Shipping CD's without jewel cases

Swazi

I have asked Renaissance Records, if it is possible to ship 6 CD's without jewel cases to reduce the shipping cost.

This is their reply that I received today:

==============

Hallo swazi-muc,

We do not ship without jewel cases as it is a violation of Ebay's policies. 6 CDs are $18.40 via USPS airmail.

John

==============

If this is true, a lot of sellers I know are violating Ebay's policies. Does anybody know if this is true ? Does Ebay have a policy defining how CD's are shipped ?? :wtf:

I have asked Renaissance Records, if it is possible to ship 6 CD's without jewel cases to reduce the shipping cost.

This is their reply that I received today:

==============

Hallo swazi-muc,

We do not ship without jewel cases as it is a violation of Ebay's policies. 6 CDs are $18.40 via USPS airmail.

John

==============

If this is true, a lot of sellers I know are violating Ebay's policies. Does anybody know if this is true ? Does Ebay have a policy defining how CD's are shipped ?? :wtf:

Bernd, I have also asked John the same question and was given the same answer. I've noticed a lot of sellers on Egay have this policy. Why indeed? :unsure:

Besides that, the CDs I've ordered from Renaissance (on two occasions) have arrived safe. No problemo in the shipping. :)

Man I haven't heard of that being Ebay's policy. Every Japan seller that I've bought from on Ebay offers shipping with cases or without. They offer either way on each cd lsiting. So with it spelled out and listed that way I don't see how they could do it if it was a violation of Ebay's policy??? I have bought from several sellers in Korea and they offer both shipping options also(cases or no cases). I have sent cds without cases and I have even put 2 cds in one case for people to help out on shipping costs.

I dont think there's such policy.

On the other hand, $18.40 for 6 CDs with jewel cases is not so bad shipping price as for eGay (where sellers have to ask for some handling portion to cover at least partially for the fees).

The ACTUAL shipping cost on 6 CDs (approx 4oz per cd + 2oz envelope = 1lbs 10oz total weight) is $15.25 (or $11.95 if shipped in priority airmail flat-rate envelope, but not many people do that coz it takes effort to pack well).

Without jewel cases it will be marginal between $8.45 (under 12oz, minimal packaging) or $10.10 (13-16oz)

I dont think there's such policy.

On the other hand, $18.40 for 6 CDs with jewel cases is not so bad shipping price as for eGay (where sellers have to ask for some handling portion to cover at least partially for the fees).

The ACTUAL shipping cost on 6 CDs (approx 4oz per cd + 2oz envelope = 1lbs 10oz total weight) is $15.25 (or $11.95 if shipped in priority airmail flat-rate envelope, but not many people do that coz it takes effort to pack well).

Without jewel cases it will be marginal between $8.45 (under 12oz, minimal packaging) or $10.10 (13-16oz)

Thanks for this explanation ! Very valuable !! :drink:

But this basically proves my previous assumption that there is no such policy. Not saying that Ebay would not think about something like that ... :whistle:

I wonder, though, why John from Renaissance Records thinks it is necessary to tell me such BS ?!

I bought 2 cds from a guy in Texas. I asked for shipping costs without cases BEFORE buying he told me $6 (it's less but it's reasonable) & when I bought the items he sent me an invoice adding $11.95 !!! For God's sake...

It's not ebay policy but I think no-one can protect you it depends from each other's character...

Not aware of any such E Bay policy either. As you know, I've sent CDs to you without the jewel cases as I do many collectors in Germany and elsewhere in Europe. The only problem I've ever run into is a couple of buyers who make outlandish demands on how the CDs are to be packed and protected for shipment. Let's face it.......the jewel case is the piece of the puzzle designed to protect the CD. All the extra protection these particular people demand not only adds to my expense, but adds to the weight which puts us right back to where we were sending with the jewel case. As long as people are not over demanding, I have no problem sending without the jewel cases and I do my best to put them in protective sleeves to avoid scratching and wrap them in bubble wrap to cushion them. If someone should buy a really expensive CD, I would always recommend sending with the jewel case as added protection for the disc.

Shipping without jewel cases are the way to go because it reduces the shipping charge quite a bit. I always laugh when i see a seller/ online store wanting 3.99 or more for shipping/ handling each CD. United States Postal Service only charges for shipping not handling. The Handling charge is what a seller thinks they deserve for throwing it in a package for you.

You can easily sent a cd with inserts/ covers without a jewel case for around $1.25.

Shipping without jewel cases are the way to go because it reduces the shipping charge quite a bit. I always laugh when i see a seller/ online store wanting 3.99 or more for shipping/ handling each CD. United States Postal Service only charges for shipping not handling. The Handling charge is what a seller thinks they deserve for throwing it in a package for you.

You can easily sent a cd with inserts/ covers without a jewel case for around $1.25.

Once again, I personally have no problem with shipping without the jewel case....however, when you talk about "The Handling charge is what a seller thinks they deserve for throwing it in a package for you. I remind you that those bubble wrap or cardboard mailers are not picked off trees grown in the back yard, they are paid for by the seller along with tape, ink and other supplies required for shipping. And No, that's not part of the sale price just as postage fees are not part of the sale price......let's be fair here and remember, when that CD arrives broken or damaged, it is the seller who is blamed, not the delivery service whether it be UPS, USPS or any other country's mail provider. He is the one blamed for improper packaging. And finally, if you are buying a $5.00 CD, fine.....but, buying an expensive CD and then wishing to have it mailed without its protective jewel case just doesn't make sense to save a buck or two.......?????? :hammer:

Not aware of any such E Bay policy either. As you know, I've sent CDs to you without the jewel cases as I do many collectors in Germany and elsewhere in Europe. The only problem I've ever run into is a couple of buyers who make outlandish demands on how the CDs are to be packed and protected for shipment. Let's face it.......the jewel case is the piece of the puzzle designed to protect the CD. All the extra protection these particular people demand not only adds to my expense, but adds to the weight which puts us right back to where we were sending with the jewel case. As long as people are not over demanding, I have no problem sending without the jewel cases and I do my best to put them in protective sleeves to avoid scratching and wrap them in bubble wrap to cushion them. If someone should buy a really expensive CD, I would always recommend sending with the jewel case as added protection for the disc.

Totally man, that's the one thing that can let me fly off the handle big time. Having a scrooge buyer trying to negotiate the cheapest shipping possible, and then telling you "...and please pack well!" Yeah right... :hammer:

i find discs and inserts can be damaged more often with broken cases than if packed PROPERLY in paper sleeves and cardboard. (just stuffing the discs and insert in bubble wrap envelope doesn't count as properly)

don't know how many times I had discs is cases crushed and then all the little bits of plastic from the centre fixing point are floating around with the disc. Just what I want, little bits of sharp, shattered plastic floating around on the playing surface of a now unsecured disc.

I always asked for shipping prices without jewel cases when the price of items are low.

And my reasons aren't always the shipping prices:

1º THE SHIPPING COSTS (Yes, first reason :christmas: )

2º CUSTOMS IN PORTUGAL LIKE LARGE PACKAGE :whistle:

3º MANY ITEMS I BOUGHT WITH JEWEL CASES, ARRIVE WITH IT BROKEN

i find discs and inserts can be damaged more often with broken cases than if packed PROPERLY in paper sleeves and cardboard. (just stuffing the discs and insert in bubble wrap envelope doesn't count as properly)

don't know how many times I had discs is cases crushed and then all the little bits of plastic from the centre fixing point are floating around with the disc. Just what I want, little bits of sharp, shattered plastic floating around on the playing surface of a now unsecured disc.

You've got to be kidding me right????? Cardboard and paper sleeves are the ultimate CD protection now!!!!

You've got to be kidding me right????? Cardboard and paper sleeves are the ultimate CD protection now!!!!

correct. The combination of a STIFF piece of cardboard (ie u cannot bend it easily) and a cardboard mailer provides far more protection than a shitty plastic jewel case manufactured in china out of the shittiest waste plastic they can lay their hands on and a bit of bubble wrap. Bubble wrap stops imapct damage... not bending or twisting which is where the cds and inserts get damaged.

I've never had a cd damged if packed correctly with cardboard.

Correctly is the important term, as just using flimsy card and bubble wrap provides no protection at all. I cut a piece of board just larger than the ineserts, put inserts in a plastic sleeve and fix this to the card so they cant move, and then do similar with the discs in paper sleeves. If i'm unsure about the strength of the card, I will double it up, and then put that in a cardboard mailer. If you can bend that I'll be damned.

Old jewel cases had a bit of strenght to them whereas the newer ones just crack and break if you look at them.

I'd back the way I pack my cds any day, over a jewel case in a bubble wrap envelope.

'Quality and quantity' James even complimented me on how I pakced the discs I sent him, and I'm pretty sure he's sees as many CD packages as anyone around here.

• 2 weeks later...

i found the bassist(he's in jail now unfortunately) of an arcain US band with a 7" single. he didn't want money and he sent it to me(round '99). he put the stamps + adress on the cover of the single and mailed it ,ahahahaha.....strangely it arrived safe....