Moronic Ebay Sellers

Each day i send off a few questions to ebay sellers regarding the cost of postage of CD's, or the condition of the CD etc...

the levels of stupidity and smartassness from the sellers is increasing! Constantly im getting stupid answers. It shows two things: 1. Ebay is out of control and people can do anything they like. 2. People are morons.

Yesterday i asked the cost of postage for 1 cd to Australia. I always check. The majority of the time its less then $5. Ive even had sellers from the US send me Cd's for about $2. I thought they would lose money, but when i checked the cost of postage when it arrived it was actually $1.50 - so somehow they managed to do it. But there are some sellers out there who feel for some reason they can name any price. I believe the highest ive been told is $US25 for 1 cd to Australia via normal mail.

Just yesterday an American seller quoted me $15.50 to send 1 cd via normal mail to Australia... without jewel case!! I replied saying that i assumed they were also sending a midget along with it to make sure it got to me ok.

And just this morning i had this answer from another seller: "$7 US + $1 each additional item. The dollar amount isn't so much for the actual cost of shipping, but the cost of the envelope, the time it takes me to stand in line at the post office, and more importantly, the time it takes me to fill out the customs forms that go along with international shipments."

I replied saying that obviously id be willing to pay for them to stand in line as they must be some sort of special celebrity who's time is more valuable then others... o and if he felt the need to take a crap on the way, id be most willing to pay extra for that too. It would indeed be an honour!

Next time i sell stuff, not only should i include postage and envelope costs, but my time spent at the post office... o yeh and my internet bill, the time spent checking ebay, they can pay for my petrol to the post office, pay for my electricity bill, pay for the air i breathe whilst their parcel is in my posession, ... hell they can even pay for the fact that i need to put clothes on before i go outside with their parcel. I also feel im pretty special - many of you have received items in the mail from me at somepoint, and so you would know that there is no greater feeling in the world then when you receive mail from me. I shall charge extra for those feeling's from now on.

Haha! :lol: Did you see a post I made a week or so ago on the exact same thing? I agree 100%. I f*cking hate people.

If normal people can charge just the cost for the envelope and postage, why are there motherf*ckers out there who feel thay have the right to charge us for the time it takes their precious little selves to write things, take time out of their perfect little days and walk places? Lazy f*cks. Why bother in the first place if you're that precious?

Haha! :lol: Did you see a post I made a week or so ago on the exact same thing? I agree 100%. I f*cking hate people.

If normal people can charge just the cost for the envelope and postage, why are there motherf*ckers out there who feel thay have the right to charge us for the time it takes their precious little selves to write things, take time out of their perfect little days and walk places? Lazy f*cks. Why bother in the first place if you're that precious?

I hadnt actually seen that post.

I agree. If they are so precious why are they seeking money for their junk on ebay?

To be fair, I have no clue on shipping internationally. The USPS website shows postage rates for international mail. It's always pretty high and NOBODY wants to pay that much for shipping. I would surely love to know how US folks are sending international mail for $2.00.

To be fair, I have no clue on shipping internationally. The USPS website shows postage rates for international mail. It's always pretty high and NOBODY wants to pay that much for shipping. I would surely love to know how US folks are sending international mail for $2.00.

I just sent 2 CD's, in jewel cases, via first class air mail to Canada for $3.76...

Recieved 2 cd's from same location w/o jewel cases, via 1st class air mail and the postage was $1.92...

I agree. If they are so precious why are they seeking money for their junk on ebay?

I agree with you guys 100%...I'm also sick of some sellers trying to gouge me on shipping and handling costs....the range for 1 cd from the U.S. to Canada is $1.50 to $24.95.....now it's something else entirely if the package is hand delivered to me by Fedex but the reality is that no matter what price is quoted in the auction, the item always shows up with $1.50-$2.00 in stamps on it.....and many times they don't even bother to put it in a padded envelope, just wrapped in brown paper and held together with scotch tape....

I agree with you guys 100%...I'm also sick of some sellers trying to gouge me on shipping and handling costs....the range for 1 cd from the U.S. to Canada is $1.50 to $24.95.....now it's something else entirely if the package is hand delivered to me by Fedex but the reality is that no matter what price is quoted in the auction, the item always shows up with $1.50-$2.00 in stamps on it.....and many times they don't even bother to put it in a padded envelope, just wrapped in brown paper and held together with scotch tape....

actually on the flip side there have been a handful of times ive had cheap postage and ive received an enormous parcel with 1 cd in it! i received a well padded parcel 2 wks ago that took me half an hour to open to find one cd off ebay!

• 2023 Gold Donors

I love when you e-mail a seller about the condition of a disc (liner notes,etc.) and they give you a 3 or 4 word bullsh*t answer... that answers absolutely nothing about your inquiry.Or they say some sh*t like "excellent condition" (without elaborating) .What the f**k does that mean ? Hell,the term "excellent condition" means different things to different people.One seller has a copy of a really cool disc you want and they say-"excellent condition" or "mint"---meanwhile the truth is its scratched all to freaking hell and the cover is creased and bent all to hell ? On the other end theres no doubt that alot of sellers get stupid worthless questions from folks who can't spell and or even articulate them 'd*mn 'selves. :screwy:

I just sent 2 CD's, in jewel cases, via first class air mail to Canada for $3.76...

Recieved 2 cd's from same location w/o jewel cases, via 1st class air mail and the postage was $1.92...

Marie's Auctions is a great seller who has always offered the cheap approx. $3.50 for a CD without case (from US to Australia). I constantly find myself going back to her because I know I can rely on her to charge an accurate shipping rate.

i dont expect people to be able to do it for that price, however i have seen it done a few times. Somehow the seller has got the psotage very cheap.

On the flip side, have you ever tried selling on ebay? If you haven't, then you should be aware of some of the dumb questions you recieve when the answers are CLEARLY in the auction description, often passed up by an over-zealous buyer who doesn't even read it and goes straight for the "Ask Seller A Question" button. Yes... Seriously

I just went through a barrage of questions a while back when a potential buyer sent me 4 different messages, with one question each in them. I'd responded to all of them with ONE response, and he proceeded to send me back 3 more messages with one question each. About 80% of his questions were answered right in the auction description. It got old real quick... To top it off, he expected me to ship it to MEXICO, when I specifically stated in the auction, USA and CANADA ONLY! I informed him of that, and recieved a "scolding" and he was going to report me to ebay for descrimination :screwy:

Anyway... back to shipping and questions...

I round up on my shipping. Usually the nearest dollar on small items, and on the larger ones, nearest 5-7 dollars. If a buyer doesn't understand that it costs a seller to buy packing supplies, then they don't need to buy from me. I just sold 3 computers. I charge $35 for shipping. It cost me an average of $29-32 in reality, but I also figured in the cost of the shipping accessories.

Yes... Some sellers GOUGE the shit out of you as a buyer, but you also have the choice to NOT buy from them.

Seller X has an item for $10 plus $5 shipping, and seller Y has the exact same item for $8 and $7 shipping. Seller X may be close on shipping and selling his item for $3 over cost. Seller Y may be selling his item for $1 over cost and making up for it on shipping and not having to be gouged by ebay. Either way, you spend $15.

I often go through this in the computers or guitars sections. Sellers try to charge me $100 or more for shipping when I know for a fact that shipping is about $35-40. I then compare the same items by other sellers. If the items are the same price, I know he's gouging on shipping. If the other sellers are more expensive with their price, and less on shipping, then it doesn't really matter.

Still the same... if you don't like the shipping price, buy from someone else...

i dont expect people to be able to do it for that price, however i have seen it done a few times. Somehow the seller has got the psotage very cheap.

Working for Royal Mail, I pretty much know what everything should cost (from the UK anyway),so anyone charging over $4-5 for a single disc is taking the piss in my book. In the UK £1 would cover a single disc easily. I have sent discs all over the world and the most I ever paid on shipping (inc cases) was for 3 discs to Australia and 3 to the US which set me back £2.75 ($5.50) each time, so anyone asking for $10-15 for a single disc would get a right royal 'F*ck off' from me.

• 2023 Gold Donors
To top it off, he expected me to ship it to MEXICO, when I specifically stated in the auction, USA and CANADA ONLY! I informed him of that, and recieved a "scolding" and he was going to report me to ebay for descrimination :screwy:

Yeah i agree...it goes both ways buying & selling.That guy was either a freaking dumbass or he probably had a problem reading your item description because he didn't speak or read english well.Or both...

Working for Royal Mail, I pretty much know what everything should cost (from the UK anyway),so anyone charging over $4-5 for a single disc is taking the piss in my book. In the UK £1 would cover a single disc easily. I have sent discs all over the world and the most I ever paid on shipping (inc cases) was for 3 discs to Australia and 3 to the US which set me back £2.75 ($5.50) each time, so anyone asking for $10-15 for a single disc would get a right royal 'F*ck off' from me.

That's the thing that pisses me off. I don't work in the industry, but I've been sending and receiving CDs to/from overseas for the better part of 10 years now, so I have a pretty good idea of what shit costs and I hate some maggot trying to bullshit his way around charging you $50 for a CD.

Ill be the bad guy here.... I charge a standard rate of 8oz for any cd being shipped out of the USA. Same I charge 3.50 for the first cd in the USA. It equals about the same amount overrage. I will not ship a cd without the case as I dont find it safe and dont need to hassle later if it gets damaged. Cardboard liners dont do it for me and by the time I thought there was enough carboard we would be right back up to the same weight. I require Insurance no matter what. After all that I charge 9.20 to Australia for shipping and insurance. While I do understand you want it as cheap as possible for shipping I figure 2.40 extra is not gonna break anyone and there usually are plenty of other sellers to choose from.

As for this really high shipping charges I concur but have a theory about that. Ill be the first to say I dont like to ship Internationally as there is no safe easy way to do it. Ya I can insure lalala but if they claim non receipt then you have to go through the paperwork and so forth. Personally I just dont have time as I do this between 10-12 hours aday almost everyday. The extra work doesnt bother me but my time is limited.

I only allow International bidders becuase in my experience they push the prices up on some items. I suspect other sellers may also realize this. Also I dont know how many times I have had buyers bid from other countries and never ask shipping until they win. There are some shady sellers out there that take advantage of that even though the buyer in all rights needs to ask these questions before bidding.

Bottom line is these guys dont care whether they sell to you or not and in return you shouldnt be buying from them

Also on the condition of booklets/inserts/scratches........... Back in the day before I new how big rare cds where I also couldnt understand why in the world a fold in a booklet mattered. My experience now allows me to answer that but back in the day I did everything to avoid these buyers. Why becuase condition is graded different by everyone and that caused problems. I never thought of a cd as collectible back then only that it played fine.

Problems I dont have time for and would rather not sell the item if that could be a issue.

By the way my spelling is horrible:):)

Personally I find it funny when a see a seller charging 25.00 but more funny when I see people continously buying his stuff.

hardrock80srule, I concur. I was trying to come up with the words myself, but now there is no need. I try to keep my starting prices as low as possible, because I like to let the market determine an item's worth. However, I am not a wholesaler and I generally pay $1.00 to $3.00 per item. Many times one bid items lose me some money (keep in mind, a 0.99 item paid by Paypal results in MOST of the money going to eBay). Also, I will ship international without jewel cases but only on low ticket items. I sold a rare one to a guy in Japan. He paid lower shipping cost, and was irate when the item arrived. CD and inserts were fine, but I guess it was the point. I "self-insure" all my items, which is just a BS way of saying you get your money back if a package gets lost or damaged. I find that the PO gets 99.9% of all items there and intact. Finally, I have had numerous Paypal claims, particularly Italy and Spain, which I have all lost. The Spain package, in particular, was even sent registered. So, I charge a bit highet to ship internationallly. In closing, I guess my s & h fees aren't ridiculously high, but they are also not "exact cost". On the other side, I absolutely take into consideration s & h when buying on eBay and generally stick to domestic sellers who charge $3.00-$4.00. As far as grading, I also agree. It is very subjective. If there is one small scartch visible only under a light source, does that need to be mentioned? I usually stay away from making judgement calls, but do try to answer questions. High ticket item questions will ALWAYS get answered. But, if I am starting something at a penny? However, I do use the words SATISFACTION GUARANTEED in my description, and try very hard to stick to it. Thanks for listening!

hardrock80srule, I concur. I was trying to come up with the words myself, but now there is no need. I try to keep my starting prices as low as possible, because I like to let the market determine an item's worth. However, I am not a wholesaler and I generally pay $1.00 to $3.00 per item. Many times one bid items lose me some money (keep in mind, a 0.99 item paid by Paypal results in MOST of the money going to eBay). Also, I will ship international without jewel cases but only on low ticket items. I sold a rare one to a guy in Japan. He paid lower shipping cost, and was irate when the item arrived. CD and inserts were fine, but I guess it was the point. I "self-insure" all my items, which is just a BS way of saying you get your money back if a package gets lost or damaged. I find that the PO gets 99.9% of all items there and intact. Finally, I have had numerous Paypal claims, particularly Italy and Spain, which I have all lost. The Spain package, in particular, was even sent registered. So, I charge a bit highet to ship internationallly. In closing, I guess my s & h fees aren't ridiculously high, but they are also not "exact cost". On the other side, I absolutely take into consideration s & h when buying on eBay and generally stick to domestic sellers who charge $3.00-$4.00. As far as grading, I also agree. It is very subjective. If there is one small scartch visible only under a light source, does that need to be mentioned? I usually stay away from making judgement calls, but do try to answer questions. High ticket item questions will ALWAYS get answered. But, if I am starting something at a penny? However, I do use the words SATISFACTION GUARANTEED in my description, and try very hard to stick to it. Thanks for listening!

Now I have never had a problem with Spain(so far)........ however Italy is my top country not to ship to. I honesty dont think its the people its there postal service. What should take a week or 2 takes a month or 2. My 3rd party insurance company does cover Italy but I would rather sent to Lebanon which I have done numerous times with no problems.

On the flip side, have you ever tried selling on ebay? If you haven't, then you should be aware of some of the dumb questions you recieve when the answers are CLEARLY in the auction description, often passed up by an over-zealous buyer who doesn't even read it and goes straight for the "Ask Seller A Question" button. Yes... Seriously

I just went through a barrage of questions a while back when a potential buyer sent me 4 different messages, with one question each in them. I'd responded to all of them with ONE response, and he proceeded to send me back 3 more messages with one question each. About 80% of his questions were answered right in the auction description. It got old real quick... To top it off, he expected me to ship it to MEXICO, when I specifically stated in the auction, USA and CANADA ONLY! I informed him of that, and recieved a "scolding" and he was going to report me to ebay for descrimination :screwy:

I round up on my shipping. Usually the nearest dollar on small items, and on the larger ones, nearest 5-7 dollars. If a buyer doesn't understand that it costs a seller to buy packing supplies, then they don't need to buy from me. I just sold 3 computers. I charge $35 for shipping. It cost me an average of $29-32 in reality, but I also figured in the cost of the shipping accessories.

Yes... Some sellers GOUGE the shit out of you as a buyer, but you also have the choice to NOT buy from them.

Seller X has an item for $10 plus $5 shipping, and seller Y has the exact same item for $8 and $7 shipping. Seller X may be close on shipping and selling his item for $3 over cost. Seller Y may be selling his item for $1 over cost and making up for it on shipping and not having to be gouged by ebay. Either way, you spend $15.

I often go through this in the computers or guitars sections. Sellers try to charge me $100 or more for shipping when I know for a fact that shipping is about $35-40. I then compare the same items by other sellers. If the items are the same price, I know he's gouging on shipping. If the other sellers are more expensive with their price, and less on shipping, then it doesn't really matter.

Still the same... if you don't like the shipping price, buy from someone else...

and on the flipside as a seller if you think you have heard it all Dont say it becuase you have not... One that stands out is the guy with 100% feedback that told me I was wrong for filling a NPA becuase he had 100% feedback and was a exception to my rules. My rules didnt count for him.

Or the buyer that claimed the radio didnt work and I said send back and they replied no biggie I will just throw it away and forget about it. Scammmmmmmmmm

Or the one that didnt pay and got a npa filed and decided to place more bids during the NPA

Or the numerous amount of International bidders that dont read the listings and dont have a Paypal account so they cant pay

Or the ones that leave bad feedback becuase it was not what they expected but was listed correctly

Or the ones that pay for media mail and wonder why its not there in 3 days when bottom of listing says media mail 2-9 days

or the one that claims a store bought cd is blank?

Or the ones that email you not realizing all the tracking info is attached to the ebay listing and ask where the package is when they got it a week ago.

or HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could go on endlessly to the things I have heard

And back to the shipping........

I do sell cds 3.50 for the first one and 4.60 priority up to 3 cds so basically its just the first cd that costs the most

Almost forgot the same day I sent 2 cd's without cases, weighing approximately 4oz to Slovenia, first class air mail, for $3.60.

BTW first class air mail is a 3-5 days delivery.

this is interesting....I am located in the U.S. have sold for years on ebay and privately and have never been able to send anything to australia for $2, hell, I can barely get it under $4 in the U.S......padded envelopes do cost money, the post office won't give them to me for free ( as much as I would like them to) so not sure how someone is shipping things that cheap...unless they are strapping them to a pidgeons leg and the bird seed costs $2,.....my costs are $9 1st class international, ( I have to purchase a padded envelope for this and the shipping is $8.00 from my post office and the envelope costs $1.19) so I am actually losing .19 cents plus tax, or $11 global priority mail, they provide the envelope but it still costs $11 to ship.....I can however put in up to 6 cd's with jewel cases for $11, more if not in jewel cases.....so If I can fit a buyers stuff in one pack, they might get 6-10 cd's shipped for $11, which I think is a super deal for that many discs in jewel cases.... but like T-Bone said, if someone's prices are just rediculous, and they are stated in the auction, you have agreed to their prices by simply bidding....if they are not stated I do not buy, or atleast ask.......if I don't like their answer I do not bid....I won't pay rediculous prices either, but some of us sellers just cannot seem to get the same rates others claim they are shipping their stuff for....lol...I do have to admit falling victim to a sellers overcharging of shipping in the past....some sellers offer what seems to be ok shipping rates of $3 or $4 for a cd, but if you buy three, I know being a shipper as well, they can get 3 cd's in the same package for not much more, priority in the U.S. is $5.45, and the box for that can hold 4 cd's in jewel cases, and many without jewel cases... with delivery confirmation, but they don't combine the shipping, they just X it by 3 so the 3 cd's cost $9-$12 because I bought 3, but once again that one was my fault because I quickly bought and did not stop to inquire......

I feel the buyer's pain, but if the sellers are making a living on eBay, they DO have to consider the time, materials, etc. That's why there is a handeling portion associated to the shipping cost. Time is money after all, and if a seller doesnt consider a proper compensation for the 5 minutes he will be spending filling customs forms and packing the items, he will be starving pretty soon. Not to mention the eBay and PayPal fees, which are big part of the equation and NEED to be considered by the seller.

Having said that, such mark ups idealy SHOULD be included in the item's price, but given the eBay's nature it has developed as a practice. As T-bone said it doesnt really mater if you buy a CD for $5 with $5 shipping, or for $2 with $8 shipping - it will cost you $10 either way. Nevertheless, the wast majority of the buyers WILL prefer to buy the $2 one, and this is exploited by the eBay sellers.

and on the flipside as a seller if you think you have heard it all Dont say it becuase you have not... One that stands out is the guy with 100% feedback that told me I was wrong for filling a NPA becuase he had 100% feedback and was a exception to my rules. My rules didnt count for him.

