Black Sabbath!

The best singer?  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Who is your choice for the best "singer" in Black Sabbath? Range, abilities & moxy to belt, scream & shatter glass or eardrums, perhaps? :banger:

I am going with Ian Gillan! At the time 'Born Again' was released Ian Gillan could, and did have an amazing voice, range & abilities to burst eardrums! RJD, & then Tony Martin are my next choices. Glenn Hughes can truly sing, however he was only on one release, which tended to be more melodic, for the most part, with little, or not much screaming.

For the lyrics I'm going with Ozzy (the first 5 releases have plenty of that!), with RJD a very close second. Tony Martin also is quite good with macabre type lyrics & has great range as well!

Since Ozzy was the first one & in some cases/points of view, still is the most crazy, unusual/bizarre person to front the band, I'm chosing him. Although I think RJD made the crossover from Rainbow quite well, which I don't think too many singer's could do that as convincingly & kicked ass too, as he did! :drink:

All of those vocalists mentioned are better vocalists than Ozzy but make no mistake , Ozzy Osbourne = Black Sabbath.

All of those vocalists mentioned are better vocalists than Ozzy but make no mistake , Ozzy Osbourne = Black Sabbath.

Dave,u are totaly right here,nobody would say ozzy was a good vocalist,but he was a great frontman,and when u think of sabbath u think of ozzy.I voted for rj dio,as best vocalist,but one of my fave tunes is The Shining with Tony martin on vox. :banger:

I agree. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a huge Sabbath fan.....but "Iron Man" and "Paranoid" with Ozzy define *to me* all that Black Sabbath is.....

Best Vocalist is Ronnie James Dio- DIO IS GOD!

The darkest lyrics were wrote by Geezer Butler but he's not listed, so I'll go with Dio with Tony Martin a close 2nd.

Ozzy best personifies Sabbath, but he is by far the worst singer listed

I too picked DIO for the first two questions... And Ozzy for the last one. I see that I am not alone with these picks. It would be hard for me to pick against Ronnie James Dio in anything... but for some reason, I think Ozzy was a better fit with Sabbath. Thanks God DIO did leave Sabbath... just think of all the great stuff that we might not have ever heard had he not left.

I always have and always will prefer Dio era Sab to Ozzy's, so he was my answer to the first two parts... however, when you hear the name "Black Sabbath" you almost can't help but immediately think of Ozzy, so he obviously "personifies" the band...

By the way, the BORN AGAIN album with Ian Gillan on vocals is an underrated gem in my book...

• 2023 Gold Donors
Best Vocalist is Ronnie James Dio- DIO IS GOD!

The darkest lyrics were wrote by Geezer Butler but he's not listed, so I'll go with Dio with Tony Martin a close 2nd.

Ozzy best personifies Sabbath, but he is by far the worst singer listed

That is a very interesting point! Some folks may not be aware that Geezer Butler was either the inspiration for or actually did write many of the earlier Sabbath material. Ozzy usually got the credit, but Geezer was the inspiration for and/or wrote many of the best Sabbath stuff, which is why he wasn't a choice in this poll. During the recent VH1 'Heavy Metal' month some info regarding that was explained, especially about the song 'Black Sabbath.' how/why it was created. I think Geezer was probably more into 'dark' inspirations or subject matter than many of the other guys. I also think Tony Martin really developed into a terrific singer, songwriter as well as frontman as his time with Sabbath progessed. Headless Cross & Devil And Daughter from Headless Cross are a couple of fav's as well as Cross of Thorns & The Hand That Rocks The Cradle are from the Cross Purposes release, both are essentials for Tony Martin in Sabbath. RJD both made an interesting transition from Rainbow, where he had a HUGE impact with singing, songwriting & fronting that band, into Sabbath and contributing terrific lyrics & with great abilities, too. IMO there are different styles, likes & fav's for singing/singer's, i.e. range, loudness, pitch & outright screaming, and to each his own! :headbanger::drink:

• 2023 Gold Donors
I always have and always will prefer Dio era Sab to Ozzy's, so he was my answer to the first two parts... however, when you hear the name "Black Sabbath" you almost can't help but immediately think of Ozzy, so he obviously "personifies" the band...

By the way, the BORN AGAIN album with Ian Gillan on vocals is an underrated gem in my book...

That's understandable & cool! :drink: I heard Ozzy with Sabbath before any of the other singers so I'm probably one of the few ;) who still enjoys many of the old fav's, and with Ozzy singing 'em, although I do agree with many here in that Ozzy wasn't the better singer, and in many cases seemed to be 'talking' through the lyrics & in concert was something diff altogether, if not for Geezer, Bill's & Tony's tremendous solo's & improvisational techniques, at one show, Ozzy's performance IMO may have found itself listed in the 'Gig was spoiled' section of this cool forum, but yet he does have quite a 'presence' especially live, whether in concert or just on tv. Ian Gillan, wow, that man could sing, scream & reach rather unusual decibel levels that I didn't know were attainable to the human ear. :banger::crazy: Some of the stories about the Born Again release are quite funny, scandalous & scary, i.e. the cover art. Does it qualify for one of the worst or scariest or perhaps stupidest (yep, there's a new combo of words, lol), or all three, heck, maybe that should be a subject for another poll! ;) both in Sabbath's catalog as well as overall? :screwy: There's probably too many for just one poll, tho!

• 11 months later...

I went RJD, RJD, but then again Ozzy = Sabbath.

Backed 100%

BORN AGAIN ROCKS!!!! Trashed is a Classic...IMO :drink:

Right on brutha... not to mention...

"DIIIIISTURBING THE PRIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEST!" :banger::drink:

Right on brutha... not to mention...

"DIIIIISTURBING THE PRIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEST!" :banger::drink:

Yeah there's some cool songs on that one but for the way it was mixed makes it tough to listen too.

Also for me it was wierd hearing Ian Gillan sing songs that heavy.

Yeah there's some cool songs on that one but for the way it was mixed makes it tough to listen too.

Also for me it was wierd hearing Ian Gillan sing songs that heavy.

True... the production is god-awful on that album. Sounds like it was recorded with the band at the bottom of a very deep hole, and the recording equipment was up at the top!

Honestly, I never heard alot of Dio-era Sabbath.. Except for Dehumanizer...... Which is Excellent.....

:yikes:

You are hereby ORDERED to go out and buy "Heaven & Hell" and/or "Mob Rules" immediately if not sooner! (or at the very least, the BLACK SABBATH: THE DIO YEARS compilation album as a cheap short cut)

Honestly, I never heard alot of Dio-era Sabbath.. Except for Dehumanizer...... Which is Excellent.....

You are hereby ORDERED to go out and buy "Heaven & Hell" and/or "Mob Rules" immediately if not sooner! (or at the very least, the BLACK SABBATH: THE DIO YEARS compilation album as a cheap short cut)

Dude, I was planning on getting the Dio Years Sabbath CD.. Relax..... :P And yes, eventually I'll get around to Heaven and Hell, and Mob Rules, don't worry.. The title track to Heaven and Hell is GOOD.. Hell on the Dio concerts I have on VHS, He ALWAYS sings it.... :headbanger:

Dude, I was planning on getting the Dio Years Sabbath CD.. Relax..... :P And yes, eventually I'll get around to Heaven and Hell, and Mob Rules, don't worry.. The title track to Heaven and Hell is GOOD.. Hell on the Dio concerts I have on VHS, He ALWAYS sings it.... :headbanger:

Like Keith said you have to buy Heaven&Hell and Mob Rules.(two of the greatest Metal albums ever IMO.)

Like Keith said you have to buy Heaven&Hell and Mob Rules.(two of the greatest Metal albums ever IMO.)

Consider that thirded, great freakin' stuff! :banger: