Serena Williams - US Open Outburst

JC_AOR

Most people by now would have seen Serenas recent outburst during her US Open semi final against Kim Clijsters. I can't believe how many people are trying to defend her. I can understand that it was a dodgy call by the lines woman, especially at that stage of a tennis match (match point down); but her outburst was in-excusable and IMO she needs to face a suspension and issue an appology.

Yes Serena is only human, yes it was probably a "brain melt" which she didn't give much/any thought too, and yes she faces a lot of pressure from fans and media - being in the spotlight all the time; but that was honestly right up there with one of the most abusive outbursts I can remember. I think even John Mcenroe was more tame. Serena needs to realise that she is a role model for young kids all around the world, and as such she can't say stuff like that.

I think the worst part of all this is that Serena has refused to appologise. Until she does, Serena has lost all respect from me.

If you missed it - Serena Williams Outburst - YouTube Video

It's just The Man (or in this case a diminuitive Asian woman) tryin' to keep a Bruthah (or in this case Sistah) down.

I never realized just how full of wingnuts tennis fandom is. Take a gander at some of the tennis forums out there... the Williams sisters fanbase is... umm... a bit rabid.

It's scary.

-Dan

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm sick & tired of all these high strung selfish irritating sports stars.....they should ban her from tennis matches for 6 months instead of accepting unacceptable behavior.....and I don't mean to pick on one 'star' , there should be zero tolerance when it comes to this sort of behavior ...IMO

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm sick & tired of all these high strung selfish irritating sports stars.....they should ban her from tennis matches for 6 months instead of accepting unacceptable behavior.....and I don't mean to pick on one 'star' , there should be zero tolerance when it comes to this sort of behavior ...IMO

Backed, but it goes beyond just sport...general celebrities think they are above decency any way...nutz to them.

Backed, but it goes beyond just sport...general celebrities think they are above decency any way...nutz to them.

If more celebrities could follow the high standards of decency set by the likes of Kanye West, I think things would be a lot better.

If more celebrities could follow the high standards of decency set by the likes of Kanye West, I think things would be a lot better.

Yeah Kanye West .... :lol:

Apparently that Pete Fry bloke is okay as far as celebs go though.....so I hear.......but to me he looks like the type that could just lose it...IN A BIG WAY!!!!

I would never make it as a pro athlete. Not from the physical aspect, I played rugby and wrestled in college, but in the public eye. I would be on tape/video slapping people, refs would get vast amounts of profanity and overall bad things: i.e. nothing good would come from it. Yeah, I'd make some money but I'd lose it all in fines and law suites. Much better being here with you guys on the boards.