Let's Discuss the Hypothetical: Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet Deluxe Edition

A few months ago, Bon Jovi released a Deluxe Edition of their self-titled album. This new edition has four live tracks, a remixed and an alternate version of Runaway, and a few demos. Since they released it, I've been hoping they'll also someday create deluxe editions of 7800° Fahrenheit and Slippery When Wet.

While this Deluxe Edition doesn't feature as many demos and outtakes as the one for New Jersey, I imagine that a Slippery When Wet Deluxe Edition would be way bigger. After all, the album not only has two outtakes (which were eventually released in Japan), but also a fuck-ton of kickass demos!

If they did release a Slippery When Wet Deluxe Edition, what is one thing you'd like to see included in it? I'd personally like for it to have a better-quality recording of "Lonely Is the Night"

Let It Rock

You Give Love A Bad Name

Livin' On A Prayer

Social Disease

Wanted Dead Or Alive

Raise Your Hands

Without Love 

I'd Die For You 

Never Say Goodbye

Wild In The Streets

Wanted Dead Or Alive (Edit) Single Version

Shot Through The Heart (Wanted DOA b-side)

Borderline (You Give Love A Bad Name b-side)

Hardest Part Is The Night (Live) Let it Rock b-side

Burning For Love (Live) Let it Rock b-side

Shot Through The Heart (Live) Never Say Goodbye b-side

Edge Of A Broken Heart (from Disorderlies soundtrack)

8 minutes ago, Kristian said:

I would want the original artwork :tits:

Who doesn't 😏

19 minutes ago, auslander said:

Let It Rock

You Give Love A Bad Name

Livin' On A Prayer

Social Disease

Wanted Dead Or Alive

Raise Your Hands

Without Love 

I'd Die For You 

Never Say Goodbye

Wild In The Streets

Wanted Dead Or Alive (Edit) Single Version

Shot Through The Heart (Wanted DOA b-side)

Borderline (You Give Love A Bad Name b-side)

Hardest Part Is The Night (Live) Let it Rock b-side

Burning For Love (Live) Let it Rock b-side

Shot Through The Heart (Live) Never Say Goodbye b-side

Edge Of A Broken Heart (from Disorderlies soundtrack)

Yeah, it would be freakin' awesome if they finally released Borderline outside of Japan. I often listen to it on YouTube, but I really wish it could be on other streaming services.

20 minutes ago, Kristian said:

I would want the original artwork :tits:

But in all seriousness, I do agree that the rejected cover art better. In the final (non-Japanese release) album art, it's hard to tell what you're even looking at (I just recently learned that it's supposed to be a wet trash bag).

6 minutes ago, GarrisonDreams said:

it's hard to tell what you're even looking at (I just recently learned that it's supposed to be a wet trash bag).

Really? I always assumed it was a wet window..hmmm...every days a school day :)

2 minutes ago, lettard said:

Wet window? Interesting take. Honestly, I never thought of that, but now that you said that, I can totally see it.

• Haha 1

One of the best deluxe versions out there was the one they did for New Jersey, ten years ago.

Bonus tracks on the main disc, a second disc of bonus tracks, Access all areas on DVD and also New Jersey the videos on DVD as well.

Why they did not do one for Slippery is beyond me.

The only thing I would say is, considering the box set they put out 20 years ago, I am not sure what else there is out there to release. And unless it's a live concert from the Slippery tour, I sure as shit aint interested in random live tracks as bonuse tracks.

42 minutes ago, lettard said:

I read the trash bag story years ago, so have known it was that for pretty much as long as I can remember.

I bought the Japanese version years ago so haven't owned the more famous album in decades.

9 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

One of the best deluxe versions out there was the one they did for New Jersey, ten years ago.

Bonus tracks on the main disc, a second disc of bonus tracks, Access all areas on DVD and also New Jersey the videos on DVD as well.

Why they did not do one for Slippery is beyond me.

The only thing I would say is, considering the box set they put out 20 years ago, I am not sure what else there is out there to release. And unless it's a live concert from the Slippery tour, I sure as shit aint interested in random live tracks as bonuse tracks.

You'd be surprised by all of the stuff they still haven't released! If you can, look for Sessions from the Vault, It's a 11 CD bootleg which contains just about every demo these guys ever made! There's a playlist on YouTube which contains the entire collection except for the first CD, but in the last video, there's a download link in the description for the entire collection.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

I bought the Japanese version years ago so haven't owned the more famous album in decades.

Same here :) 

2 hours ago, GarrisonDreams said:

You'd be surprised by all of the stuff they still haven't released! If you can, look for Sessions from the Vault, It's a 11 CD bootleg which contains just about every demo these guys ever made! There's a playlist on YouTube which contains the entire collection except for the first CD, but in the last video, there's a download link in the description for the entire collection.

I have an 8 disc set of demos and unreleased stuff, and so much of it has been released since it was compiled. And most of it is not from the Slippery era.

52 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I have an 8 disc set of demos and unreleased stuff, and so much of it has been released since it was compiled. And most of it is not from the Slippery era.

Which set do you have? I'd like to check it out since I love listening to demos.

• 2023 Gold Donors
Posted (edited)

This may be controversial, but If it happened, then I reckon "Prayer '94" should be included. 

Edited by Darkstone

7 hours ago, GarrisonDreams said:

Which set do you have? I'd like to check it out since I love listening to demos.

It's just called Unreleased demos and b-sides. Some of the stuff is songs from soundtracks or tribute albums, some is stuff from the deluxe or international releases. Some live tracks and a few solo bits of various members like Richie singing In these arms.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Darkstone said:

This may be controversial, but If it happened, then I reckon "Prayer '94" should be included. 

Interesting choice. Until now, I never even knew that there was an alternate version of the song. I personally prefer the original, but each to their own.

42 minutes ago, GarrisonDreams said:

Interesting choice. Until now, I never even knew that there was an alternate version of the song. I personally prefer the original, but each to their own.

It was a on the US version of Crossroad instead of In these arms which was on the international releases and also appeared as a b-side track on Always.

I think its a good version, and had they stuck to this kind of reworking on This left feels right, that might have actually been a good album instead of being The shit sounds shite.

• 2023 Gold Donors
16 hours ago, GarrisonDreams said:

Yeah, the original is THE version of course. 

I wasn't claiming Prayer '94 was superior, but it's still a Killer version that I reckon should be considered.

A bit of a no brainer TBH.

• Like 1

I don't really go for this reissue crap.

Only chance I'd make would be to add Edge Of A Broken Heart which was the B side to either Living On A Prayer or YGLABN and should have always made the cut in place of Social Disease.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

I don't really go for this reissue crap.

Only chance I'd make would be to add Edge Of A Broken Heart which was the B side to either Living On A Prayer or YGLABN and should have always made the cut in place of Social Disease.

Really? Edge of a Broken Heart was already in the 100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong box set. I'd be more interested if they included Borderline, which was only released as a single in Japan. An international release of that song is long overdue!

Edited by GarrisonDreams

I have a cassette tape recording of the Slippery demos that, while sound-wise sucks, is a fun listen as they were basically still putting many of the tracks together nearly from scratch at the time.

Hardcore fans of that era of Bon Jovi (like I certainly was... still am I guess... of THAT era) might be interested in something like that if better quality demos are shelved somewhere.  Better yet, perhaps vocal commentary regarding their thoughts listening back to the recording themselves.  But that would only work (for me, anyway), if Jon and Richie were on-board TOGETHER.

I bet there are tons of stories and perhaps some audio and video that none of us have ever heard / seen before.  What a magical time 1986 / 1987 was.  For those not around to have actually witnessed it in-person at the time (I know most of here were), they were like the freaking Beatles of the mid to late 80's. 

To think, Bon Jovi (Slippery) and Def Leppard (Hysteria) were criss-crossing the USA the summer of 1987.  What a spectacle that was.  I'll never forget it!

6 hours ago, GarrisonDreams said:

Really? Edge of a Broken Heart was already in the 100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong box set. I'd be more interested if they included Borderline, which was only released as a single in Japan. An international release of that song is long overdue!

Edge of a broken heart was also a b-side on the Always CD single.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Edge of a broken heart was also a b-side on the Always CD single.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that! 😅