1990 - best albums

Glen

A bit too high maybe on your first couple of spins mate, I think a reasonable score probably should fall around 85%

Nay, buddy. I would have never posted a full rating, if I wasn't sure. Having typed that, I acknowledge the fact that my ratings for tracks 6-7 are subject to change. In my observation list a rating of [7,75-8] means to reconsider the track again by repeated listenings for reassessment. Tracks with ratings ≥8 are seven keys' keepers for future listenings, playlists, anthologies/compilations, references etc.

Are you sure you aren't letting subconscious reasons keeping you under-valuating it? ;)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the correct rating ;-)

1. One Step - 7.5

2. We are the Young - 8

3. Dorianna - 9.5

4. Is it Love - 10

5. Heart of America - 8 (terrible lyrics keep this score down)

6. Main Attraction - 9

7. Doin Time - 6

8. I'll Be There - 6.5

9. Break Down - 8

Overall 80.5%

Still a very good album, and worth having just for tracks 3 & 4 which are both killer melodic rock gems.

1. One Step - 7.5

2. We are the Young - 8

3. Dorianna - 9.5

4. Is it Love - 10

6. Main Attraction - 9

7. Doin Time - 6

8. I'll Be There - 6.5

9. Break Down - 8

Overall 80.5%

Still a very good album, and worth having just for tracks 3 & 4 which are both killer melodic rock gems.

I don't see major differences here, except I'll be there-which is a major Foreigner-y track for me. I always imagine, when not the case, myself in a pool with a pink champagne etc etc etc.

1. One Step - 7.5

2. We are the Young - 8

3. Dorianna - 9.5

4. Is it Love - 10

6. Main Attraction - 9

7. Doin Time - 6

8. I'll Be There - 6.5

9. Break Down - 8

Overall 80.5%

I don't see major differences here, except I'll be there-which is a major Foreigner-y track for me. I always imagine, when not the case, myself in a pool with a pink champagne etc etc etc.

no, no real major differences but just a fairer score, given its a really good album but does have its weaker moments......

also suffers a tad from being just 9 songs - one killer to round if off would have been nice.

• My Little Pony

1. One Step - 7.5

2. We are the Young - 8

3. Dorianna - 9.5

4. Is it Love - 10

6. Main Attraction - 9

7. Doin Time - 6

8. I'll Be There - 6.5

9. Break Down - 8

Overall 80.5%

no, no real major differences but just a fairer score, given its a really good album but does have its weaker moments......

also suffers a tad from being just 9 songs - one killer to round if off would have been nice.

So... songs rated 9-10 aren't killer?

Okay, up to me (again) to display the correct rating for this one. ;)

1. One Step Over the Line - 7.5
2. We Are the Young - 9.5
3. Dorianna - 10
4. Is It Love - 9.25
5. Heart of America - 9.75
6. Main Attraction - 7.5
7. Doin' Time - 7
8. I'll Be There - 8.25
9. Break Down the Barricades - 7.5
Total- 85%
And Karpetface, I think Glen meant he wanted one more killer tune towards the end of the album, to round it off. And it's a fair point, considering most the album's weakest songs are all on the back end. It needs a song 10; a monster song.

I struggled with Paul Laine.

Tracks 2-6 are excellent.

Tracks 7 & 8 are average

Then we have the lead track - starts out great but is almost ruined by a bizarre mid song instru break...WTF?!

Final verdict

80.5 %

Don't often agree with Glen, but have to do just that on two counts in this thread. One, "Blackout In The Red Room" is a cracking album. Defintely way more than two great songs. (Although Geoff is bang on about the best ones - title track and "Straightjacket".) Two, I don't get the fuss about the Paul Laine album. Pretty average imo.

• 3 weeks later...

some updates on 1990

STRYPER Against The Law Hard Rock Hollywood 88.2%
PAUL LAINE Stick It In Your Ear Melodic Rock Elektra 86.5%
ATROPHY Violent By Nature Thrash Metal Roadracer 82.5%
JOKER s/t Hard Rock Red Light 82.1%
REO SPEEDWAGON The Earth, A Small Man, His Dog, And A Chicken AOR CBS 80.7%
TIGERTAILZ Bezerk! Sleaze / Hard Rock Music For Nations 79.8%
KILLER DWARFS Dirty Weapons Hard Rock Epic 79.8%
GYPSY ROSE (CAN) Prey Hard Rock BMG 78.1%
BEGGARS AND THIEVES s/t Hard Rock Atlantic 77.5%
BRASS KITTEN E-Z N' Pretty Sleaze / Hard Rock Emerald 76.3%
DESTRUCTION Cracked Brain Thrash Metal SPV 75.8%

My rating -

1. No More 9.25

2. Billy 9

3. Waitin 8.5

4. Your Love 8.25

5. Isn't it Easy 9.5

6. Let's Get 9

7. H&H 9.25

8. Love Junkie 8.75

9. Kill Me 9.5

10. Love's a Bitch 9

11. B&T 10

Overall 90.9%

Oh really ????

I love that album. What dragged the score down??

some updates on 1990

Nightrain is actually right this time (for once). I rated this one 77% too. A very solid, but extremely unspectacular album.

