Great albums that were nearly ruined with bad lyrics

The topics on Steel Panther have me thinking about other great sounding bands that had bad lyrics that ruined or damn near ruined the greatness of the music.

For me, the one that comes to mind is Danger Danger's "Screw It". Right off the bat the album name stinks. Song titles like Horny SOB, Slipped Her The Big One, Get Your Shit Together and Yeah, You Want It! were all terrible song titles that damn near ruined the album for me. The lyrics in "Everybody Wants Some" were the bottom of the barrel, things like " Well I say screw it!, My Mom and Dad do it" or "'Cuz it feels so good when I'm in the pink". They were trying way too hard to get the young teen fans loving them with those lame lyrics.

Songs like "Monkey Business" (still not the best lyrics), "Beat The Bullet", "Crazy Nites" , the 3 killer ballads and the amazing "Don't Blame It On Love" saved the day and the album from tanking in my books.

I was gonna say everything by SLAUGHTER, but then I remembered you were asking about "great" albums.... :whistle:

Definitely a few scandi albums fall under this category, and I understand it's always difficult when you're singing in English and it isn't your first language. The lyrics on SKAGARACK's last disc "Big Time" are embarrasingly bad, yet it's an incredible album. Same with DA VINCI "Back In Business", and EASY ACTION "That Makes One" (seriously, "Teachers Do It With Class"?!).

The topics on Steel Panther have me thinking about other great sounding bands that had bad lyrics that ruined or damn near ruined the greatness of the music.

For me, the one that comes to mind is Danger Danger's "Screw It". Right off the bat the album name stinks. Song titles like Horny SOB, Slipped Her The Big One, Get Your Shit Together and Yeah, You Want It! were all terrible song titles that damn near ruined the album for me. The lyrics in "Everybody Wants Some" were the bottom of the barrel, things like " Well I say screw it!, My Mom and Dad do it" or "'Cuz it feels so good when I'm in the pink". They were trying way too hard to get the young teen fans loving them with those lame lyrics.

Songs like "Monkey Business" (still not the best lyrics), "Beat The Bullet", "Crazy Nites" , the 3 killer ballads and the amazing "Don't Blame It On Love" saved the day and the album from tanking in my books.

Backed big time on Screw it.......I almost cried when I first heard that after the awesome debut. A good album for sure, but some really banal lyrics in places.

Wow, it seems I am quite opposite to many of you guys. I for one absolutely love those tongue-in-cheek sexually charged lyrics. I prefer 'Screw it!' to D2's awesome debut, lyrics included. I LOVE 'Slipped her the big one'!!

Honestly, I can answer this question with a balnket statement saying that every single blatant Christian hard rock album is partially ruined by terrible lyrics. Two of the worst offenders being Whitecross and Seventh Day Slumber. Stryper, The Brave... the list is immense.

I also hate the really stupid 'Never give up believe in your dreams never surrender' lyrics that some of the silly Scandi bands (like Tim mentions) and others did.

But yeah, to each their own. I LOVE this kind of raw sexual stuff. Lyrically, 'Hole Patrol' is my favourite CD is SOOO long, and no. I am not kidding. I adore it. It's honestly part of what got me into this type of music.

Just about any song by any heavy metal band singing the praises of heavy metal is enough to ruin an album for me. You know - idiotic, nonsensical lyrics like, "Heavy metal saves the day", "Metal rules the world", "Metal will never die", "We live for metal", etc., etc., etc. It doesn't get much more juvenile than that.

Any simpering, whimpering ballad with airy, fluffy, "Oh, I just loves ya so much, honey" cliched crappola is enough to make me reach for the skip button, too. For the most part, throwing in "na-na-na"'s in place of actual lyrics really piss me off, too. Keel is a perfect example of a band whose music would be great if they recorded everything as an instrumental, or hired someone with some actual skill in creating lyrics instead of allowing Ron Keel anywhere near a pen. I swear Keel's hackneyed, bland, cliched lyrics must be written in Crayola.

Some bands like Loudness, whose second language is English should hire someone, who actually understands the language and can determine what sounds ridiculous and what doesn't.

It's an impossibility for me to take death metal lyrics seriously, too. Stuff in the, "I'll crush your skull, and watch your blood soak the floor" vein.

this is a great album...by metalucifer....

1. Heavy Metal Ironfists

2. Heavy Metal Bulldozer

3. Heavy Metal Battleaxe

4. Heavy Metal Warriors

5. Heavy Metal Highway Ride

6. Heavy Metal Mountain

7. Heavy Metal Wings of Steel

8. Heavy Metal Ambition

9. Heavy Metalucifer

10. Heavy Metal Demons

Slik Toxik's Doin' The Nasty. For the most part the music is killer, but the lyrics are just so asinine it's hard to listen to. If there weren't a few standout tracks like Midnight Grind the cd wouldn't be worth owning. If only they had someone to help them crank out more songs like that one.

Trash - Watch Out...still like this album a lot but the lyrics are comical...but that's probably more down to the bands interpretation of English language as any thing.

Slik Toxik's Doin' The Nasty. For the most part the music is killer, but the lyrics are just so asinine it's hard to listen to. If there weren't a few standout tracks like Midnight Grind the cd wouldn't be worth owning. If only they had someone to help them crank out more songs like that one.

Ive only heard Sweet Asylum from that album. I think the music kicks ass, never really payed to much attention to the lyrics though lol

Ive only heard Sweet Asylum from that album. I think the music kicks ass, never really payed to much attention to the lyrics though lol

I love that cd, always have.

Sure on a few of the tunes the lyrics are cheesy but hell most of the lyrics of this genre that we love are based on cheesy lyrics(Cherry Pie anyone?). Also keep in mind that they didn't write the lyrics as there is a 6th member of the band that is credited with lyrics. I guess it's like when Accept had their manager writing their lyrics back in the day. Anyway many great tunes on the Slik Toxik disc such as "Sweet Asylum", "Helluvatime", "By the Fireside", "Big Fucking Deal", "White Lies/Black Truth" and "Midnight Grind". :tumbsup:

I always thought that they had a classic Aerosmith thing going on with Nicholas Walsh doing his best 1970's era Steven Tyler.

If that's the case, heaven&hell, they should have had someone else helping them write songs. Slik Toxiks lyrics are flat out wretched on some of their songs. I wish I had my cd with me so I could write down a few of the lyrics from Blood Money and Cheap Nicotene.