likin' the "Woodbury" storyline as well. The Governor is one sick mo-fo, plus we finally get Merle back. Can't wait to see the two sides eventually meet.

Yep crazy awesome season so far. Was happy to see Lori go but yes it was crazy that Carl had to put her down. I was hoping he didn't do it and Rick would come across her but it was obvious that one walker had eater her. The biggest question is who is on the other end of the phone call Rick got? My bet is on Carol who is probably hid in another room somewhere. Is Andrea the most gullible moron ever? Will she wake up and see that the Governor is a homcidle maniac that has a zombie daughter?

Yep crazy awesome season so far. Was happy to see Lori go but yes it was crazy that Carl had to put her down. I was hoping he didn't do it and Rick would come across her but it was obvious that one walker had eater her. The biggest question is who is on the other end of the phone call Rick got? My bet is on Carol who is probably hid in another room somewhere. Is Andrea the most gullible moron ever? Will she wake up and see that the Governor is a homcidle maniac that has a zombie daughter?

UGH! You guys are killin me! Im still 2 episodes behind on the DVR!! :(

Loving it so far! Genuinely can't wait for 9 pm to roll around on Sundays.

The guy playing the Governor is doing a GREAT job with the character.

Since the end of Season Two, I picked up all the trade paperbacks and have now become totally immersed in Walking Deadness.

I love the fact that the show and the comic, while sharing the same basic story structure, have MANY differences. Most notable, no Daryl or Merle in the comic... YET. Word is that due to their popularity on the show, Kirkman has decided to write them into the comic.... sah-weet!

Wes, I would love it if your theory about the phone call is correct, as I am not a fan of how it plays out in the books...

*You folks who think the Governor is a mean sumbitch....just wait... you may one day get to meet.... Negan. ;-)

Loving it so far! Genuinely can't wait for 9 pm to roll around on Sundays.

The guy playing the Governor is doing a GREAT job with the character.

Since the end of Season Two, I picked up all the trade paperbacks and have now become totally immersed in Walking Deadness.

I love the fact that the show and the comic, while sharing the same basic story structure, have MANY differences. Most notable, no Daryl or Merle in the comic... YET. Word is that due to their popularity on the show, Kirkman has decided to write them into the comic.... sah-weet!

Wes, I would love it if your theory about the phone call is correct, as I am not a fan of how it plays out in the books...

*You folks who think the Governor is a mean sumbitch....just wait... you may one day get to meet.... Negan. ;-)

Isn't it Lori on the other end of the phone in the comic?

Isn't it Lori on the other end of the phone in the comic?

Hmm.... I guess since this could give away the plot with the phone call.... SPOILER ALERT!

Yeah, Rick starts receiving phone calls from his dead wife. She's basically talking him through things and re-assuring him that he is meant to lead everyone. Rick is such a strong person though; it just kinda seemed "out of place" for him IMO.... I guess they wanted to show some vulnerability in his character. But hey, they tend to do things a little different on the show, so heck, Shane may be giving him a buzz from Hell or something. :P

• 4 weeks later...