Wimbledon 2009 Another 5 set classic

whiplash1972

8-8 in the 5th set as I type this. This is one of those matches where it is truly a shame that someone has to lose.... :beerbang:

Awesome match. Congrats to Federer as he now stands alone with 15 major titles, and congrats to Roddick for playing one helluva great match.

Think Roddick might have blown his one last chance at the title.

I mean next year Nadal will be back hungrier than ever and Murray will be a year better.

Felt sorry for him.....but you have to hand it to Federer. He pulls out all the stops when it matters.

Cheers

The only thing not awesome about this was that it started at 11pm on Sunday night Australian time. I drifted off around the 4th set but was still up and about at 4am at the conclusion of this f*cker. Congrats to Federer, but man I was hoping Roddick would get this one. Poor bastard. :(

As good as these players are, I must say that modern tennis is so unspectacular in comparison to the 90's and early 00's. There's no doubt Federer is an amazing, almost flawless player, but no one these days gives us the excitement and mixture of playing styles that Samprass, Agassi, Rafter, Becker etc. gave us. I'd love to see more serve-volley players come into the game again...that's were the real excitement of tennis can come from. Watching two base line players with heavy serves smash a ball at each other for 4 hours looses it's excitement after a while. Especially when the serves are so damn fast no one can break serve.

Yeah, I agree mate. I grew up with tennis and I prefer the game of about a decade ago by so much. There used to be so many good players, so many good contests. The players out there these days are freakishly good, but nowhere near as interesting to watch. And the female side of tennis is a trainwreck.

Gotta feel for Roddick, he really played awesome. Pretty dull to watch though, and agree with everyone else that although the level of technicality has gone up the level of entertainment has dropped of a cliff...

Last years final was actually much more exciting in terms of play.

Roddick is a bit of smashing machine and relies too much on his serve.

Have to add tho that Im confused somewhat - I mean, when I used to watch McEnroe at his peak it was even more boring. No rally lasted more than 3 shots on his serve.

ie Serve > return (badly) > volley out.

That was pretty much it.

I think the last truly great Wimbledon final I can remember was Rafter vs. Ivanisavic. Heartbreaker for me because aside from being Aussie I always liked Rafter regardless, and wanted so badly for him to win. BUT, Ivanisavic was always my favourite non-Aussie player of all time and on the other hand I was happy for him that he won, but crushed for Rafter. Either way, that game was off the charts. Amazing match.