Op-Shop/2nd Hand Store Bargains

auslander

For a treat for her I took my missus to every op shop between Tarcutta to Cowra cause she loves them. I had faint hopes of any having a CD or two.

But lo and behold in Cowra today I found a mint 1985 CD copy of Metal Heart by Accept for $1. I am stoked! 

Anyone else found a bargain recently?

Been find a few Frontiers titles down in Dixons in Blackburn, which didn't have. It seems there is guy, who buys Frontiers, off my friend and sells the two to three weeks later.

Found some bargains on Discogs recently. E.g., the second Blanc Faces, second Find Me, Europe unplugged, second album by Teenage Casket Company.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2023 at 10:17 AM, Doggy said:

Been find a few Frontiers titles down in Dixons in Blackburn, which didn't have. It seems there is guy, who buys Frontiers, off my friend and sells the two to three weeks later.

Found some bargains on Discogs recently. E.g., the second Blanc Faces, second Find Me, Europe unplugged, second album by Teenage Casket Company.

Not a bad haul that at all! 

On 10/28/2023 at 10:59 PM, heavyharmonies said:

I do a lot of thrifting, picking up discs for eBay resale, but VERY little of it ends up being in HH genres. Actual used CD stores around here are long gone.

I'm the same as you. My tastes are broad. HH might be my favourite genre but it certainly isn't the only stuff I listen to or buy.

I miss the days of dedicated second hand CD stores. The sad irony of not being aware you were living in the glory days of physical media when they were happening.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, auslander said:

I'm the same as you. My tastes are broad. HH might be my favourite genre but it certainly isn't the only stuff I listen to or buy.

I miss the days of dedicated second hand CD stores. The sad irony of not being aware you were living in the glory days of physical media when they were happening.

Why people give away CDS to Vinneys, Salvos etc. found yesterday the reissue of the Florence 99 disc and new Casanovas ,.

The new CD by Casanovas only get release in second week of last month.

• My Little Pony

I don't do any thrifting anymore. There's one good used media store I know of one town over, but I hate driving through that city. And the prices are probably too high. And all the CDs you find at the local thrift stores are usually scratched to hell. I miss the thrill of the hunt, though. Even my eBay days, which are long behind me, were a lot of fun. 

4 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I don't do any thrifting anymore. There's one good used media store I know of one town over, but I hate driving through that city. And the prices are probably too high. And all the CDs you find at the local thrift stores are usually scratched to hell. I miss the thrill of the hunt, though. Even my eBay days, which are long behind me, were a lot of fun. 

I still hunt on ebay. I wish discogs were an option too but postage is a killer on that site. My wife just sent me photos of hundreds of spines of cds in a thrift shop she was at. There were 50c each and all mint. Obviously an estate collection of someone who just died. 99% classical shit. I don't know classical so have no idea if any were valuable. So didn't bother.

4 hours ago, Doggy said:

Why people give away CDS to Vinneys, Salvos etc. found yesterday the reissue of the Florence 99 disc and new Casanovas ,.

The new CD by Casanovas only get release in second week of last month.

Someone must have hated the Casanovas album something fierce! 😄 

3 hours ago, auslander said:

Someone must have hated the Casanovas album something fierce! 😄 

Which is very easy to understand. ;)

On 10/28/2023 at 10:59 PM, heavyharmonies said:

I do a lot of thrifting, picking up discs for eBay resale, but VERY little of it ends up being in HH genres. Actual used CD stores around here are long gone.

You still have much luck with this, Dan? Assuming postage costs are similar in the US to what they are in Australia, I feel like we've been priced out of this sort of activity in Australia, sadly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I stopped bothering with this because of postage costs... and that was a long time ago! It's a hell of a lot worse now, today. 

But I will admit that recently I have been selling a lot of old magazines on ebay and although most of them are local sales - and those postage costs are still criminal - I do get the odd order from overseas, even with the insane postage costs. So I guess it's about being in the right place at the right time. 

When I think of the music you generally get from second hand CD stores outside of "our genre/s," it's all pretty typical kind of stuff. Stuff that's charted and sold well. At least that's what I see. Is there really any interest in that at all? I ask genuinely as I have boxes in my garage of CDs a friend gave to us, and I drive past at least five second hand shops during work every day, all with large CD collections they're basically giving away. But is there still value in taking the plunge to resell on ebay? 

37 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Which is very easy to understand. ;)

You still have much luck with this, Dan? Assuming postage costs are similar in the US to what they are in Australia, I feel like we've been priced out of this sort of activity in Australia, sadly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I stopped bothering with this because of postage costs... and that was a long time ago! It's a hell of a lot worse now, today. 

But I will admit that recently I have been selling a lot of old magazines on ebay and although most of them are local sales - and those postage costs are still criminal - I do get the odd order from overseas, even with the insane postage costs. So I guess it's about being in the right place at the right time. 

When I think of the music you generally get from second hand CD stores outside of "our genre/s," it's all pretty typical kind of stuff. Stuff that's charted and sold well. At least that's what I see. Is there really any interest in that at all? I ask genuinely as I have boxes in my garage of CDs a friend gave to us, and I drive past at least five second hand shops during work every day, all with large CD collections they're basically giving away. But is there still value in taking the plunge to resell on ebay? 

Rarer catalogue albums from popular artists can fetch a pretty penny on eBay. You know a big artist who had an album that sold poorly so there aren't many copies about. Now those albums can be worth quite a bit. Anything Australian from the 80s sells quite a lot locally. Bands like Uncanny X Men, Painters and Dockers, Models. That second and third tier acts that maybe didn't press many cds. I have seen a Brian Mannix cd go for over $3000 on ebay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Actually yes, although it's more for the fun than the actual profit when all is said and done, i.e., I wouldn't want to have to put food on the table or provide for a family doing it, but it's profitable. I am trying to stay away from bulk purchases though, because even if the price is right, say under 25 U.S. cents, I accumulated so much of that prepping for garage sale season that I'm out of room. I've got about 30 bankers boxes of miscellaneous cheapo or unsorted CDs sitting in my storage unit at the moment awaiting Spring.

So I'm being a bit more descriminating when out and about thrifting, looking things up online before buying, which takes a lot more time, but limiting my purchases to those where it's worth listing on eBay. I'll typically look at what the lowest price is something currently listed for, and can I undercut that while still making it worth my time. That, to me, is more important than what something DID sell for in the past, as you don't know how many people may or may not have been looking for it at that specific point in time... what matters is what am I competing against RIGHT NOW should I go to list it.

I actually stay away from mainstream/popular artists unless it is a bootleg, minor label release, limited/bonus edition, or possibly import. There's far too much incorrectly-listed crap using eBay or other seller's stock images to think that people will differentiate between pressings or releases. The two exceptions to this are the "target" discs of the mid-1980s, which can still command a pretty penny, or some of the early Vertigo discs. I stick with releases where there are no or few results. There's always the possibility that it's so niche that nobody ever heard of it or wants it, but to me that's a gamble worth taking, as opposed to listing the 1,433rd copy of Aerosmith's Permanent Vacation.

While it absolutely takes more time to list, I refuse to use stock images and always scan the front of the jewel case, back of jewel case, and if unsealed, the disc itself, so people can see exactly what they are buying.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, heavyharmonies said:

Actually yes, although it's more for the fun than the actual profit when all is said and done, i.e., I wouldn't want to have to put food on the table or provide for a family doing it, but it's profitable. I am trying to stay away from bulk purchases though, because even if the price is right, say under 25 U.S. cents, I accumulated so much of that prepping for garage sale season that I'm out of room. I've got about 30 bankers boxes of miscellaneous cheapo or unsorted CDs sitting in my storage unit at the moment awaiting Spring.

So I'm being a bit more descriminating when out and about thrifting, looking things up online before buying, which takes a lot more time, but limiting my purchases to those where it's worth listing on eBay. I'll typically look at what the lowest price is something currently listed for, and can I undercut that while still making it worth my time. That, to me, is more important than what something DID sell for in the past, as you don't know how many people may or may not have been looking for it at that specific point in time... what matters is what am I competing against RIGHT NOW should I go to list it.

I actually stay away from mainstream/popular artists unless it is a bootleg, minor label release, limited/bonus edition, or possibly import. There's far too much incorrectly-listed crap using eBay or other seller's stock images to think that people will differentiate between pressings or releases. The two exceptions to this are the "target" discs of the mid-1980s, which can still command a pretty penny, or some of the early Vertigo discs. I stick with releases where there are no or few results. There's always the possibility that it's so niche that nobody ever heard of it or wants it, but to me that's a gamble worth taking, as opposed to listing the 1,433rd copy of Aerosmith's Permanent Vacation.

While it absolutely takes more time to list, I refuse to use stock images and always scan the front of the jewel case, back of jewel case, and if unsealed, the disc itself, so people can see exactly what they are buying.

