Danger Danger vs Danger Danger

which song is better?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Slipped Her the Big One

Horny S.O.B.

Yeah, You Want It!

and I HATE instrumental pieces

I can't agree on the first two as they rock big time. I hate Yeah you Want It and skip it every time. I am also not a big instrumental fan but I love Andy's solo on there.

Backed, I'd take Slipped & Horny SOB over the 2 decent but slightly average 'Comin Home' and 'Find Your Way Back Home'.

Having said that I think everyone will be agreement with 'Yeah, You Want It'.........one of the biggest steaming pieces of shit Ive ever heard.

Mind you Ted redeemed himself with the lead off track on 'Collateral' ;-)

Id probably give 'Screw It' about 85%. Still rate the debut a little higher.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slipped Her the Big One

Horny S.O.B.

Yeah, You Want It!

I can't agree on the first two as they rock big time. I hate Yeah you Want It and skip it every time. I am also not a big instrumental fan but I love Andy's solo on there.

Backed, I'd take Slipped & Horny SOB over the 2 decent but slightly average 'Comin Home' and 'Find Your Way Back Home'.

Having said that I think everyone will be agreement with 'Yeah, You Want It'.........one of the biggest steaming pieces of shit Ive ever heard.

Mind you Ted redeemed himself with the lead off track on 'Collateral' ;-)

Id probably give 'Screw It' about 85%. Still rate the debut a little higher.

For me the debut is pretty close to a 100% album, full of fantastic, memorable rock songs. 'Screw It' would be 5/10, purely for 'Beat the Bullet' and the Donnie Vie impersonation (?) in 'Yeah, You Want It'. (BTW - agree that Ted's track with the same name was an aboslute belter!)

I actually really like Yeah you want it, especially the spot on Chip Z'Nuff impression.

In fact, I cant think of a song on that album that I dont like.

I've said it before, but Screw it was their finest work and everything else they have done pales in comparison (and they have done some really great songs and albums other than Screw it).

Slipped Her the Big One

Horny S.O.B.

Yeah, You Want It!

Even at the age of 19 or so when I got this I just felt those were too cheesy in the lyrics for the music to over come but that is just me.

I actually really like Yeah you want it, especially the spot on Chip Z'Nuff impression.

I've said it before, but Screw it was their finest work and everything else they have done pales in comparison (and they have done some really great songs and albums other than Screw it).

Chip Z'Nuff impression? Which bit is that?

Big fan of 'Yeah you want it' too. Not saying it'd ever be on a best of or anything, and I know it's "technically" a dreadful song. But taken as the joke track it obviously is, I like it and I never skip it. Still brings a smile to my face; 'I see you lookin' at me from across the room, wich your backstage pass from a roadie you blew' - absolutely timeless.

As for 'Slipped her the big one' - No you did not! That is one of my all-time faves. Not just from Danger Danger, but everyone. Seriously one of my favourite songs ever. Even my bro's dig that one (because I used to play the hell out of this CD back at home).

'Horny S.O.B' or 'Find your way back home' would be the weaker two serious tracks for me, but I still love both. The riffage on 'Horny S.O.B' is just intense. Overall I'd say the latter is the weakest song on the CD, but it's still pretty nice. Helped by Ted's vocals.

'Screw It' isn't as good as the debut, but I still rate it around 9/10.

i don't know how James can rate this 5 when he thinks the debut is 10, because it's basically quite similar in terms of greatness and awesomeness :popcorn:

i don't know how James can rate this 5 when he thinks the debut is 10, because it's basically quite similar in terms of greatness and awesomeness :popcorn:

Very similar in terms of greatness and awesomeness, I agree, but very different in style. The debut is definitely more for the skirt wearers (like James) whereas the 2nd one is a bit more beefy, for the dudes amongst us.

Haha, kidding James (or am I?). ;) I love both albums immensely, and both would rate over 90%, but I definitely prefer 'Screw It!'

Screw It was and is a great album and easily a 95/100 album IMO.

Yes the lyrics are cheesy in places but it was hard rock in 1991 so no big surprise and of course this is the band that wrote "Naughty Naughty" so I'm not sure a song like "Slipped Her the Big One" or "Horny SOB" should of been much of surprise. Besides with classics like "Beat the Bullet", "Still Think About You", "Crazy Nights", "Coming Home", "Don't Blame it on Love", "Everybody Wants Some", "Find Your Way Back Home" and "Get Your Shit Together"(love both the electric and acoustic version) make this disc almost perfect on their own. Sure you have the fun "Yeah You Want It" but the song was a joke and not to be taken to serious plus with them name checking Enuff Z'Nuff and LA Guns it makes in even funnier. I always appreciated early D2's sense of humor and how they didn't take themsevles to serious. If the debut would of came out say around 85' and the label would of pushed say 4-5 videos/singles(how was there not a video for "Don't Walk Away?) and then this disc came out in 87' this would of sold 4-5 million easy IMO but like so many great albums of our beloved genre wrong place wrong time.

I don't understand the the love for the debut. I can only listen to a few songs on there now. Much too light for my tastes. I would rate every album by them better minus Dawn.

I don't understand the the love for the debut. I can only listen to a few songs on there now. Much too light for my tastes. I would rate every album by them better minus Dawn.

probably because the debut is much closer to AOR style where 'Screw It' is more hard rocking, but both are totally solid releases, yeah, there are something great about D2 that I love em till their latest release. Probably 'Dawn' is the weakest, but that album is still not totally horrible for me judging from the weird year of 1995.

Very similar in terms of greatness and awesomeness, I agree, but very different in style. The debut is definitely more for the skirt wearers (like James) whereas the 2nd one is a bit more beefy, for the dudes amongst us.

Haha, kidding James (or am I?). ;) I love both albums immensely, and both would rate over 90%, but I definitely prefer 'Screw It!'

:lol:

Nothing to do with heaviness, for me it's all about the songwriting. The debut is full of great tunes that stand up to repeated plays. The second album is full of really basic tunes, with very little originality and I found the songs got very boring very quickly. I just don't get what is good about the songs on 'Screw It', it was a massive disappointment to me at the time and I wouldn't listen to it now. Comparing the rockier songs to 'Bang Bang' or 'Saturday Nite' shows a huge gulf in class. And a lighter track like 'I Still Think About You' is terrible in comparison to the awesome 'Under The Gun'.

Chip Z'Nuff impression? Which bit is that?

The bit where he says Enuff Z'Nuff is said in the exact way that Chip talks.

Nothing to do with heaviness, for me it's all about the songwriting. The debut is full of great tunes that stand up to repeated plays. The second album is full of really basic tunes, with very little originality and I found the songs got very boring very quickly. I just don't get what is good about the songs on 'Screw It', it was a massive disappointment to me at the time and I wouldn't listen to it now. Comparing the rockier songs to 'Bang Bang' or 'Saturday Nite' shows a huge gulf in class. And a lighter track like 'I Still Think About You' is terrible in comparison to the awesome 'Under The Gun'.

For me the debut was good, but way too lightweight compared to Screw it and lacked the hooks.

Not only did Screw it rock out with its cock out, but it also provided a damn sight more memorable songs than the debut.

I can honestly say that while there are no bad songs on either of their first two albums, the debut only has a few tracks that really stood out to me where as the second had 100% of the tracks stand out.

For me, the writing on the debut was very muted.

Yeah 'skirt wearers' is an odd comment, when you have songs like 'Naughty Naughty', 'Boys Will Be Boys' etc on the debut. About as far removed from that comment as you can actually get.

I think it might be a production thing, as the production on the debut is a little thin, BUT the fact remains that in the live environment songs like 'Under The Gun', 'Naughty Naughty', 'Bang Bang', 'Boys Will Be Boys', 'Rock America' absolutely smoke anything on Screw It.

Sorry but its true.

& that is coming from someone who loves songs like 'Beat The Bullet' etc.

Oh and for the record 'One Step From Paradise' > any ballad on Screw it (by a country mile)

Cheers

For me the debut was good, but way too lightweight compared to Screw it and lacked the hooks.

Not only did Screw it rock out with its cock out, but it also provided a damn sight more memorable songs than the debut.

I can honestly say that while there are no bad songs on either of their first two albums, the debut only has a few tracks that really stood out to me where as the second had 100% of the tracks stand out.

For me, the writing on the debut was very muted.

It's amazing how opinions can differ so widely. Basically what you are saying about the songwriting and memorability of the songs is the unmitigated opposite of my view. Ultimately it's good that we can enjoy the rock music we choose to listen to rather than nonsense like Westlife or that little Bieber fella, for example. It's just bizarre that we hear completely different things in some albums.

The skirt wearer comment was in total jest as I am a HUGE fan of both discs.

It's basic to me. The debut will appeal more to AOR fans, and the 2nd one will appeal more to melodic hard rock / "hair metal" fans. Both are killer discs and I like both styles of music so I adore both discs. But if it came down to it, the overall vibe on the 2nd one just puts it over the line for me. I prefer 'I still think about you' to 'One step in paradise' but I agree it is better than the other two ballads on 'Screw it.' However, 'Don't walk away' defeats all contenders seamlessly.

In all honesty, if I picked the best 10 songs of both CDs I'd bet I'd pick 5 from each, they're that close. Okay, you forced me to do it:

Don't Walk Away

Bang Bang

Rock America

Feels Like Love

Monkey Business

Slipped Her the Big One

Beat the Bullet

I Still Think About You

Crazy Nites

Don't Blame it on Love

There you go, point proven. Of the top 10 songs, 6 are from 'Screw it.' :)

It's basic to me. The debut will appeal more to AOR fans, and the 2nd one will appeal more to melodic hard rock / "hair metal" fans. Both are killer discs and I like both styles of music so I adore both discs. But if it came down to it, the overall vibe on the 2nd one just puts it over the line for me. I prefer 'I still think about you' to 'One step in paradise' but I agree it is better than the other two ballads on 'Screw it.' However, 'Don't walk away' defeats all contenders seamlessly.

In all honesty, if I picked the best 10 songs of both CDs I'd bet I'd pick 5 from each, they're that close. Okay, you forced me to do it:

Don't Walk Away

Bang Bang

Rock America

Feels Like Love

Monkey Business

Slipped Her the Big One

Beat the Bullet

I Still Think About You

Crazy Nites

Don't Blame it on Love

Fair enough, well put. Slightly odd though, as I love hair metal and much prefer it to AOR as a rule, but just found the songs on 'Screw It' so simplistic and lacking any kind of depth (in terms of the tunes, I don't expect philosophical elightenment from Poley and co). Maybe that's not it at all, I just find it really hard to put my finger on exactly why I really dislike the album and find the debut so much better.

Only slight disappointment is 'Under The Gun' missing from your list. For me it's by far Danger Danger's best song, completely awesome in every way.

Don't Walk Away

Bang Bang

Rock America

Feels Like Love

Monkey Business

Slipped Her the Big One

Beat the Bullet

I Still Think About You

Crazy Nites

Don't Blame it on Love

Only slight disappointment is 'Under The Gun' missing from your list. For me it's by far Danger Danger's best song, completely awesome in every way.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Easily their best song (by a mile!), and usually their encore song, so they must think so too ;-))

I would also have Naughty Naughty in my top 10 too.

So would probably be 6-4 the other way for me.

BUT both great discs for me too.

Cheers

Don't Walk Away

Bang Bang

Rock America

Feels Like Love

Monkey Business

Slipped Her the Big One

Beat the Bullet

I Still Think About You

Crazy Nites

Don't Blame it on Love

Fair enough, well put. Slightly odd though, as I love hair metal and much prefer it to AOR as a rule, but just found the songs on 'Screw It' so simplistic and lacking any kind of depth (in terms of the tunes, I don't expect philosophical elightenment from Poley and co). Maybe that's not it at all, I just find it really hard to put my finger on exactly why I really dislike the album and find the debut so much better.

I am probably misreading what you mean by "depth" but if I am reading right, I would say D2 has never been anything but a great hard rock band not to be taken too seriously. If I want depth, I will listen to Dream Theatre. That doesn't make the band any less great or the songs on Screw it any less good because of what they sing about or the style of the song. That's just my opinion.

I will say this though...you hit the nail right on the head with Under the Gun. That is the BEST song on the S/T album by far and they do the song so good live without the drowing out of keyboards. I'm just not a huge keyboard person at all. The songs on the first album for the most part are good but I would love to hear them re-recorded heavier w/o keyboards.

Don't Walk Away

Bang Bang

Rock America

Feels Like Love

Monkey Business

Slipped Her the Big One

Beat the Bullet

I Still Think About You

Crazy Nites

Don't Blame it on Love

I am probably misreading what you mean by "depth" but if I am reading right, I would say D2 has never been anything but a great hard rock band not to be taken too seriously. If I want depth, I will listen to Dream Theatre. That doesn't make the band any less great or the songs on Screw it any less good because of what they sing about or the style of the song. That's just my opinion.

I will say this though...you hit the nail right on the head with Under the Gun. That is the BEST song on the S/T album by far and they do the song so good live without the drowing out of keyboards. I'm just not a huge keyboard person at all. The songs on the first album for the most part are good but I would love to hear them re-recorded heavier w/o keyboards.

I dont actually mind the keys in Under The Gun, but do agree that the songs on the debut sound much better live. The production on the debut is definitely 'lacking' IMO.

We may even have had this discussion elsewhere and I know it always stumps people, but 'Under the gun' is nowhere near my top D2 songs. It'd be in my bottom half from the debut and in their discography it wouldn't even register.

Intro and verses are epic... chorus just doesn't do it for me. Not really at all. I still like the song - don't get me wrong - but it's in no way one of my faves from this brilliant band. :)

We may even have had this discussion elsewhere and I know it always stumps people, but 'Under the gun' is nowhere near my top D2 songs. It'd be in my bottom half from the debut and in their discography it wouldn't even register.

Intro and verses are epic... chorus just doesn't do it for me. Not really at all. I still like the song - don't get me wrong - but it's in no way one of my faves from this brilliant band. :)

:doh:

;)

;)

yeah bizarre. Best song live by a long shot.

It was the song which Paul Laine decided to sing live at Firefest too, which was pretty awesome.

;)

yeah bizarre. Best song live by a long shot.

It was the song which Paul Laine decided to sing live at Firefest too, which was pretty awesome.

Yeah, I don't get it Geoff. Great song and the lyrics on that song are completely different than the rest of the song. Read the lyrics to this song then ready Saturday Night, Naughty, Naughty...it almost doesn't belong on this record.