Give it another spin....

Journey - trial by fire ; what a waste. A strong starting set of tracks. If they'd kept this to a 10 track CD half would have been filler but it would have been a pretty good disc. As it is, there is just blatant slow, dreary filler after blatant slow, dreary filler. I don't know why they dragged this on for 14 songs. Overall, bad album.

That is the only Journey album I dont own and for good reason.

Id probably even rank 'Generations' above this.

As I said in another thread the Jap bonus song 'I Can See It In Your Eyes' absolutely kills any song on this album.

Even great groups have a turkey in their discography mate ;-))

'Message Of Love' is a brilliant track for starters, so I think the 'Turkey' comment is way off in this case mate. It's certainly not their best album, but it sure ain't half bad either.

OK, turkey may be a bit harsh.......but its a long long way off the quality of most of their other albums.......how's that?

There are some stunning solos on that album too - but yeah it's one I hardly every play...

In their defence - it's a bad album, but 'If he should break your heart' is the best song I have heard from Journey so far. I can say without a doubt that song alone has kept this CD in my collection far longer than it deserves. :)

probably another pretty lonely opinion there mate.............

Trial by fire is my fav journey disc. so neh! :P

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Journey - trial by fire ; what a waste. A strong starting set of tracks. If they'd kept this to a 10 track CD half would have been filler but it would have been a pretty good disc. As it is, there is just blatant slow, dreary filler after blatant slow, dreary filler. I don't know why they dragged this on for 14 songs. Overall, bad album.

As I said in another thread the Jap bonus song 'I Can See It In Your Eyes' absolutely kills any song on this album.

'Message Of Love' is a brilliant track for starters, so I think the 'Turkey' comment is way off in this case mate. It's certainly not their best album, but it sure ain't half bad either.

OK, turkey may be a bit harsh.......but its a long long way off the quality of most of their other albums.......how's that?

There are some stunning solos on that album too - but yeah it's one I hardly every play...

In their defence - it's a bad album, but 'If he should break your heart' is the best song I have heard from Journey so far. I can say without a doubt that song alone has kept this CD in my collection far longer than it deserves. :)

For what it`s worth, I really like this album too, some great songs but maybe a hint of blandness for the first time on a Journey album, well up to this point.

For what it`s worth, I really like this album too, some great songs but maybe a hint of blandness for the first time on a Journey album, well up to this point.

See I always assumed that all Steve Perry era Journey albums sounded the same. :whistle:

• 3 weeks later...

See I always assumed that all Steve Perry era Journey albums sounded the same. :whistle:

whats with that reggae song at the end???

MoonDoc = realm of legends

This should never have been under the name MoonDoc...they went from hard rock to power metal with a totally different lineup. This has sat on my trades list since the day i got it... even after listening to it alot. Giving it one last chance.. and its all ive listened to for 2 days! The solos are awesome, but this has finally clicked with me. Intense melodic metal.

Tigertailz - 'Bezerk 2.0' ; I heard this when it was released and was rather unimpressed. Still, impressed enough to pick it up recently when I saw it cheap (can't remember if it was Amazon). Anyway, spun it again over the weekend and I seriously like this. Played back to back with 'Wazbones', I dare say I might even prefer this. My only issue with 'Wazbones' is the vocals are so low in the mix (which, despite the awful voice is still a concern) and my only issue with this CD is that the drums are a little soft in the mix. It's not as good as the original 'Bezerk' but good on them for a very, very good effort. Good album.

• 4 weeks later...

I-Ten - 'Taking a cold look'

I heard the MP3s of this back in 2005 but to be honest I haven't really heard it since. But it must have gone alright because when it popped up on Jez's trade list I thought why not? And I'm glad I did. I seriously struggle to call this an actual "rock" CD but that's beside the point. Good music is good music and it's just good, nice tunes. Each track has that corny 80's sound, but this stuff really works alright for me in the right mood. And that was yesterday. I enjoyed the whole thing. Highlights are the first 3 songs and 'I Don't Want to Lose You', but all were good. This doesn't give me a desperate urge to seek out every CD that sounds like this, and I think I can safely say it's the softest CD in my collection, but it is great for what it is.

