Do you 'upgrade' your collection?

With all the re-issued, re-mastered versions, deluxe editions, bonus dvd editions, ect.... that are released these days, just wondering whether folks upgrade thier collections, replacing older versions of the cd with the newer versions?

Me, I like to upgrade if i see a new edition with a bonus disc or half a dozen bonus track, but only if i seem em for really cheap. You wont see me paying $25 for a re-issue, but once they hit the $9.95 bin i may upgrade.

Similarly with hole punches and cut-outs, i'm gradually trying to weed these out of my collection, but if i can get them in a trade or bargain bins.

Are others like this, or do you grab em as soon as they are released, or even never at all?

It's pretty simple for me. I just try to get the cheapest CD every time. :) I don't bother with re-masters or re-issues if I already have the original CD but if I didn't, and had the option to buy cheaper re-issue or more expensive original, it's re-issue every time. As for actually upgrading because of bonus tracks, as long as they're unreleased studio tracks I'd think of upgrading, but again, only if I saw it really, really cheap. Like under $5.

As for hole punches or cut-outs, couldn't worry me less. I notice a lot of the modern rock discs I get have hole punches, but the music still sounds the same to me. A hole in the bardcode on the back of the CD could not possibly worry me less. :)

With all the re-issued, re-mastered versions, deluxe editions, bonus dvd editions, ect.... that are released these days, just wondering whether folks upgrade thier collections, replacing older versions of the cd with the newer versions?

Me, I like to upgrade if i see a new edition with a bonus disc or half a dozen bonus track, but only if i seem em for really cheap. You wont see me paying $25 for a re-issue, but once they hit the $9.95 bin i may upgrade.

Similarly with hole punches and cut-outs, i'm gradually trying to weed these out of my collection, but if i can get them in a trade or bargain bins.

Are others like this, or do you grab em as soon as they are released, or even never at all?

I do all the time. I would love to get all the ROCK CANDY releases, but they're very expensive. I also hate buying a WOUNDED BIRD release just to have R.C. release it in a matter of months :doh:

Hole Punches, Cut Outs, Sun Faded, Bootlegs, Digi Pacs, Saw Cuts. I hate having them in the collection. Sometimes I'll buy a used c.d. just for the booklet and incerts if they're perfect..

I got a few dozen c.d.'s that I have copies of (I refuse to trade with anyone because of the imperfections).

In a nutshell, I'm pretty anal when it comes to my collection..

lol. The thing I forgot to add to my post is that there's far too much new music out there that needs to be bought to worry about getting too picky with what you already have. :)

Hole Punches, Cut Outs, Sun Faded, Bootlegs, Digi Pacs, Saw Cuts. I hate having them in the collection.

I don't mind digipaks (except for the fact that they don't store evenly beside a normal jewel case), but apart from that I'm pretty similar. Have always had hole punches, cut out and various damaged inserts in the collections, but it's alway nice to replace these with a pristine one.

But also agree with Geoff, there's always a lot of new stuff out there worth buying instead of upgrading too many titles.

Usually I'm not worried about upgrading from original pressings to re-masters/re-issues, mainly due to the fact that my money could be spent on CD's that I don't already have. Mostly though I prefer originals, but I can't go past the awesome Rock Candy re-issues. Hole punches/promo stamps and all that shit doesn't bother me one iota. Digi Packs I'm starting to like a lot more...they really do look good presentation wise some of them...but they are a bit of a pain in that they're slightly bigger than a normal jewel case.

I love to grab remasters that have alot of bonus material but not for too much.Hole punches etc don't worry me at all,i'm just happy to have a copy of the cd and if i find any cd in mint condition to replace a crappy cd i will buy it if it's cheap.

Remasters that don't include bonus material i only upgrade if i see them under $10.

Remastered CDs or those with bonus stuff if I can get it at a decent price or if the original CD is virtually unlistenable like Poison's Open Up and Say Ahh! which was so damn quiet. Don't really bother replacing cut outs, like others have said, too much new music to discover.

On an occasional basis, yes. And if the reissues are at a reasonable price. Cut-outs, etc. don't really worry me. I definitely try to get the CDR's out of my collection and replace them with originals, which usually is a mean task as we all know ......

