Last movie you watched?

66 mustang

It was my 10-year-old's turn to pick a movie. This is what we got:
"The Emoji Movie" (2017)

Inside a teenager's cell phone, a trio of non-conforming "emojis" escape from their program and go on an adventure through the digital landscape, visiting various apps and avoiding anti-virus enforcers.
This was one of 2017's most critically-hated films, and I'd say they had good reason. This isn't a movie, it's a feature-length commercial for Spotify, YouTube, Facebook, etc. 
It's a nicely animated little dumpster fire but that's about all the praise "The Emoji Movie" will get from me.

On 2/12/2018 at 7:28 AM, Dead Planet said:

The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) - I didn't care for the previous 2 Cloverfield flicks but this one is a well done sci-fi film.....

This one is in my Netflix cue and looking forward to it as the previous 2 installments for me were excellent.

It-Again. This 2017 reboot of the Stephen King classic is so very good. I can't stop watching it and I am anxiously awaiting the next installment.

• My Little Pony
On 11/02/2018 at 11:41 PM, simo said:

Three Billboards Outisde Ebbing, Missouri - very good, watched this with a male and a female friend, both of them cried at least once during the film :D

This is on my list. 

• My Little Pony

Rec 3: Genesis (2012)

Not as bad as the reviews might have you believe, but the first two are just so good. Still, it was a decent gory time. 

On 9/18/2017 at 12:59 AM, CureTheSane said:

Saw American Made today. Not bad. More of the usual drug trafficking related 'epic' movies. Not as good as Goodfellas, nor is it as good as The Wolf Of Wallstreet which were made in the same vein. Still, interesting enough to keep me happy for a couple of hours.

American Made was ok, it was also similar to recent movie Gold (with Matthew McConaughey)

Snow days and some binge watching of nothing earth shattering.

My Little Pony The Movie ~ Kids loved this new installment in the pony franchise and I agreed for what it is it was well done.

Fate of the Furious ~ These movies are sooooo over the top anymore amazing how they have morphed from the barrio street thugs and their antics in street racing to highly trained and elite secret squirrel spy hunter types. That said still some above average fodder with a budget that could sustain all of us and our kids for ever.

A Bad Mom's Christmas ~ "NUff said. Girls behaving badly, Catherine Hahn is a stone cold fox and is certainly worthy of your attentions.

Cottage Country ~ This one was a lot of fun and certainly well off everyone's radar. Malin Akerman is gorgeous and Tyler Labine is a solid actor, you will remember him from Tucker and Dale VS Evil.

"Zombieland" (2009)

A nervous nerd, a tough guy and two con-artist sisters make their way across a zombie-ravaged USA on their way to a fabled undead-free zone in California in this cult classic horror comedy. I've seen this one a bunch of times and it never gets old. 

"Deep Red" (1975)

A British musician living in Rome witnesses the brutal murder of a psychic, then teams up with a lady reporter to uncover the killer's identity and stop the string of deaths that follow. 
Dario Argento's mix of European arthouse visuals and American grindhouse gore is nice to look at but the story becomes a confused muddle pretty quickly. That may be due to the fact that the version I watched was the American "theatrical" cut (1 hr, 40 minutes), I'm told that Argento's original Italian release (which runs 20 minutes longer) is  easier to follow. Either way, it was an entertainingly weird, gory murder mystery.

"Inside Metal: The L.A. Metal Scene Explodes" (2016)

Part 1 of a 2-part documentary about the early '80s metal boom in Los Angeles. Past and present members of Dokken, Stryper, Quiet Riot, Metallica, Armored Saint, W.A.S.P. and many more tell some good stories and reminisce about the good ol' days, interspersed with lotsa vintage concert posters, photos and video clips. I didn't really learn anything new from this doc, but it was a fun trip down memory lane.

"Spider-Man: Homecoming" (2017)

The third time is the charm for the Web-head, who's been rebooted (again) back to his roots as a dorky teenage science genius. This "new" Spidey is still trying to navigate his awkward high school years while tangling with a gang of crooks led by The Vulture (Michael Keaton) who use stolen alien tech to create super weapons. Cameos by Iron Man, Captain America, and of course Stan "The Man" Lee add to the fun. This 21st century update is a little different from the Spidey I grew up with, but it's more entertaining than the last several Spider-Man movies combined. Color me pleasantly surprised.

Rainy Sunday double feature:

"Happy Death Day" (2017)

A self-obsessed sorority girl is murdered on her birthday... and then wakes up at the start of the same day, so she has to re-live it all over again, unless she can figure out who the masked slasher is and stop the cycle. An entertaining hybrid of "Scream" and "Groundhog Day," with some good one liners and a plot that keeps you guessing. I wasn't expecting much from this one but was pleasantly surprised.

And then for something completely different...
"A Dog's Purpose" (2017)

Warm, fuzzy (in both senses of the word) family film about a dog whose spirit is "reborn" into new bodies and lives numerous lives over the decades until he's re-united with the now-grown-up boy who was his best friend. If you don't tear up at least once during this one, you have no soul. Two paws up.