I-Ten - 'Taking a cold look'

I heard the MP3s of this back in 2005 but to be honest I haven't really heard it since. But it must have gone alright because when it popped up on Jez's trade list I thought why not? And I'm glad I did. I seriously struggle to call this an actual "rock" CD but that's beside the point. Good music is good music and it's just good, nice tunes. Each track has that corny 80's sound, but this stuff really works alright for me in the right mood. And that was yesterday. I enjoyed the whole thing. Highlights are the first 3 songs and 'I Don't Want to Lose You', but all were good. This doesn't give me a desperate urge to seek out every CD that sounds like this, and I think I can safely say it's the softest CD in my collection, but it is great for what it is.

This is about as near to the pure 80's AOR/Westcoast sound that you are gonna get with some of the best session players of the genre and it does sound like Toto (hardly surprising as Lukather, Paich and Porcaro stamp their mark all over it) Chicago and a myriad of others. - 'Pressing My Luck' is a deadringer for Richard Marx aswell. I wouldn't consider i-Ten a 'Classic' and a 'Masterpiece' as I know other people do, and I actually much prefer Heart's version of 'Alone' and Honeymoon Suites 'Taking A Cold Look' to the original versions, but it is a fine fine album all the same

I actually much prefer Heart's version of 'Alone' and Honeymoon Suites 'Taking A Cold Look' to the original versions, but it is a fine fine album all the same

Yep, backed 100%. I do like the I-Ten versions of both, but the other two kill them. Especially Heart's version of 'Alone'. When I hear the I-Ten version I just want it to explode like Heart's version does. Either way, still two cool songs.

As for the session players - yeah, that list was freakin' huge!! Don't know who most of them are, but it was huge. :lol:

I actually much prefer Heart's version of 'Alone' and Honeymoon Suites 'Taking A Cold Look' to the original versions, but it is a fine fine album all the same

Yep, backed 100%. I do like the I-Ten versions of both, but the other two kill them. Especially Heart's version of 'Alone'. When I hear the I-Ten version I just want it to explode like Heart's version does. Either way, still two cool songs.

As for the session players - yeah, that list was freakin' huge!! Don't know who most of them are, but it was huge. :lol:

I must be alone in actually preferring the I-Ten version of 'Alone'. Those guitar tones/solos just sound so classic.

I love this album. One album which really deserves the 'classic' tag.

Another CLASSIC song which no-one seems to ever mention is 'Time To Say Goodbye'.....i LOVE that track.

Mine is Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast.

Please don't hang me HH'ers that I didn't like the album right off. I first heard the album in college from my roommate. I liked The Prisoner and Number Of The Beast. Then years later I worked with a guy who loved IM, I think he had all the CDs except for a few. I would also see IM on YouTube and say, "that's a pretty good song", say to myself I wish I had it, look on The Number album and there it would be.

Please don't hang me HH'ers that I didn't like the album right off. I first heard the album in college from my roommate. I liked The Prisoner and Number Of The Beast. Then years later I worked with a guy who loved IM, I think he had all the CDs except for a few. I would also see IM on YouTube and say, "that's a pretty good song", say to myself I wish I had it, look on The Number album and there it would be.

One of my fav albums of all time.

Although I didn't hear it for the first time until years later and I didn't like IM upon first listen when I was getting into hard rock and metal when I first heard 'Somewhere in Time'. Now Maiden is probably my fav band of all time along with Kiss and Dio.

One of my fav albums of all time.

Although I didn't hear it for the first time until years later and I didn't like IM upon first listen when I was getting into hard rock and metal when I first heard 'Somewhere in Time'. Now Maiden is probably my fav band of all time along with Kiss and Dio.

Backed that album would easily make my all time top 10. Almost defines 'classic'. Bought it on day one. loved it on day one. and still play it now.

:bowdown:

• 3 months later...

Just dug a few CDs out of the dusty corners of my shelves to see whether they deserve to stay or not. Here's a few thoughts:

Sister Whiskey - 'Liqour & Poker' ; Man this CD is dodgy. The actual chorus hooks are really not that bad at all. The sloppy, bluesy mess of the verses absolutely kills this CD, but the choruses leave me wondering if these guys did once play straight ahead hard rock with anthemic choruses. It's honestly not a total loss, but the verses are just generally so poor and droopy. I'd love to know if it was a communal decision by all members of the band to do this bluesy route.

Slammin' Gladys - s/t ; Another CD which is just best described as sloppy. The two ballads (both co-written by Jani Lane) are the only saving grace on this mess. Both songs are pretty good but the rest just sounds like demos most the time. The cover of 'Piece of my heart' is just embarrassing.

Sleazy - 'Big A...' ; This CD isn't terrible, but when the opening track called 'On my knees' clocks in at 5:49min with the weakest, most repetitive chorus on the whole CD it just completely kills it for you. Sadly after that it doesn't really get much better at all. I hear their debut is meant to be good, but there is no evidence of a decent hook or chorus here so I hope someone else wrote the songs on that debut.

Sonic X - s/t ; Man, what a great disc. I felt embarrassed and ill in the face to be spinning this with the possibility of putting it on my trade list. Really good album, this one.

Speed - 'One' ; Man does this one play tricks on you. Reminds me a lot of Velocity in places. Halfway through it was a sure thing to be on my next trade list with filler after filler. But then it finally kicks in at the end. 'Memories' is especially good.

St Elmo's Fire - 'Desperate Years' ; Another one that deserves no place near a trade list. I'm actually grateful that I considered it so I got to spin it again. There's some very cool stuff on this. Particularly love 'Michelle'.

Big House - S/T

Bought it for Dollar In My Pocket and couldn't get passed that song without getting bored. Listening to it again, the album is better than I remember and I'm quite liking L.A., Can't Cry No More and Angel On My Arm (especially that bridge/middle eight/whatever). There's a couple of other passable tracks like All Nite and the ballad Baby Doll. Overall, I think it's a fairly average album but it has piqued my interest again so I don't think I'll get rid of it.

Big House - S/T

Bought it for Dollar In My Pocket and couldn't get passed that song without getting bored. Listening to it again, the album is better than I remember and I'm quite liking L.A., Can't Cry No More and Angel On My Arm (especially that bridge/middle eight/whatever). There's a couple of other passable tracks like All Nite and the ballad Baby Doll. Overall, I think it's a fairly average album but it has piqued my interest again so I don't think I'll get rid of it.

Really? You don't like 'Baby Doll'? I love that song. I actually really enjoy this CD. As you say, it's pretty average I guess but it has three total killers imo, 'Dollar in my pocket', 'Baby Doll' and the brilliant 'LA'... but overall I enjoy most of the CD. :)

Big House - S/T

Really? You don't like 'Baby Doll'? I love that song. I actually really enjoy this CD. As you say, it's pretty average I guess but it has three total killers imo, 'Dollar in my pocket', 'Baby Doll' and the brilliant 'LA'... but overall I enjoy most of the CD. :)

I think All Nigt and Baby Doll were my two favs off that one. I used to play the heck out this back in the day on cassette but for some reason have never gotten around to upgrading to cd.

Big House - S/T

I think All Night and Baby Doll were my two favs off that one. I used to play the heck out this back in the day on cassette but for some reason have never gotten around to upgrading to cd.

Baby Doll is growing on me slowly, but I dunno it just hasn't grabbed me.

• 3 weeks later...

Wig Wam - Non Stop Rock N Roll

My first spin of this disc left me a little underwhelmed. Nothing horrible but when compared the greatness of their first two discs(especially the awesome Wig Wamania) it just paled in comparison. Well after many spins since I have to say that I spoke to soon. Sure it's probably their worst cd but when I consider how great the first two are that's not exactly fair. This disc is full of great songs that somehow I overlooked on the first spin(maybe I just wasn't in the mood the first time) and now I love this disc. Fav tunes so far are "Walls Come Down", "Wild One", "C'mon Everybody", "Man in the Moon" and "Still I'm Burning" but there really insn't any tunes I dislike.

Soul Sirkus - World Play

I had mp3's of these tunes for years and finally got around to picking this up. I never understood why this caused so much commotion in the melodic rock community as I think it's damn good. Sure they didn't do the AOR by numbers that some had hoped for and went in a more experimental direction but I think that's one of the reasons I like it. Yes there are some filler tracks such as the "James Brown", "Soulspace" and "My Love My Friend" but there's some killer songs like "New Position", "Coming Home", "My Sanctuary", "Peephole", "Another World", "Soul Goes On", "Close the Door", "Alive", "Periled Divide" and "Highest Ground". I for one would love Neal and JSS to record again but after the Journey debacle I doubt that would ever happen. I also need to mention how great the rythmn section sounds with Marc Mendoza and Virgil Donati(I have the yellow disc with DVD not the orginal with Castronova on drums).

My first spin of this disc left me a little underwhelmed. Nothing horrible but when compared the greatness of their first two discs(especially the awesome Wig Wamania) it just paled in comparison. Well after many spins since I have to say that I spoke to soon. Sure it's probably their worst cd but when I consider how great the first two are that's not exactly fair. This disc is full of great songs that somehow I overlooked on the first spin(maybe I just wasn't in the mood the first time) and now I love this disc. Fav tunes so far are "Walls Come Down", "Wild One", "C'mon Everybody", "Man in the Moon" and "Still I'm Burning" but there really insn't any tunes I dislike.

Yeah, I'll chime in on that to a degree. I think it's probably just because it followed up 'Wig Wamania', which could not possibly have been topped. But having spun them all again, there's a few fillers on the debut too so it's not like this new CD is the first time they ever recorded a filler. And that's where I do disagree with you, Wes - I still hate some of the songs on the new CD. There are at least 4 blatant fillers, the worst they have recorded. 'C'mon Everybody', 'Chasing Rainbows', and 'Gotta Get It On' are really dreadful, imo. Ballads are still weak as piss too, but the rest is good fun as well as the few absolute killers on it. Plus the production job is great. So yeah, it's good enough stuff.

Yeah, I'll chime in on that to a degree. I think it's probably just because it followed up 'Wig Wamania', which could not possibly have been topped. But having spun them all again, there's a few fillers on the debut too so it's not like this new CD is the first time they ever recorded a filler. And that's where I do disagree with you, Wes - I still hate some of the songs on the new CD. There are at least 4 blatant fillers, the worst they have recorded. 'C'mon Everybody', 'Chasing Rainbows', and 'Gotta Get It On' are really dreadful, imo. Ballads are still weak as piss too, but the rest is good fun as well as the few absolute killers on it. Plus the production job is great. So yeah, it's good enough stuff.

Yeah I'll agree there's a few fillers but there's not any tunes I don't like and it's a much better disc then I gave it credit for the first time around, which is I guess the point of my original post.

Yeah I'll agree there's a few fillers but there's not any tunes I don't like and it's a much better disc then I gave it credit for the first time around, which is I guess the point of my original post.

:lol: Yeah, I seemed to lose my point in my post, but I do agree. I was listening to it yesterday and it is a lot better than I originally thought and I do enjoy most the songs bar the 3 or 4 true shockers.

Soul Sirkus - World Play

I had mp3's of these tunes for years and finally got around to picking this up. I never understood why this caused so much commotion in the melodic rock community as I think it's damn good. Sure they didn't do the AOR by numbers that some had hoped for and went in a more experimental direction but I think that's one of the reasons I like it. Yes there are some filler tracks such as the "James Brown", "Soulspace" and "My Love My Friend" but there's some killer songs like "New Position", "Coming Home", "My Sanctuary", "Peephole", "Another World", "Soul Goes On", "Close the Door", "Alive", "Periled Divide" and "Highest Ground". I for one would love Neal and JSS to record again but after the Journey debacle I doubt that would ever happen. I also need to mention how great the rythmn section sounds with Marc Mendoza and Virgil Donati(I have the yellow disc with DVD not the orginal with Castronova on drums).

Backed...I love that album...and I must spin it again soon.

Also one of the best gigs ive ever seen. Schon's playing on that album is pretty awesome and i was stood about 10 feet away from him. :bowdown:

Soul Sirkus - World Play

Backed...I love that album...and I must spin it again soon.

Also one of the best gigs ive ever seen. Schon's playing on that album is pretty awesome and i was stood about 10 feet away from him. :bowdown:

I had read that they were great live. To bad they'll never be again.

• 2 months later...

This thread is dying a slow death...............

Primal Fear - 16.6

This was okay after the first few spins but I put it away dreaming of the early days of Primal Fear when they didn't have any symphonic tendencies. Well after giving this a fresh spin after about a year I have to say it's much better than I remember. I had remembered liking it but not loving it but thinking it was a little to long. The version I have has the two bonus tracks(Scream and Cry Havoc) and those two songs should of been on the regular release IMO as their better than a few of the other tunes. This disc is still one of my least fav PF discs but there is a handful of old school type PF songs(Riding the Eagle, Six Times Dead, Killbound, Smith and Wesson and No Smoke Without Fire) and there's so more melodic stuff mixed in as well(Black Rain, Under the Radar and Hands of Time). This has went from just good to really good but still not great like the awesome Nuclear Fire and Jaws of Death or even Seven Seals or Black Sun. :headbanger: