Blonz - Any fans of this band?

heaven&hell

plus, Spinal Tap were based on Iron Maiden!

Didn't this line say "Spinal Tap were based on Judas Priest" last time I saw it? :blink: either way... Capt. Howdy sez "try to educate him," so educate him I shall.

Spinal Tap were NOT based on any one band in particular. When Christopher Guest, Rob Reiner, Harry Shearer, and Michael McKean were writing the film they went to see most, if not all, of the popular hard rock bands of the day (early 80s). Iron Maiden were part of that mix, as were Judas Priest (though I remember reading an article years back that said the Tap guys all went to a Priest show and found them "pretty boring"), but they also borrowed bits from other bands as well. A big inspiration was Black Sabbath not only because they were pretty much has-beens by the early 80s, just as Spinal Tap were in the film -- but the "tiny Stonehenge" bit in "Spinal Tap" is a reversal of a real event that happened to Sabbath on their BORN AGAIN tour, their Stonehenge stage set was so huge that it didn't fit into half of the venues they were booked at.

The character of Janine Pettibone (David St. Hubbins' hippie girlfriend who takes over managing the band and arranges their tour dates thereafter according to the band members' astrological signs) is very obviously based on Wendy Dio (Ronnie's wife) who apparently did the same thing as her hubby's manager.

Harry Shearer (aka Derek Smalls) also knew a guy who was on Saxon's road crew so he was able to follow them around on tour for a while, so a lot of his portrayal of Derek Smalls was based on Saxon's bass player at the time (whose name escapes me at the moment) -- the stage moves, the stuffed pants, etc.

Oh, and drummer Stumpy Joe Pepys (who plays drums in the "Listen to the Flower People" clip from the "Pop, Look and Listen" TV show) was played by Ed Begley Jr., noted environmentally friendly actor and star of "St. Elsewhere." That's got nothing to do with the rest of this post, I just thought I'd throw it in there to show what a geek I am about this movie. :lol:

You are the biggest Geek in the world. :lol:

Serioulsy as I stated in a previous post I knew about the Sabbath thing but I wasn't aware about the Saxon or Wendy Dio stuff. Very informative as usual. :drink:

Serioulsy as I stated in a previous post I knew about the Sabbath thing but I wasn't aware about the Saxon or Wendy Dio stuff. Very informative as usual. :drink:

Just doing my job, mate. Just doing my job. :spboba::spvader::spr2d2:

By the way, Artie Fufkin (the "kick my ass" guy) is played by Paul Schaefer from "David Letterman" and Bobbi Flekman is portrayed by Fran Drescher of "The Nanny" fame. And if you look close you can see Billy Crystal in a brief cameo as a mime waiter during the record-label party scene @ the beginning of the film ("Come on guys, mime is money!")

See? I can't stop myself!! I'm SUCH A GEEK!! :crying:

but we're nerds, not geeks :D

thats my story and im sticking to it!

Whatever, Nerd Boy. I say it loud, I'm a geek and I'm proud.

Just doing my job, mate. Just doing my job. :spboba::spvader::spr2d2:

By the way, Artie Fufkin (the "kick my ass" guy) is played by Paul Schaefer from "David Letterman" and Bobbi Flekman is portrayed by Fran Drescher of "The Nanny" fame. And if you look close you can see Billy Crystal in a brief cameo as a mime waiter during the record-label party scene @ the beginning of the film ("Come on guys, mime is money!")

See? I can't stop myself!! I'm SUCH A GEEK!! :crying:

Artie Fufkin... hmm was he some manager that appeared for a bit?

The mime is also that famous dude whos name escapes me...

Artie Fufkin is the promotions guy from Polymer Records who arranges the autograph signing session for the band at a local record store... which nobody shows up at.

Artie Fufkin is the promotions guy from Polymer Records who arranges the autograph signing session for the band at a local record store... which nobody shows up at.

ahh yes,

classic

I have no clue if this is true or not but I heard the Artie Fufkin character was based on Doc McGhee.

very likely...

the Manager was Ian Faith, i think....was that his last name?

gotta love that signing session scene tho;

"I cant see it!"

"Just turn it towards the light"

I have no clue if this is true or not but I heard the Artie Fufkin character was based on Doc McGhee.

very likely...

the Manager was Ian Faith, i think....was that his last name?

gotta love that signing session scene tho;

"I cant see it!"

"Just turn it towards the light"

It'd be hard for me to believe that it was based on Doc since the movie came out when Motley hadn't been around the long. I'm not even sure he was managing Bon Jovi at the time of the movies release.

Bon Jovi's first album was released two years after Tap.

but Motley had been around for a couple of years.

actually, H&H has a point, Doc really came to fame in the LATE 80s, whereas Tap was 82 i believe..

why didnt i think of that..

Yeah, I love 'What on your mind' too. Not a fan of keys in general but the keys in that song send shivers down my spine as though it were an icicle. Such a heartfelt vocal delivery too. And 'Miracles'... few better ways to start and album have I heard.

I'm not 100 percent sure but I think Ian Faith was based on Led Zeppelin's manager (I believe his name was Peter something? I can't remember off the top of my head). If memory serves Zep's manager was known to swing a mean cricket bat like Ian does in the movie.

Jesus people, chill the fuck out.

When the fuck did this become a message board where people cannot have differences of opinions on bands, without people resorting to calling people names?

So Sambora likes Bon Jovi, and doesnt like Priest and Maiden....so fucking what?

So some of you dont like Bon Jovi....so fucking what?

Give it a fucking rest.

This message board is fast becoming a place I do not want to visit anymore, cause all I am seeing is a bunch of so called grown up adults picking on someone who is little more than a kid.

I bet you all feel fucking proud of yourselves.

And before anyone says anything, no its not a joke, and you are not just jerking his chain, you are taking every chance you get to take pot shots at him.

Try to educate him, not bully him!

I've never once tried to bully him.

Hell I even hooked him up with 3 or 4 Vain cds when he wasn't sure if he liked them or not.

All I'm saying is if you're joking make sure people know that you're joking that way you don't rub people the wrong way. And for people having differences of a opinion I have no problem with that. Geoff and myself don't always see eye to eye on music tastes but we can joke with each other and we always know when each of us is joking.

Zzzzzz Another person that needs to get a 'Sense of Humour' implant urgently, or needs to loosen the old undies a bit!!

As I and a few others have said before, if people didn't leave themselves wide open to a bit of 'Piss taking', which is DEFINATELY what is is, then maybe we wouldn't do it!! Then again maybe 'we' would, 'cos we like it :lol:

And maybe thats exactly what bullying is!

You say people should get a sense of humour, but maybe just maybe you aint as funny as you think you are.

There is a difference between the friendly ribbing that has always been a staple here, and constantly taking shots at someone because "you find it funny".

When the fuck did this become a message board where people cannot have differences of opinions on bands, without people resorting to calling people names?

So Sambora likes Bon Jovi, and doesnt like Priest and Maiden....so fucking what?

Give it a fucking rest.

This message board is fast becoming a place I do not want to visit anymore, cause all I am seeing is a bunch of so called grown up adults picking on someone who is little more than a kid.

And before anyone says anything, no its not a joke, and you are not just jerking his chain, you are taking every chance you get to take pot shots at him.

Hell I even hooked him up with 3 or 4 Vain cds when he wasn't sure if he liked them or not.

All I'm saying is if you're joking make sure people know that you're joking that way you don't rub people the wrong way. And for people having differences of a opinion I have no problem with that. Geoff and myself don't always see eye to eye on music tastes but we can joke with each other and we always know when each of us is joking.

Zzzzzz Another person that needs to get a 'Sense of Humour' implant urgently, or needs to loosen the old undies a bit!!

As I and a few others have said before, if people didn't leave themselves wide open to a bit of 'Piss taking', which is DEFINATELY what is is, then maybe we wouldn't do it!! Then again maybe 'we' would, 'cos we like it :lol:

You say people should get a sense of humour, but maybe just maybe you aint as funny as you think you are.

There is a difference between the friendly ribbing that has always been a staple here, and constantly taking shots at someone because "you find it funny".

well said :bowdown:

Give it a fucking rest.

Cap'n - one thing I certainly ain't mate is a bully and anyone who knows me (properly) will certainly vouch for that - piss taker, by all means, but as I said, aren't we all to a degree. I don't claim to be funny, and certainly don't think I am either, Just when people leave themselves wide open, In I go mate, as do others. SR86 seems to be making a hell of a lot more of this than it is, I really don't have a problem with him (apart from he is a cheeky little bugger who has an answer for everything, contradicts alot of what he says and generally needs to learn a little respect, but that I can forgive at his age) and he keeps bringing up that I have some kind of grudge, which I certainly don't against anyone I know,and especially a 16 year old kid - i'm not that kind of bloke. Just a thought - maybe if he didn't reply to every post and take everything literally, and just chill out like everyone else does, then things would be different. I have never made any personal attacks on him (believe you me he would know if I did), so there ya go. I will steer clear of him and as he has just said thankfully, he will do likewise.

I'm not 100 percent sure but I think Ian Faith was based on Led Zeppelin's manager (I believe his name was Peter something? I can't remember off the top of my head). If memory serves Zep's manager was known to swing a mean cricket bat like Ian does in the movie.

Peter Grant. One of the greatest Band Managers ever IMO.

Bon Jovi's first album was released two years after Tap.

but Motley had been around for a couple of years.

actually, H&H has a point, Doc really came to fame in the LATE 80s, whereas Tap was 82 i believe..

why didnt i think of that..

I don't think that Doc and Doug Thaler started managing Motley until 1983.

Give it a fucking rest.

And now we seem to have a "pacifist" amongst us.This board is a place where fans of rock music,from lite to heavy,actually mix and offer alternative views.Humour can,and should,take a prevelant role in exchanges,some peoples humour takes different forms,some "straight-at-ya" and a few very much sarcasm-based.You as a Brit should appreciate that,perhaps more than our "foreign",for want of a better word,counterparts.Regarding the "kid", as you put it,people have/will try to "educate" him and offer help and advice,but by judging by his responses,he has a "Thanks,but I already know that" type-attitude,with no grasp of irony and joking sarcasm.Plus,posts stating "I've done this and I've done that" but with no redeemable end product and being prone to exaggeration in fields that others know much more than he does,can be greeted less favourably.Why the board is fast becoming a place you don't want to visit is a bit of a mystery.Why is that ?? You don't seem to post anything anyway,but I digress.Irony,sarcasm,humour and the like are a way of life,in every walk,whatever you do.Sermon over !!!!!

but then we know how rude and reserved the english are -_-

i only gave you a "Thanks, but i already know that" response when you gave me advice that i never asked for.

look for the threads that ask for advice and im very appreciative (except for a couple lately because i dont really want Jez's advice on anything atm)

but then we know how rude and reserved the english are -_-

i only gave you a "Thanks, but i already know that" response when you gave me advice that i never asked for.

look for the threads that ask for advice and im very appreciative (except for a couple lately because i dont really want Jez's advice on anything atm)

"Rude and Reserved"?? Compared to....??

You have never asked for specific advice,you ask for "any" advice,but if it's construed as "negative",the toys are out of the pram and people are deemed "picking on you".