Or the buyer that claimed the radio didnt work and I said send back and they replied no biggie I will just throw it away and forget about it. Scammmmmmmmmm

Or the one that didnt pay and got a npa filed and decided to place more bids during the NPA

Or the numerous amount of International bidders that dont read the listings and dont have a Paypal account so they cant pay

Or the ones that leave bad feedback becuase it was not what they expected but was listed correctly

Or the ones that pay for media mail and wonder why its not there in 3 days when bottom of listing says media mail 2-9 days

or the one that claims a store bought cd is blank?

Or the ones that email you not realizing all the tracking info is attached to the ebay listing and ask where the package is when they got it a week ago.

or HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could go on endlessly to the things I have heard

And back to the shipping........

I do sell cds 3.50 for the first one and 4.60 priority up to 3 cds so basically its just the first cd that costs the most

Change your buyers settings. There's a section where you can set it so buyers MUST have a PayPal account to bid, which is what I did. I've recieved more dumb questions than I could ever remember to post here. Not saying I've heard them all, but I have heard some doozies.

I have had people want to return a CD because they didn't like what they heard. The feedback was not an issue because I wouldn't leave feedback until after they did. :whistle:

I have had a buyer try to do the old switcharoo on me with cd's they claim were scratched to hell, when I know for a fact that the one I sent was one I listened to 1 time and never played it again.

I've had buyers file PayPal claims trying to get their money back saying that they never bid on my item and that their account was stolen, when in fact they managed to leave me positive feedback for the transaction. PayPal saw this and dropped the case when I pointed it out. Why would someone who stole your account go back and leave positive feedback for a transaction? :screwy:

I've had the dimwits that expect their item to magically morph into their mailbox within 24 hours and proceed to e-mail me relentlessly until it gets there. They end up blocked from future auctions.

My favorite was last summer when a guy that was looking at a set of Camaro/Firebird rear window Louvers I had for sale e-mailed me to bitch about my Buy It Now price of $369. He claimed that he could go right down to the store and get them for $100 so I was an idiot. Aparently he was unaware that the set I had for sale hadn't been made since 1994 or so. They were Crager brand and were brand new in the box. I had found them in an auction where the seller misspelled every word in the title so no one was bidding against me. He was a surplas store so he kept relisting them when one would sell. I kept buying them and reselling them as soon as they got there for a hell of a profit. Anyway.. I informed the guy that he'd need a time machine to go get them in a store because they hadn't been made since 1994. He then sent back an e-mail bitching about why I didn't have a Best Offer for my auction. I replied with "Why would I do that? So I can recieve idiotic offers for much less than they're worth?" Needless to say, he never won any from me... BUT... he did manage to find where I was getting them. I had won the last 7 sets from the seller and the jackass outbid me at the last second on the LAST set the seller had. He then had the nerve to e-mail me once again and brag how much he got them for ($185) and then offer them to me for $250 so I could hog them all. I replied back with something like

"And who the hell did you think I was getting all mine from moron?!?!?!? Check mine and his feedback! Check who drove your price up on the set you got! You ARE a stupid one aren't you"

I got nothing back from the guy :loser::nyanya::whistle:

Anyway... enough of this. I should be sleeping for work and here I am... ;)

True, but like I said, don't buy from them. Once they're selling NOTHING, and paying all those listing fees, they'll possibly come to understand why other sellers are getting all their business. :popcorn:

"Having said that, such mark ups idealy SHOULD be included in the item's price, but given the eBay's nature it has developed as a practice. As T-bone said it doesnt really mater if you buy a CD for $5 with $5 shipping, or for $2 with $8 shipping - it will cost you $10 either way. Nevertheless, the wast majority of the buyers WILL prefer to buy the $2 one, and this is exploited by the eBay sellers."

The bottom line for most buyers: is the cost of shipping plus the item cost worth it or not....if not you don't bid.....but it still amazes me when I see ridiculous shipping costs and I can't help but think these sellers are NOT making much off their auctions when they scare off potential buyers with high shipping.... I just picked a PC game for $1 but the shipping was $19.80.....I bid $1 because the game was worth $20-$21 to me.....