Give it another spin....

Saga-Worlds Apart. Man a great band that I frankly thought

were pap...Don't know why. Well the joke was on me, Man

I am seriously digging this release and plan on getting more from them.

I'll say it right now, Dream Theater and Queensryche owe some props

to these guys,cause IMO I hear traces of Saga in both bands.

This band is MUCH Heavier than I thought and they have tons of

chops...and they put them to good use into GREAT songs. :drink:

Brilliant disc Eric and one of my all time favourite albums - the amount of times I must have played this over the years. What are you going for next as a matter of interest? May I be so bold as to suggest 'Silent Knight', 'Images At Twilight', 'Heads Or Tales' and 'Behaviour'. :drink:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant disc Eric and one of my all time favourite albums - the amount of times I must have played this over the years. What are you going for next as a matter of interest? May I be so bold as to suggest 'Silent Knight', 'Images At Twilight', 'Heads Or Tales' and 'Behaviour'. :drink:

I got Silent Knight...very good as well... Okay I think next will be

Heads or Tales...heard lots of good things about that one!!

Thanks Jez!!!! :drink:

I got Silent Knight...very good as well... Okay I think next will be

Heads or Tales...heard lots of good things about that one!!

Thanks Jez!!!! :drink:

'Silent Knight' is even better IMO - I wasn't sure if you would like that one or not, as even though it is only a year or so older than 'Worlds Apart', it has a more late 70's sound to it. If you like 'Silent Knight' then 'Images At Twilight ' shouldn't be a problem for you. . 'Worlds Apart' was where they modernised their sound a little and introduced all the Electric drums and Higher Tech elements, which continued into 'Heads Or Tales' and the excellent 'Behaviour'.

• 3 weeks later...

I was meant to say this the other day:

Skid Row - 'RPM' ; my thoughts haven't really changed but I do feel as though when it came out I gave the impression that I thought it was crap. I have to clarify again that I do actually really like this disc. I am still saddened by the fact that a cover song is easily the best song on the album and the CD doesn't really sound like Skid Row... but all that aside, it is a good solid hard rock disc and I really enjoy almost every song except that stupid piece of shit country song. Good disc. Now, if they could not do this again and return to something like 'Thickskin', I will be happy. :)

• 4 weeks later...

CYNICAL LIMIT: s/t

This is ex-Angelica guitarist Dennis Cameron's new band. Picked it up when it first came out a couple years ago, slotted it into the Christian metal section of my collection, and then forgot about it until recently at which time I gave it another listen. Pretty cool stuff; not quite the shredfests that the Angelica albums were, but still very melodic and at times a touch heavier than Angelica, as evidenced by the awesome opener "The Code" with its gang-vocal "NO!" chorus shouts.

I'm pretty fussy about what I keep nowadays, but even after spinning this one again, it still merits a place in my collection. Angelica fans, or fans of quality Christian melodic hard rock/metal in general, should definitely seek this one out.

• 7 months later...

Sly - S/T (1994)

It's well known round these parts that I love vintage Loudness, so I was all over this release when it first came out in the 90s. It was hyped as the big return of vocalist Minoru Niihara, who'd been out of the scene for a few years after being replaced by Michael Vescera in Loudness. For whatever reason, though, Sly's debut never really grabbed me by the nards the way I'd hoped it would. The performances are decent, Minoru's voice was still in fine shape at this time (as opposed to his work on current Loudness material, where he sounds like he's simply screaming into a paper bag), and the tunes are solidly old school metal, which was a rarity in the marketplace in the mid-90's. Unfortunately, the album as a whole comes off as sounding very formulaic, paint-by-numbers and though it's played well, it's very flat-sounding, without much passion or energy. I traded off my original copy fairly quickly, then gave it another shot years later when I did some CD-R trading, so I've given Sly more than enough tries and yet my nards still remain un-grabbed. Oh well. Back into the closet this one goes.

• My Little Pony
Sly - S/T (1994)

It's well known round these parts that I love vintage Loudness, so I was all over this release when it first came out in the 90s. It was hyped as the big return of vocalist Minoru Niihara, who'd been out of the scene for a few years after being replaced by Michael Vescera in Loudness. For whatever reason, though, Sly's debut never really grabbed me by the nards the way I'd hoped it would. The performances are decent, Minoru's voice was still in fine shape at this time (as opposed to his work on current Loudness material, where he sounds like he's simply screaming into a paper bag), and the tunes are solidly old school metal, which was a rarity in the marketplace in the mid-90's. Unfortunately, the album as a whole comes off as sounding very formulaic, paint-by-numbers and though it's played well, it's very flat-sounding, without much passion or energy. I traded off my original copy fairly quickly, then gave it another shot years later when I did some CD-R trading, so I've given Sly more than enough tries and yet my nards still remain un-grabbed. Oh well. Back into the closet this one goes.

"I Spend My Life Just Loving You" is enough for me to keep it in my library.

After a very interesting discussion with A quite often tone Deaf Aussie lad about Trixter, I decided to give their S/T a spin again to see if I was being unfair for berating and laughing at the poor deluded chap. Now I only have a cd-r of this alleged musical masterpiece, after I sold the original version and to my surprise (errr..not really) I was correct all along. It was as I remembered it to be - Complete and utter piss weak bollox. As from this afternoon, I no longer even have a cd-r copy of said 'Shitster - S/T'

After a very interesting discussion with A quite often tone Deaf Aussie lad about Trixter, I decided to give their S/T a spin again to see if I was being unfair for berating and laughing at the poor deluded chap. Now I only have a cd-r of this alleged musical masterpiece, after I sold the original version and to my surprise (errr..not really) I was correct all along. It was as I remembered it to be - Complete and utter piss weak bollox. As from this afternoon, I no longer even have a cd-r copy of said 'Shitster - S/T'

:lol: what a review !!

I guess there is no need for me to look around for this CD ?!?! ;)

:lol: what a review !!

I guess there is no need for me to look around for this CD ?!?! ;)

Believe me mate - stear well clear, You'll thank me. I can rescue the sorry item from the bin if you want it? :drink:

Sometimes this forum amuses me with comments I'd expect to see from poser heavy metal fans bollocking "hair metal" back in the Kerrang days. I do enjoy.

For the record, I never said Trixter's debut was a materpiece and in fact said nothing of giving that another go... but rather, their second far superior musical outing, 'Hear!'

That said, the debut is still a nice, criminally under-produced slab of commercial hard rock. For the record, here are my thoughts:

1. Line of Fire ; awful opener. I was very worried when I heard this for the first time as it is a dead-in-the-water opener.

2. Heart of Steel ; melodic hard rock bliss. Minus the poor production, I would put this song up with Tyketto's 'Wings' and 'Forever Young' in terms of song quality. Stunning track.

3. One in a Million ; melodic rock bliss. Perfect commercial rock track. Should have been a huge hit.

4. Surrender ; nice, if not a little whussy ballad. Still, good song.

5. Give It To Me Good ; crappy filler. Bad news.

6. Only Young Once ; cracking melodic hard rock. One of the gems on the disc.

7. Bad Girl ; a grower. Not a good song, but not too bad either. I can live with it, even if I often skip it. Good verses.

8. Always a Victim ; another cracking melodic hard rocker. This one is a gem along the lines of 'Only young once'. Killer songs.

9. Play Rough ; similar to 'Bad girl'. I do skip it, but if it does play through I don't mind it.

10. You'll Never See Me Cryin' ; Like the other two crackers, this is another. This, 'Only young once' and 'Always a victim' are monster tracks. Album makers, some might call them.

11. Ride the Whip ; useless, blatant filler.

12. On and On ; nice closing ballad. I actually really like this one, even in it's sappy glory.

The album's obvious faults are a few clear fillers and a really average/thin production job... but aside from that, Bernd, I would be amazed if you didn't appreciate this and especially 'Hear!'

Sometimes this forum amuses me with comments I'd expect to see from poser heavy metal fans bollocking "hair metal" back in the Kerrang days. I do enjoy.

For the record, I never said Trixter's debut was a materpiece and in fact said nothing of giving that another go... but rather, their second far superior musical outing, 'Hear!'

That said, the debut is still a nice, criminally under-produced slab of commercial hard rock. For the record, here are my thoughts:

1. Line of Fire ; awful opener. I was very worried when I heard this for the first time as it is a dead-in-the-water opener.

2. Heart of Steel ; melodic hard rock bliss. Minus the poor production, I would put this song up with Tyketto's 'Wings' and 'Forever Young' in terms of song quality. Stunning track.

3. One in a Million ; melodic rock bliss. Perfect commercial rock track. Should have been a huge hit.

7. Bad Girl ; a grower. Not a good song, but not too bad either. I can live with it, even if I often skip it. Good verses.

8. Always a Victim ; another cracking melodic hard rocker. This one is a gem along the lines of 'Only young once'. Killer songs.

9. Play Rough ; similar to 'Bad girl'. I do skip it, but if it does play through I don't mind it.

10. You'll Never See Me Cryin' ; Like the other two crackers, this is another. This, 'Only young once' and 'Always a victim' are monster tracks. Album makers, some might call them.

12. On and On ; nice closing ballad. I actually really like this one, even in it's sappy glory.

The album's obvious faults are a few clear fillers and a really average/thin production job... but aside from that, Bernd, I would be amazed if you didn't appreciate this and especially 'Hear!'

I still think it's a great Hair Metal/Melodic Rock cd.

This cd was one of many that made up the soundtrack to my sophmore year in high school.

And Geoff my fav track is "Play Rough". :tumbsup:

And "Give it to Me Good" is no way filler, I love it.

This cd was one of many that made up the soundtrack to my sophmore year in high school.

Yeah, maybe a little harsh on 'Play rough'. It's one of those songs that gets better with every listen. Everytime I hear it I think 'Wow, that's waaaay better than I remember.' Not a fan of 'Give it to me good' though. :)

Yeah, maybe a little harsh on 'Play rough'. It's one of those songs that gets better with every listen. Everytime I hear it I think 'Wow, that's waaaay better than I remember.' Not a fan of 'Give it to me good' though. :)

"Give it to Me Good" was the first video/single so that was their first song I heard so it'll always be one of my favs. Plus at the time I always thought PJ Farley's bass was cool with all of the band logos on it.

"Give it to Me Good" was the first video/single so that was their first song I heard so it'll always be one of my favs. Plus at the time I always thought PJ Farley's bass was cool with all of the band logos on it.

Yeah, I have that video on a 'Metal Vault' video or something. One of the most amazing decisions for a single I ever experienced. If you want my honest opinion, that's probably a HUGE reason why the band failed to make it. When you have songs like 'One in a million', 'Heart of Steel' or even one of the ballads - 'Surrender'... these three songs would have been sure-fire hits... surely. :lol: 'Give it to me good', imo, is a definite filler. I know you have sentimental attachments to it, but you'd have to admit that in the context of the whole disc it was a horrid single choice, yes?

Yeah, I have that video on a 'Metal Vault' video or something. One of the most amazing decisions for a single I ever experienced. If you want my honest opinion, that's probably a HUGE reason why the band failed to make it. When you have songs like 'One in a million', 'Heart of Steel' or even one of the ballads - 'Surrender'... these three songs would have been sure-fire hits... surely. :lol: 'Give it to me good', imo, is a definite filler. I know you have sentimental attachments to it, but you'd have to admit that in the context of the whole disc it was a horrid single choice, yes?

"One in a Million" was the 2nd single and got played quite a bit on MTV and then "Surrender" which should of been a huge hit came out and it did good but not great. They did a tour with the Scorpions plus some shows with Firehouse and Warrant. It sold more than 500,000 copies in the US(which is good for being on MCA records and for being their debut) but before the follow up came out it was to late with Grunge coming in.

Back in the early to mid 80's and beyond, those so called 'Poser Heavy Metal fans' (whatever the fuck one of those is) did have a fair point mate, as the 'Hair Metal' scene was awash with absolute crap bands amongst some good ones (as was some of the metal scene) although you would have still been in shorts at the time I guess. ;)

Back in the early to mid 80's and beyond, those so called 'Poser Heavy Metal fans' (whatever the fuck one of those is) did have a fair point mate, as the 'Hair Metal' scene was awash with absolute crap bands amongst some good ones (as was some of the metal scene) although you would have still been in shorts at the time I guess. ;)

:rofl2: Yes Sir Geoff was but a small lad back then...wait he still is... :lol:

• My Little Pony

:rofl2: Yes Sir Geoff was but a small lad back then...wait he still is... :lol:

Heh heh... that's funny.

I'm still a poser heavy metal fan, is that bad? :(

Not in my book. :wub:

I'm still a poser heavy metal fan, is that bad? :(

Not in my book. :wub:

Or a Poser EMO. :headbanger:

Now THAT I am not. <_<

No but we know someone who is!! :lol: