Poll for HH members

Should Lorraine be silver-pressed?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Retrospect Records is on the verge of releasing the Lorraine cd (formerly known as the bootleg 'Boys Nite Out' - and fetching prices over $600 on ebay). It will be titled "Wanted" and will be a very nice looking package. If you think this disc will sell a nice chunk of units then select 'yes'. If you think it will sell less than 500 units , select 'no'.

I am leaning towards a silver-pressing as it is an awesome cd.

Just wondered what your thoughts were....

P.S. If you like LORRAINE then you should check out the BRONX 'Down n Dirty' CD we released last year as it features the same guitarist / songwriter.

I know most here will want it silver-pressed.... but I'm not sure that it would be the best move from an economical standpoint. I think it might be tough to move over 500 of them.

I had to vote "NO".

I couldn't vote because I have literally no idea in the world about any sales statistics these days, but my gut instinct agrees with Dave. 500 copies is a lot to sell for something this obscure let alone 1000 copies.

I voted yes based just on the fact that you will lose some sales if the cd is not pressed silver. In a perfect world you should be able to press any amount silver. It would solve a lot of problems...

JL

press 500 & see how it goes. Hardly anybody knows the band Lorraine imho. The band will sell whene eventually everyone finds out about them.

I can't speak for Sam, since I don't know who he uses for replication, but when I've gone out for bids on CD replication, you save virtually NOTHING by pressing 500 instead of 1,000. While some replicators may have a 500 minimum, they really want to encourage you to do 1,000+. You might pay $1,200 to press 500 discs, and $1,300 to press 1,000 discs. The extra 500 discs are costing you $0.20 per unit (plus shipping).

I honestly think that 1,000 units is a stretch for this title. I think 500 is doable, *IF* the discs are made available to other retailers and wholesalers, but I know Sam has been reluctant to do this on many of his titles. Sam, where do you stand on this issue these days? For some of your titles it could make the difference on whether or not you replicate or duplicate...

-Dan

I have a tough time picturing Lorraine selling 500 copies, let alone 1000. Maybe I'm wrong (and please, somebody correct me if I am), but I could have sworn I read a few years back that the top names in melodic hard rock (Harem Scarem, Jaded Heart, etc.) were happy if they could sell 5000 copies, with most other bands in the genre lucky to move half that. If that is true (and again, I may be totally misinformed), then it seems illogical to expect an obscure piece like Lorraine to sell 1000 units. So, obviously, I voted no.

thanks for your input here. I will wholesale to mostly anywhere now - with the exception of the majority of U.S.-based distributors. I just did a deal with about a dozen distributors in various parts of the world. I am very happy with the new company manufacturing my discs....I think they look more professional and are as close to silver as duplicating is going to be. It's a huge difference in investment. 100 titles for $300 or 1,000 for $1300. Doesn't sound like much difference right? Well , it is when you are releasing as much product as R.R. is.

I can tell you that bands like L.A. Guns , XYZ and the like are lucky to move 2,000 to 5,000 units in today's market. So to sell 500 of a really obscure band is quite a feat.

I'll make my decision shortly.

From my perspective silver pressings are easier to move than cd-r's even if they are directly from the band...I voted yes as I know I could sell 100 silver pressed cd's myself,...so all sam would have to do is move 900...lol...have you all heard this cd? it is killer in my opinion...seriously though, all by my little self I have sold over 100 sister sky cd's, probably 50 uncle sam , 30 de ja vu , 75 mae west , 30 sacked out sherry , 50 street wise , 50 Shotz, 40 Gun Hill Road, 30 Wildside - sheet music, 25 Tambora, 25 snakepit, and probably others I cannot even think of right now, that is not counting all the singles I find , but I always sell out of my stock, now my stock are originals not reissues, but the Lorraine cd is virtually non existant other than the few that were pressed, (yes I have one in my collection), and keep in mind I don't sell my cd's for $15, my stuff is usually the last a band has in stock so I usually move them for $30 and up to as much as $400 depending on the scarcity of a particular release, ....but I ALWAYS sell out eventually....the total above is 500+ cd's I have sold just in my little part of the selling world, now I did not sell these over night but I think it is very possible to sell 1000, 500 to me would not even be a question....especially if you are sending bunches to other online distributers, that is my take on it.....Michael

It's a huge difference in investment. 100 titles for $300 or 1,000 for $1300. Doesn't sound like much difference right?

Yeah, but at retail price of $12.99 you need to sell only 100 CDs to completely offset the production cost for replicating, and still will have 900 CDs left to make profit from. While on duplicating you have to sell 1/4 of the entire run to cover the production cost alone.

This is very crude calculation without considering any other costs and expenses of course, but still I think replication is the correct option for any title with a potential of selling over 200 CDs (Lorraine can easily fall into this category with some promotion).

All good points...from a buyer stand point (that's me), if the cd is silver pressed I am buying...if it's not, I won't.

I hope to someday see everything RR does is silver!

JL

I own the above mention cd its is as I guess everybody says its a bootleg (a good quality one) I vote for silver press because I collect cds and the only cdrs in my collection are band released and coming from sam it would not be band release so I wont buy it if its not silver in my decision so go silver sam and I'll buy on go cdr and I wont thank you

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.