Actually, amazingly, I rated the Joker album 82% too. Killer Dwarfs 80% as well. Brass Kitten I had at 74%, which is wicked close too. Congrats, Nightrain, the only one of those few you got completely wrong was Gypsy Rose. That one was correctly rated by me @ 88%. ;)

some updates on 1990

Seriously, bro? I never thought that you're a Stryper revisionist. :tumbsup:

Here's the objective Brahman Vedas: ;)

Stryper- Against The Law
Against the Law 70
Two Time Woman 80
Rock the People 60
Two Bodies 75
Not That Kind of Guy 65
Shining Star (Earth, Wind & Fire cover)
Ordinary Man 60
Lady 79
Caught in the Middle 100
All for One 88
Rock the Hell Out of You 81
76,25%

some updates on 1990

Seriously, bro? I never thought that you're a Stryper revisionist. :tumbsup:

Here's the objective Brahman Vedas: ;)

Stryper- Against The Law
Against the Law 70
Two Time Woman 80
Rock the People 60
Two Bodies 75
Not That Kind of Guy 65
Shining Star (Earth, Wind & Fire cover)
Ordinary Man 60
Lady 79
Caught in the Middle 100
All for One 88
Rock the Hell Out of You 81
76,25%

I didn't even realise that as I haven't rated Stryper yet, but now that you mention it, that is craziness, to suggest that Stryper is the best of that lot. It's a very good CD, but there's no doubt at all that the Paul Laine and Gypsy Rose albums are far better. It is probably the 3rd best in the lot, to be fair, but not the best, imo. There are a solid handful of fillers on it, to get to an 88% score ('Rock the People,' 'Not that kind of guy,' 'Shining star,' 'Ordinary man' and 'Rock the hell out of you' are all pretty weak. Thankfully, the rest is outstanding).

'Lady' would be my favourite tune on it, followed by 'Two time woman,' 'All for one' and 'Caught in the middle.'

Anyway, a few of my recent 1990 ratings:

Lynch Mob - Wicked Sensation - 83
Laos - We Want It - 83
Mariah - Mariah - 82
Love/Hate - Blackout In The Red Room - 79
Lovetrick - Lovetrick - 79
Magnum - Goodnight L.A. - 79
Legs Diamond - Town Bad Girl - 77
Yngwie Malmsteen - Eclipse - 74
Manila Thrills - Tomorrow's Waiting - 72
Mastedon - Lodcaudio - 72
Lawdy - Outlaw Invasion - 69
Luv Hunter - Luv Hunter - 69

Oh really ????

I love that album. What dragged the score down??

some updates on 1990

Nightrain is actually right this time (for once). I rated this one 77% too. A very solid, but extremely unspectacular album.

Actually, amazingly, I rated the Joker album 82% too. Killer Dwarfs 80% as well. Brass Kitten I had at 74%, which is wicked close too. Congrats, Nightrain, the only one of those few you got completely wrong was Gypsy Rose. That one was correctly rated by me @ 88%. ;)

There is nothing unspectacular about it. Its a great album and super consistent as well.

I loved seeing the band at Firefest as well - after all those years they did themselves proud and were one of the few who really lived up to their past capabilities as a band.

I think 90% for Beggars is way too high Glen but probably you're a fan of the band so no complaint, but perhaps a 83-85% might be reasonable. I think the s/t is their best and I've sold all their other albums and only keep that one but I intend to get rid of it too later when my rack is full :D

as for Stryper ATL, I think my rating is higher than most of you because it's one of the albums that I played a lot during my teenage years so it holds a special place for me and here's my rating

1. Against the Law - 9
2. Two Time Woman - 9
3. Rock the People - 7.25
4. Two Bodies - 8.5
5. Not That Kind of Guy - 8
6. Shining Star [cover] - 8
7. Ordinary Man - 7.5
8. Lady - 10
9. Caught in the Middle - 9.5
10. All for One - 9.5
11. Rock the Hell Out of You - 8.75

prods - 10
skill - 10
replay - 8.5

total = 12350 / 14 = 88.21%

i love the groove, the diversity, the heaviness, also topped with wonderful production and perfect musicianship, both definitely deserved that 10 mark and I will admit on two weaker 7/10 tracks but the cover is quite enjoyable for me. 'Lady' is just fantastic and overall a strong album !

as for Gypsy Rose, a bit too Bon Jovi don't you think ? a 10% swing is a bit surprising but I'm happy with my score and I didn't spin it too often so I guess that score is justified :D

as for Gypsy Rose, a bit too Bon Jovi don't you think ?

At times it is, yes. But what's wrong with that? And the times when it doesn't sound much like Bon Jovi (such as 'Borderline') are brilliant.

as for Gypsy Rose, a bit too Bon Jovi don't you think ?

At times it is, yes. But what's wrong with that? And the times when it doesn't sound much like Bon Jovi (such as 'Borderline') are brilliant.

Ha, I just don't believe it! I didn't know 'bout this band at all. But I've learned about them from the main site, when I started to assess 90's releases( and finally ending assessing my whole collection+ everything else I could listen to). Then I found a really cheap copy from discogs so I thought to assess it (+ reassess) before other releases I actually have, in order to get it cheap, if good.

Well, I've ordered it! :tumbsup:

It doesn't have the killer 95-100 track(minus the opener most probably) but the rest tracks of it are ultra cool (with the regular BV touches-nothing wrong) except one boring mid tempo track.

As soon as I get the cd in my hands, I'll pass it through the stereo system test and post my final rates.

Geoff, how did you score Wicked Sensation in the 80s? Wow, what there's like 3 really good songs (Wicked Sensation, River of Love & No Bed of Roses) and that's it. It's one of those CDs you want to love because well it's Lynch before he was a tosser, it was cool, cover was great, stellar beginning but geez it's a loooooong wait from River of Love through to Bed of Roses and then a woeful finish.

How did you rate the second one? Strange as I really wanted to not like the second but the songs are just so more consistent. No real highlights like those 3 tracks from Wicked but a much more pleasurable ride!

Nothing's wrong with that but they're really on the border of being copycat I guess and there are few bunch of weak tunes such as 'Crawlin', 'Blood n sweat', 'shiver then shake', and kouros is correct, I guess 2 tracks that's worth the 9/10-and-more are 'Poisoned By Love' and 'Borderline', the rest mostly around 7 and 8.

Geoff, how did you score Wicked Sensation in the 80s? Wow, what there's like 3 really good songs (Wicked Sensation, River of Love & No Bed of Roses) and that's it. It's one of those CDs you want to love because well it's Lynch before he was a tosser, it was cool, cover was great, stellar beginning but geez it's a loooooong wait from River of Love through to Bed of Roses and then a woeful finish.

How did you rate the second one? Strange as I really wanted to not like the second but the songs are just so more consistent. No real highlights like those 3 tracks from Wicked but a much more pleasurable ride!

Regarding 'Wicked', I agree too many average and weaker tunes here except those three you mentioned and I also like 'Sweet Sister Mercy'. I haven't rated the second one but from what I remember, it is the stronger album and definitely the best of their entire career. I gave Wicked a good 75% and perhaps the second one should be above 80% but I'll come back to it later

Well dudes, here's how I rated the two Lynch Mob albums. There are definitely a few weaker songs on the albums, but I love the sound/style, vocalists and guitars on both albums, which kind of makes the weaker songs still pretty worthwhile. But anyway, my ratings;

Wicked Sensation

1. Wicked Sensation - 8.5

2. River of Love - 9

3. Sweet Sister Mercy - 9.5

4. All I Want - 8

5. Hell Child - 8.25

6. She's Evil But She's Mine - 7

7. Dance of the Dogs - 7

8. Rain - 7.25

9. No Bed of Roses - 10

10. Through These Eyes - 10

11. For a Million Years - 7.75

12. Street Fighting Man - 7

Total - 83%

Lynch Mob

1. Jungle of Love - 7.5

2. Tangled in the Web - 7

3. No Good - 9

4. Dream Until Tomorrow - 9.5

5. Cold Is the Heart - 7.5

6. Tie Your Mother Down - 7.25

7. Heaven Is Waiting - 8

8. I Want It - 8

9. When Darkness Calls - 8.5

10. The Secret - 8

Total - 80%

I gave Wicked Sensation 78%

There are 5 great songs on that imo - the first 3, plus tracks 9 & 10.

It suffers badly in the middle (tracks 6,7,8 in particular) which is a bit of a let down after the strong start

I gave Wicked Sensation 78%

There are 5 great songs on that imo - the first 3, plus tracks 9 & 10.

It suffers badly in the middle (tracks 6,7,8 in particular) which is a bit of a let down after the strong start

Yeah, 'All I want' and 'Hell Child' are definitely not that bad at all. I agree, as per my ratings, they're not the calibre of the other 5 songs, but they are cool tunes.

• 2 months later...

some updates on 1990

JIM JIDHED Jim AOR NL Distribution 87.7%
IRON MAIDEN No Prayer For The Dying Heavy Metal EMI 87.1%
HEART Brigade AOR EMI 86.7%
VALENTINE s/t AOR Giant 86.3%
JULLIET s/t Hard Rock Enigma 85.0%
ARTILLERY By Inheritance Thrash Metal Metal Mind 82.9%
HERICANE ALICE Tear The House Down Sleaze / Hard Rock Atlantic 82.1%
GUARDIAN Fire and Love Hard Rock Pakadem 80.4%
VIO-LENCE Oppressing The Masses Thrash Metal Atlantic 78.6%
DEATH ANGEL Act III Thrash Metal Geffen 77.5%
EVERY MOTHER'S NIGHTMARE s/t Sleaze / Hard Rock Arista 75.6%
TSOL Strange Love Sleaze / Hard Rock Enigma 74.1%
SECRECY Art In Motion Prog Metal Noise 68.5%
SACRED REICH The American Way Thrash Metal Enigma 66.6%
GOWAN Lost Brotherhood AOR Atlantic 65.8%

never a truer paragraph was written ;-)