Sega Mega F*cking Drive or Genesis

Geoff

Obviously I'm a hardcore gamer.

I've had this Sega Mega Drive (called a Genesis in the US) for about 18 years and it's always worked fine on all my crabby TVs. Recently we got a big "new" one for free and we've set it up for use. It works well, except recently I tried to hook the Sega up for the first time in a few years and for the f*ck of me I just cannot find a station which receives it. I try to put it on the video channel, AV, AV2... every other station, but nothing's working and it's f*cking me off to the f*ck times squared. WHY? Why won't it just work like it always did with my other TVs? It's plugged in, connected right to the antenna, the power is on... but no channel will tune into it.

Any old school gamers (like I am) have any tips for me?

Thanks sports.

Obviously I'm a hardcore gamer.

I've had this Sega Mega Drive (called a Genesis in the US) for about 18 years and it's always worked fine on all my crabby TVs. Recently we got a big "new" one for free and we've set it up for use. It works well, except recently I tried to hook the Sega up for the first time in a few years and for the f*ck of me I just cannot find a station which receives it. I try to put it on the video channel, AV, AV2... every other station, but nothing's working and it's f*cking me off to the f*ck times squared. WHY? Why won't it just work like it always did with my other TVs? It's plugged in, connected right to the antenna, the power is on... but no channel will tune into it.

Any old school gamers (like I am) have any tips for me?

Thanks sports.

You are so up to date mate, I can't even remember what my old Megadrive looks like.

Anyway - I need some advice on how to set up my shiny new ZX Spectrum, any ideas? ;)

If ZX Spectrum is seriously the name of something real I'm going to wear my martian tentacles out tomorrow.

If ZX Spectrum is seriously the name of something real I'm going to wear my martian tentacles out tomorrow.

Get them tentacles out my friend. :lol:

Oh the memories!

spectrum48k_jpg.jpg

Oh the memories!

spectrum48k_jpg.jpg

:lol: HAHA! I thought fo sure you were talking about the latest light-powered solar magnetic arctic thermometer eating and mating device in gaming... but apparently not. :lol:

Oh the memories!

spectrum48k_jpg.jpg

:lol: HAHA! I thought fo sure you were talking about the latest light-powered solar magnetic arctic thermometer eating and mating device in gaming... but apparently not. :lol:

It is isn't it :unsure: The Salesman told me it was state of the art when he charged me £300 for it. How the fuck does this connect to the net anyway,I want to try out the new EA Sports 'Gay Aussie Rules' game on multiplayer - any ideas mate? :lol:

Oh the memories!

spectrum48k_jpg.jpg

It is isn't it :unsure: The Salesman told me it was state of the art when he charged me £300 for it. How the fuck does this connect to the net anyway,I want to try out the new EA Sports 'Gay Aussie Rules' game on multiplayer - any ideas mate? :lol:

Defender on that fucker ruled. With the sound coming out of that microscopic speaker. Oh the memories indeed.

We got given a mega drive about a year ago, strangely given to us by someones mum who's son had emigrated to Australia.....it plugged into the flat widescreen just fine mate. I guess you have the mega drive switched on while trying to do the frequency search?

Giving our Mega-Drive back soon as we have a new baby games system on the block come Christmas a Wii...shhhh...it's a surprise for the boy as he wanted one.

We got given a mega drive about a year ago, strangely given to us by someones mum who's son had emigrated to Australia.....it plugged into the flat widescreen just fine mate. I guess you have the mega drive switched on while trying to do the frequency search?

Giving our Mega-Drive back soon as we have a new baby games system on the block come Christmas a Wii...shhhh...it's a surprise for the boy as he wanted one.

You put it directly into the TV without going via the DVD/VCR?

I haven't tried that but I could give it a go, I guess. Not sure how that'll work with the ariel though. The shitty thing is it worked just fine this way with my last TV - same DVD/VCR player. :(

Haha... yeah, it's definitely on. :)

Right....here's what I've done.

The mega drive has a cable splitter with ours, .... the lead from the "aerial" connection at the back of the Sega has a splitter box on it....the lead marked TV OUT on the splitter box goes into the aerial socket on the back of the TV, the other connection you use to run the secondary aerial connection to your VCR.

Any help?

Right....here's what I've done.

The mega drive has a cable splitter with ours, .... the lead from the "aerial" connection at the back of the Sega has a splitter box on it....the lead marked TV OUT on the splitter box goes into the aerial socket on the back of the TV, the other connection you use to run the secondary aerial connection to your VCR.

Any help?

Yeah, I don't have it in front of me but I'm pretty sure that's exactly how mine is. The thing is, when we got the new TV I didn't change any of those connections. Obviously just a new cord for the TV and that was it. I'll have a look again today. Thanks for your research mate. The next rabbit you see will smile at you... because I arranged it.l

Good lu.....WTF....hang on........

..............just had to throw a rock at some rabbit outside pissing it's sides laughing at me

...anyway..yeah good luck mate!

got my son a Wii for last Christmas and we all use it, great fun.

I miss My Genesis.. It's in NY and I am in Oregon.... :crying:

I got the Sega CD and 32X too.....

I then graduated to a Sony Playstation, then a PS2, and now I have a PS3 which is AWESOME!!

I started out on an old Atari 800..... :whistle:

Never been a big Nintendo fan to be honest..... Some of it I like, but I never owned a Nintendo System... My sister had a Super Nintendo and I did play that a bit....

Yea I like My video games... :tumbsup:

• 2 years later...

Bumpin' this one just for the hell of it. Geoff, did you ever get your MegaDrive/Genesis working again???

My eight year old discovered my old Sega Genesis in the cabinet about a week ago, so we fired it up and now he's hooked on Sonic the Hedgehog and "Bubsy: Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind." Meanwhile I'm working on getting back to my former ass-kicking weight on Centipede. :D Damn, I love old school games.

Bumpin' this one just for the hell of it. Geoff, did you ever get your MegaDrive/Genesis working again???

My eight year old discovered my old Sega Genesis in the cabinet about a week ago, so we fired it up and now he's hooked on Sonic the Hedgehog and "Bubsy: Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind." Meanwhile I'm working on getting back to my former ass-kicking weight on Centipede. :D Damn, I love old school games.

Wow mate, thanks for the resurrection. To be honest, the Mega Drive and all 8000 games got packed up and put away in the garage - much to my wife's delight - and I haven't seen it since.

But we since scrapped that TV and got us our new Full HD massive screen one. I wonder if it is any more compatible with this new one? One thing I know for sure is that next time my wife is out of the house for an hour or two, I am going to find out! ;)

I'm actually pretty excited about this, thanks for the reminder, Keefasaurus.

i guess it's still compatible because judging from my LED TV, it still has the composite white/yellow/red jack behind so i assume that thing will work on AV1/AV2.

but if you guys want to play old NES/Sega Genesis games, actually you only have to download the emulator and games on the net and play it on your PC, it will save a lot of your time plugging in and out the old dusty console thing and man you also can play games on your lunch time at the office, how cool is that :D

i guess it's still compatible because judging from my LED TV, it still has the composite white/yellow/red jack behind so i assume that thing will work on AV1/AV2.

but if you guys want to play old NES/Sega Genesis games, actually you only have to download the emulator and games on the net and play it on your PC, it will save a lot of your time plugging in and out the old dusty console thing and man you also can play games on your lunch time at the office, how cool is that :D

Yeah but that sounds like a lot of effort and computer know-how. Plus, it just wouldn't be the same. Man I'm keen to get my Mega Drive set up... though I have no idea when I'd have time to play it...

yeah, nothing beats playing on the console directly, for old time sakes

i remember several Genesis games i like to play years ago, Golden Axe series, Art of Fighting, Super Shinobi etc, but when SNES came out, i eventually switched to it :D

I bought a Megadrive some years ago (when they were still the current machine) that was an old shop display model. It had no box, controller or cables, but was dirt cheap.

Being that I was out of work at the time it was the only way I could afford it, as it allowed me to buy the system piece by piece and at a reduced cost as I was able to buy third party controllers instead of official Sega ones etc.

One thing I made sure I did though was buy a cable that went to the scart socket rather than the aerial socket as I did that on my old Amiga, and it improved the picture quality no end.

I know scart isnt used outside Europe, and cables are probably tougher to get hold of these days, but I can highly recommend buying a cable that connects to a better quality socket on your tv if you want it to look a bit better.

Just as an example. On my Amiga I used to play the old Addams Family game, and when it was run through the aerial Gomez wore a blue suit. When I ran it through the scart, I found out that the suit wasnt solid blue, it was actually pinstriped.

Obviously if you compare it to modern computer games its a bit silly, but it was amazing back in the day to find out the difference in quality you could get by simply replacing the standard cable.

I even replaced the scart lead on my PS2 with a special one with a switcher on it that allowed me to play NTSC DVDs on it in colour as the standard cable would only play them in black and white.