Joel Ellis accuses Jon Bon Jovi of stealing his song!

glam_junkie

>> Yeah, I've heard the PBF story too. But the debut CD actually credits Stiles with the song writing, doesn't it? <<

No, there are no publishing credits at all on the album, which is what originally caused the controversy.

The story is 100% true ... and, as far as the Bon Jovi guys ripping other people's music off I've heard that for over 2 decades now. A friend of mine even played me a demo that was done in 1985 or 86 with the exact same acapella opening (different lyrics) and intro solo as "You Give Love A Bad Name."

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doesnt mean its intentional though...

Metal That Sounds Like Other Metal:

I

II

III

IV

V

VI

VII

VIII

IX

X

XI

XII

XIII

XIV

XV

XVI

XVII

XVIII

XIX

XX

XXI

XXII

XXIII

XXIV

XXV

XXVI

Requests Special

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIg6uZt51lw...;watch_response

do you see my point? also, Iron Maiden pop up alot in those videos....in some cases, using their own riffs again!

do you see my point? also, Iron Maiden pop up alot in those videos....in some cases, using their own riffs again!

You complain about people talking shit about your beloved Bon Jovi but you seem to talk shit about Iron Maiden a lot knowing that it's gonna piss people(like me) off.

At least Maiden is ripping themselves off and not some other struggling band/musician.

You complain about people talking shit about your beloved Bon Jovi but you seem to talk shit about Iron Maiden a lot knowing that it's gonna piss people(like me) off.

At least Maiden is ripping themselves off and not some other struggling band/musician.

watch the vids, they dont just rip off their own riffs..

im not tryna take the piss out of Maiden, im just pointing out that so many people like Iron Maiden and theyre guilty of it aswell, just that Bon Jovi gets the pisstakes...

but according Pete, its okay to rip off other peoples music :lol:

im not tryna take the piss out of Maiden, im just pointing out that so many people like Iron Maiden and theyre guilty of it aswell, just that Bon Jovi gets the pisstakes...

There is a HUGE difference between writing a song that has a similar riff to another song(that's called influence) and taking a demo tape and stealing the song and calling it your own.

There is a HUGE difference between writing a song that has a similar riff to another song(that's called influence) and taking a demo tape and stealing the song and calling it your own.

thats if he did that...Joel Ellis never really went anywhere JBJ did....you dont think theresa good chance he just saidthat to get noticed?

and i had a listen to that song Mustang was talking about.....only similarity is they used a 12 string guitar and a minor 3rd lick like in Wanted Dead Or Alive...but that same lick is in Layla by Eric Clapton.

and if he did write Ill Be There For You, they could have heard the take and subconciously ripped it off (George Harrison did it!!!)

i did that, i accidently ripped of Church Of Desire by Richie Sambora in one of my lyrics, it was totally unintentional though.

if they think of a chorus, like Ill Be There For You, and put it to a tune, the first tune that pops in their head would be this Ellis demo....even though they dont realise it.

besides, atleast i heard the Ted Poley song, i still havent heard Ellis' version :whistle:

thats if he did that...Joel Ellis never really went anywhere JBJ did....you dont think theresa good chance he just saidthat to get noticed?

I think if he wanted to be noticed he would of mentioned it around 20 years ago. :whistle:

The reason he mentioned it now is because of the article where a musician accused Jon of stealing his song.

Besides if Joel really wanted to be noticed I think he'd be telling his story to television, newspapers or magazines and not a website.

• 2023 Gold Donors
im actually kinda interested in wether or not JBJ did rip off this guys song....when every threadlike this turns into a Bon Jovi pisstake it gets tiresome..

do you guys not realise that this site is primarily about Hair Metal? a style that Bon Jovi were very well known for in the 80s....they are the only decentband of our genre that you guys constantly take the piss out of, just because theyve released a couple of crap albums lately..

well so have Europe, Poison and Warrant, you dont take the piss out of themEVERY time theyre mentioned though, do you?

ok, maybe you do on the Poison one

'A couple of crap albums lately' is pushing it a little!! - try Haven't done a really decent album since 'New Jersey' 20 years ago. That fits a little better I think.

Maybe thats when the scene changed and grunge and altenative entered the picture. They weren't able to rip off any more up and coming artist so they had to actually try and write their own music. :loser:

You mean when I say things like Bon Jovi > Iron Maiden, it pisses you off? :P

See but when you say it you say it knowing that your wrong, he actually thinks he's right. :lol:

See but when you say it, you say it knowing that your wrong, he actually thinks he's right. :lol:

Uh, is now a bad time to tell you that I actually do like Bon Jovi better than Iron Maiden? :unsure:

See but when you say it, you say it knowing that your wrong, he actually thinks he's right. :lol:

Uh, is now a bad time to tell you that I actually do like Bon Jovi better than Iron Maiden? :unsure:

I know you do, I was joking. :tumbsup:

atleast Bon Jovi's CDs all sound different! country or not, they havent been playing the same, galloping riffs for the last 30 years.

But Maiden invented that sound so they can play it all they want.

And all of Maiden albums don't sound the same. Listen to them all and get back to me.

atleast Bon Jovi's CDs all sound different! country or not, they havent been playing the same, galloping riffs for the last 30 years.

And all of Maiden albums don't sound the same. Listen to them all and get back to me.

all the singles do though...

Is this thread still going? Jeeeeez. :blink:

"Aces High" sounds like "Run to the Hills"? In what universe?

"Can I Play with Madness" sounds like "Wicker Man"? I don't think so.

Yes some of their songs do sound similar but that's why they call it a "Signature Sound". :whistle:

Yes some of their songs do sound similar but that's why they call it a "Signature Sound". :whistle:

maybe, i call it cashing in on what worked to make more hits, reusing the same old formula...

still, im theone that lieks Lost Highway because it sounds so different to their earlier stuff....so ill always take diversity over signature sound personally...

Awwww, forget it... I'm not even gonna bother. :gone:

maybe, i call it cashing in on what worked to make more hits, reusing the same old formula...

still, im theone that lieks Lost Highway because it sounds so different to their earlier stuff....so ill always take diversity over signature sound personally...

Cashing in? You do realise that Iron Maiden has never had a real hit single, well at least outside of the UK.

Besides "Run to Hills", which is the only song that radio ever plays, Maiden has hardly had any radio play in the US. All of their videos were only played on Headbangers Ball back in the day and not during daylight hours.

But they still sold gold and platinum in the US because of how awesome they are live, which is what makes a great band a great band. And for the record Maiden has never written or recorded an album in Nashville. :whistle:

Your a boring little man aren't you :bowdown:

yet you waste your time replying to my posts :)

yet you waste your time replying to my posts :)

I was reading everyone else's and your's got in the way!!

Cashing in? You do realise that Iron Maiden has never had a real hit single, well at least outside of the UK.

Besides "Run to Hills", which is the only song that radio ever plays, Maiden has hardly had any radio play in the US. All of their videos were only played on Headbangers Ball back in the day and not during daylight hours.

But they still sold gold and platinum in the US because of how awesome they are live, which is what makes a great band a great band. And for the record Maiden has never written or recorded an album in Nashville. :whistle:

No reponse yet........Hmmm.

Even Pantera went country at one stage didn't they... with Cowboys From Hell