Journeys new concept album

Nick C

Hmmmm....the new Queensryche ... heh!

"Neal Schon says the upcoming Journey record will move away from their famous AOR sound and create a concept album instead.

The band behind iconic tracks Don't Stop Believin', Any Way You Want It, Who's Crying Now and many more feel they've gone as far as they can in that direction, and it's time to turn back to a more rock vibe.

Guitarist Schon tells Classic Rock Magazine: "I had a long talk with keyboard player Jonathan Cain and I said, 'We have all the AOR material we need. We've got all the hits we need and we need to play that stuff for ever. There's no getting away from it.'

"So I don't see the point of repeating the same song with different chords.

"I'm going for a conceptual record because I really feel we have the musicality to pull it off. We have everybody's attention. And the days of writing songs that are three-and-a-half minutes long for radio are over."

Schon says his instinct is built on a gut feeling for what people want to hear. He says: "I think in Europe, of not in the States, they're ready for us to come up with something on the artsy side. It's got to go up and down. It can't stay on the ceiling because there's no dynamics.

"I think it's going to be a very musical record and I have a cool thing to write about. But I don't want to reveal too much because somebody will steal it.

"But it's a one title, like most of our records are, and it's a very deep subject. Real stuff."

"

Haha. It's probably going to be dreadful. I do have to say, though, even as a fan of their last CD, I can kind of see Schon's point. No point writing something you're not passionate about anymore.

There's a probability that if the samples of this disc are as bad as I have a feeling they could be I might never hear this full CD, but good luck to them anyway.

It will probably be a work of musical genius and my top cd of 2010.......if its released this year of course.

Concept maybe, but you know its gonna have tons of melody and some kick arse solos.

Roll on.......

Well full-marks to them for being honest in the press release, rather than let me buy it (then hate it, and sell it, in that order) on the pretense that it's no different to their usual work. Sounds like a train-wreck waiting to happen.

I don't do this whole "keep an open mind" stuff you lot talk about. :P

I guess Journey will be Journey and even with their last album they were able to create great AOR songs, to go conceptual, I don't know. I can't think of an AOR concept album. With bands like Rush and Queensryche their concept albums fit their catalog musically and really pushed their careers over the top (2112 and Mindcrime anyone). Journey is already at the top and have been there a long time. What could they change their style to that would keep their AOR fans interested enough to buy their cd. I think that it will be a mistake (can anyone say Kilroy Was Here?). But I will be their to get it when it comes out, so let the wait begin!!!!

Sandy

Schon says his instinct is built on a gut feeling for what people want to hear. He says: "I think in Europe, of not in the States, they're ready for us to come up with something on the artsy side. It's got to go up and down. It can't stay on the ceiling because there's no dynamics.

We don't want you to paint a f***ing picture, and I don't want anything that goes "up and down" and doesn't "stay on the ceiling". I also don't want 10 songs about dungeons & dragons or some ancient historical storyline from back before the beginning of when people gave a shit. People in Europe have two ears, just like those in the States, so just make an album of good songs and classy musicianship (like the last one) and I think everyone will be happy.

First of all is Dunsbar, or Rollie going to lend services??? how about Trower? he should play on it, and hey if they can do something with a "anything before Steve Perry" feel, you can count me right the fuck it!!!!

I really hope Neal has the balls to stick with this. Ive always loved Journey and have all their CDs. When JSS joined them I was really stoked and hoping that with his vocals he could take them in a different/harder edged sound. You know something that REALLY Rocked!! :banger:

Like I said, I love all their music. BUT..if you want to hear Journey rock go back to their first 3 releases. ;) Id love a Journey concept CD!!

Hmmmm....the new Queensryche ... heh!

"Neal Schon says the upcoming Journey record will move away from their famous AOR sound and create a concept album instead.

The band behind iconic tracks Don't Stop Believin', Any Way You Want It, Who's Crying Now and many more feel they've gone as far as they can in that direction, and it's time to turn back to a more rock vibe.

Guitarist Schon tells Classic Rock Magazine: "I had a long talk with keyboard player Jonathan Cain and I said, 'We have all the AOR material we need. We've got all the hits we need and we need to play that stuff for ever. There's no getting away from it.'

"So I don't see the point of repeating the same song with different chords.

"I'm going for a conceptual record because I really feel we have the musicality to pull it off. We have everybody's attention. And the days of writing songs that are three-and-a-half minutes long for radio are over."

"I think it's going to be a very musical record and I have a cool thing to write about. But I don't want to reveal too much because somebody will steal it.

"But it's a one title, like most of our records are, and it's a very deep subject. Real stuff."

"

Nick, where did you get this information?

First of all is Dunsbar, or Rollie going to lend services??? how about Trower? he should play on it, and hey if they can do something with a "anything before Steve Perry" feel, you can count me right the fuck it!!!!

Backed on that. If Journey have 'finished ' with the AOR sound (of which I am a little sceptical to be honest), then a return to the sound on the first album especially would be great, as that was on hell of a good disc, more Jazz rock in places, but Schon was firing big time on that album.