Hardline.....Well ?

Wotty

With Hardline re-appearing with their new cd "Leaving The End Open",and causing some constenation with their "modern" sound,especially on the comments thread on the main site,courtesy of "erik" and "BIG TIME".I just wondered what members here thought of it ?.The two aforementioned people claim it's too modern,it's nothing like the debut and it shouldn' be on H.H.

Now,I've heard it,and it does differ from the debut,but only,imo,in that it's more AOR-ish,due mainly to the influence of Josh Ramos and some fluffy keys.

I like it,but what do others think ??

Taken as a stand alone cd and not comparing it to the debut, it isn't that great in my opinion, although It is alot better than Hardline II'. A disc that isn't in my collection and unless I see it for about a couple of quid, never will be.

I actually don't think this is fluffier/more AOR than before, it's definitely more Modern but is just mellower and with plenty of mid-tempo tunes & ballads on it. As Matt says is starts off well but really tails off, and there are a few good choruses on here, but no more than about 3 or 4, and it just feels like a half-arsed attempt to modernise their sound but still appeal to the 80/90's fans. I like the opening couple of songs, really like the vocals, but just don't think the songwriting is anywhere near good enough. A million miles from stuff like Sunstorm/Place Vendome IMO...

This cd has started a "bone of contention" with people saying it's.....

Too modern.

It's nothing like the debut.

It shouldn't be on H.H.

And as much as I take on board what Tim says,why is every aor/mhr cd being compared to Sunstorm and Place Vendome?

I think this is very accessible and should be taken on its own merits.My opinion obviously !!!!!!

This cd has started a "bone of contention" with people saying it's.....

Too modern.

It's nothing like the debut.

It shouldn't be on H.H.

And as much as I take on board what Tim says,why is every aor/mhr cd being compared to Sunstorm and Place Vendome?

I think this is very accessible and should be taken on its own merits.My opinion obviously !!!!!!

Well I definitely think it deserves to be on HH, I just don't think it's that good!

The reason for comparing it to Sunstorm/Place Vendome is because those two albums are the AOR/MHR benchmark in 2009. They're both a great example of how an AOR/MHR band should sound in 2009 IMO. However, even if I compared HARDLINE to the best Modern Rock discs of this year (Nural/The Veer Union/No Love Lost) it would still come a very distant second-best....

Well Tim.Your opening sentence should be what others should just say without giving a 1001 reasons why this doesn't match up to the debut.

But why is this being classed as "modern" ?You know more about "modern" rock than I do,but the little I do know tells me this is now way "modern".Perhaps it's because on some tracks Ramos' guitar sounds a tad distorted.So does that make it "modern" ? Plus,there are too many Ramos-influenced ballads on here to scare off the "modern-rockers".....

Well Tim.Your opening sentence should be what others should just say without giving a 1001 reasons why this doesn't match up to the debut.

But why is this being classed as "modern" ?You know more about "modern" rock than I do,but the little I do know tells me this is now way "modern".Perhaps it's because on some tracks Ramos' guitar sounds a tad distorted.So does that make it "modern" ? Plus,there are too many Ramos-influenced ballads on here to scare off the "modern-rockers".....

Yeah there's some down-tuned guitar and modern production effects on this, but it's still essentially just Melodic Hard Rock IMO. The thing is, most Modern Rock fans aren't into the whole downtuned/mid-tempo stuff anymore (that was in the 90's) and new Modern Rock is all uptempo/catchy with plenty of polish/shine on the production - and this new HARDLINE disc definitely doesn't fall into that category.

This is why so many albums miss the mark, as they have ZERO hope of picking up Modern Rock fans with this, and the only risk is alienating 80/90's MHR fans with the downtuning/melancholy feel of this - so am pretty convinced it won't sell. But if it's the music they want to make & are happy then full respect to them - it just doesn't do much for me!

Well, cuddle my balls with a welding iron. I haven't been the biggest fan of this, but what the f*ck is wrong with people? Too modern? Not deserving of HH? What a f*cking pathetic joke.

As I've said in other threads, imo the songs are just not that great. The could be, but hooks and good choruses seem to have been purposely avoided. I also don't think it really sounds like a Hardline CD... but all this other bullshit is just nonsense. I haven't seen the comments yet, but I hope it's not that Erik fella flying this flag as I like that chap.

I havent heard this one, but I have always had a lot of problems with peoples opinions on this site when they start calling things "grunge" or "alternative" or the newest one "modern rock" when they blatantly have no idea what any of that music actually is.

Sometimes I have heard an album be called Grunge, when its blatantly not.

Theres no doubting that some bands like Warrant, D2, Vixen, Europe or whatever, have updated their sound on certain albums, but to my mind, very few of the artists that have done it have ever released an actual grunge, alternative or truly "modern rock" CD.

It just seems to me that some people when they dont like a bands new sound that they automatically label it the most recent "new" rock sound, regardless of whether it fits the genre!

This has been well documented by me before, but there is no doubt that when it comes to music my most hated phrase ever is "it's crap 'cause it sounds too modern." Seriously, what the f*ck is that? Either a song is good or it's not... can't see anything simpler than that. :) It is 2009...

Another spin and after about 5 songs i forgot it was even on!

I mentioned on the other thread that this is not a HARDLINE album (to me, anyway)... it's Josh Ramos and Johnny Gioelli doing modern stuff with melodic overtones.

This is NOT Double Eclipse Part Deux - Not saying that's what they (the band) were looking for... that's what I was looking for... and didn't find it.

I doubt I'll play this one again, to be honest.

Well, cuddle my balls with a welding iron. I haven't been the biggest fan of this, but what the f*ck is wrong with people? Too modern? Not deserving of HH? What a f*cking pathetic joke.

As I've said in other threads, imo the songs are just not that great. The could be, but hooks and good choruses seem to have been purposely avoided. I also don't think it really sounds like a Hardline CD... but all this other bullshit is just nonsense. I haven't seen the comments yet, but I hope it's not that Erik fella flying this flag as I like that chap.

Backed 100 %. I don't think is modern at all. In fact I think it's less modern than their second album.

I think the album is fairly rubbish and is not as good as II, which I think is fairly good. It is especially the production and mix that is lacking and their alot of slow songs. I think they should have changed their name for this release, it's really Hardline anymore.

Well I've been spinning this for the last few days and I think it's pretty darn fantastic, it grows on me more and more every play, I'm even gonna put the cat amongst the pigeons and say I prefer it to the debut (at the moment) :joust: . A great return after the hugely disappointing II. Plus no hooks??? There are some wonderful hooks to these old ears, what about the chorus on Start Again straight off? Great and no cheese ... just how I like it.

I'm not sure why people dislike their 2nd release as I love it.....the 1st is good as well and when I get around to listening to the latest I'm sure I won't be disappointed....

I might have to revisit II - I ain't played it for a few years but it didn't click with me - it's good how when a band releases an album it sometimes makes you go back and re-evaluate what went before. I'm gonna dig out II when I get home methinks....after all I never sold it so there will have been a reason for that.

It sounds great to my ears, therefore I like it. Actually I like it quite a lot. And I obviously would never haven given the tip to Wotty, if this hadn't been the case. ;)

And I don't give a shit if they call themselves Hardline or Linehard.

My 2 cents.

R.E. Hardline II - I gave it a spin last night and again coming in to work and I think the problem with it is that the songs kind of meander and don't seem to go anywhere. The chouruses are hard to differentiate from the verses, they don't stand out and they just aren't that catchy. There's some cool guitar work but no strong structure to any of the songs - a lack of dynamics.

But still loving Leaving the End Open :)

I agree with many previous comments.

When I listen to a new Hardline cd, I expect gret hooks and great chorus like Hot cherie,Rythm from a red car or takin'me down. It's clear the Gioeli don't like these kind of stuff anymore, he is free to sound like he prefer.

Then new album is not bad, but after three or four spin I can't remember a single song.

Sure is better and more melodic than Hardline two, I can't remember a single track form this one too.