I love the Rock Candy stuff, obviously because they cater to my taste for bands like Storm, 1994,Reckless etc that have never been released on CD before, but also because their re-issues are so vastly superior to the original releass in all departments - they usually automatically go on the list. The rest depends on who the band is. Alot of the older bands stuff recorded back in the late 70's/early 80's sound so much better in remastered form (Rock Candy being a fine example again), so most of the time, the remasters I go for are from the older releases. Check out all the recent UFO and Saxon remasters for a good example of why to upgrade your old discs with new versions. Superb remasters & loads of extras that are actually worth having.

My big pet hate is when you buy a disc, then 6 months later a 'Tour Edition' or 'Special Edition' gets released with bonus DVD's and extra tracks etc. If I know I can trade the original and I can get it for a good price, then I may get the 'Tour Edition', otherwise I leave it. I can see why record companies do it, but It sucks for the people that buy a bands album on day or week of release that's for sure.

Cut Outs, punch holes, Digi-packs etc don't bother me at all.

I used to be pretty big on trying to upgrade my cd's if they were music club, faded spine, cut out, etc but I have gotten away from that and haven't been too concerned about it lately. I will upgrade if the reissue has a bunch of good bonus tracks (I did that with all of the W.A.S.P. releases - that's how reissues should be done!). If the reissue has one extra track, especially if that bonus track is a live cut I pass almost every time. I did try to upgrade most of my AC/DC cd's with the new Sony ones just because they are one of my favorite bands, but aside from the sound improvement there really wasn't much more included with their reissues and I was pretty disappointed because of it.

I'm with Geoff on this one. 9 times outta 10 I don't bother to "upgrade" a CD I already have unless I can get it cheap as hell. I was more obsessive compulsive years ago about having the most "up to date" version of a CD (i.e. "Oh my god! The European pressing of this disc has a bonus track! I MUST POSSESS IT!") but that was back in the day when I was single and therefore had more disposable income to piss away on such frivolities. Nowadays, once I buy a CD I'm in no hurry to "update it," I'd rather move on to other stuff that I don't have.

There have been a few exceptions over the years, like the W.A.S.P. remasters that Rick mentioned (still the sweetest set of reissues ever produced, IMO) but again, I'd rather buy the new versions cheap/used than brand new if it's already something I have on the CD shelf. I mean, sh*t, I'm still in the process of "upgrading" what remains of my old cassette collection to CD (15+ years and counting!) so I don't worry so much about "old CD" to "new CD" upgrades anymore...

As for whether a given CD is a promo, cut out, has a hole in the bar code, is a music club edition, Russian pressing or whatever -- I've said this many a time, I don't give a sh*t. If it's a disc I want, it's in good shape, and the price is right, its' in my hand. :lol:

It's pretty simple for me. I just try to get the cheapest CD every time. :) I don't bother with re-masters or re-issues if I already have the original CD but if I didn't, and had the option to buy cheaper re-issue or more expensive original, it's re-issue every time. As for actually upgrading because of bonus tracks, as long as they're unreleased studio tracks I'd think of upgrading, but again, only if I saw it really, really cheap. Like under $5.

As for hole punches or cut-outs, couldn't worry me less. I notice a lot of the modern rock discs I get have hole punches, but the music still sounds the same to me. A hole in the bardcode on the back of the CD could not possibly worry me less. :)

Agree 100% with you .... there are way too many cds on my 'to buy list' these days to worry about replacing cds I already have...unless they are cd-rs...

Remastered CDs or those with bonus stuff if I can get it at a decent price or if the original CD is virtually unlistenable like Poison's Open Up and Say Ahh! which was so damn quiet. Don't really bother replacing cut outs, like others have said, too much new music to discover.

Haha... that Poison CD was actually the only CD I could think of when I typed my first post. I would like a re-mastered version of that one because it is so freakin' quiet, but it's not a priority at all. For now, until I see it for $3, I'll just turn the volume up more. :)

On subject, if I have an original copy of a CD that's being re-issued, I generally hope that the bonus tracks are live versions, demo versions of album tracks or acoustic songs so I don't have to ever worry about picking it up.

It's only when they have unreleased studio tracks that it annoys me and I put it somewhere in the back of my head that if I ever see a copy of it for a bargain price I'd have to pick it up. :)

Agree 100% with you .... there are way too many cds on my 'to buy list' these days to worry about replacing cds I already have...unless they are cd-rs...

Backed 110%.