Maybe I'll give it another crack - at least see what's out there, properly. I'm not sure there'd be much of what you or Auslander above are suggesting, where I'm looking, but I should double check. Because to be fair, I've always had that part of my mind that never stopped thinking that way - eg. I buy Southern Sons and Rick Price CDs to maybe sell if I ever see them, and anything else that seems kind of "rare," even to a lesser extent. But yeah, I think in these pawnbrokers / charity shops, it does generally seem to be some really mainstream stuff. But maybe one more look is warranted. 

Also, just on your last point... you still scan stuff? Everything I list on ebay is always 100% just photos taken with my phone. I find it saves a tonne of time I used to waste on prepping auction pics. You ever considered that route? I also never use the stock images, but yeah, pics using your phone are the ticket for me, personally. 

• My Little Pony

You guys are giving me the urge to start CD hunting again. And I don't even have a player anymore, save the stereo in my car. 

On 11/2/2023 at 9:06 AM, Geoff said:

Also, just on your last point... you still scan stuff? Everything I list on ebay is always 100% just photos taken with my phone. I find it saves a tonne of time I used to waste on prepping auction pics. You ever considered that route? I also never use the stock images, but yeah, pics using your phone are the ticket for me, personally. 

Actually, scanning is easier for me than cellphone pics, since my entire listing workflow is PC-based. Also, it's easier to make images consistent size, not deal with lighting/glare issues, etc. Also, it makes the back covers readable for those that want details.

• Like 1

Just to follow up, I've found that at least here in the midwest USA, chain stores like Goodwill and Salvation Army are almost completely useless. CDs are overpriced (US$2.59 at Goodwill for example) so there's very little turnover. Also, the material tends to be universal thrift/pawn garbage:

1. Gospel/Christian

2. Country

3. Classical

4. Easy listening (Engelbert Humperdinck, 101 Strings, etc.)

None of that crap is worth the time to look through IMO.

A better source is the Half Price Books chain of used bookstores, as there's a lot more variety, their clearance sections are usually $2 (less when they have live coupons), but what's especially nice is that the variety of genres can vary extremely from store to store. OOP titles and imports abound, and you can even find bargains in their regular non-clearance stock.

But my favorite source of discs is non-chain ministry thrift shops. They're very hit or miss, as there will be some that ONLY allow Christian music or the other genres above, i.e., don't accept rock, metal, rap, or anything "sinful", so those sorts of stores can be "visit once and not return" stores, but if you can find one that does and that prices their discs reasonably ($1 or less), you'll likely find that they turn over a lot of inventory, so probably worth re-visiting. It may take a few trips to be able to gauge their turnover rate.

I'm lucky in that the single best independent ministry thrift store I've ever encountered is in my town... less than 2 miles away from my house, as a matter of fact. Close enough that I visit 4-5 days a week.

But why would you go to the same thrift store that often, you ask?

Because they turn over a SHITLOAD of merch. It's a perpetual motion machine of used shit. It's 100% donation-based, but since they are strictly local rather than chain, I think a lot of people/estates/yard sales take their material there rather than to the national chain stores, since it produces local impact without the administrative overhead. I've driven by when the donation drive-up on the back side of the building is stacked 5-6 cars and trucks deep waiting to drop off.

I've spoken with the owner and they have a great approach: get it on the floor, get it off the floor. If it doesn't sell in a week, drop the price. When it comes to cds, dvds, vinyl, and books, if it doesn't sell in about 3 weeks, it's taken off the floor, baled up and shipped overseas in bulk.

Their prices are good (CDs are $0.69, DVDs and blu-rays are $0.99) with one day a week being 25% off for seniors 55 and up, and once a month they do a BOGO on media. They bring out carts of mixed books, DVDs, and CDs almost every day (unpredictable timing) to be added to inventory, so there's always something potentially new. And the stuff doesn't sit. They've cultivated a host of regular shoppers like me that are in there almost every day.

I've learned the hard way to grab and not assume that it will be there come next discount day... or even the next day. If it's good it won't be.

Granted, much of it falls into the genres above, but a lot doesn't. It comes and goes in waves depending on who donated what, but there's a lot of classic rock, jazz, and blues that comes through, and occasionally pockets of metal, punk, and other genres. This store is where I picked up over 100 Vietnamese music CDs for $0.69 each, many of which I sold for $20-$100 each. It was amazing.

Even some of the gospel/Christian/bluegrass that comes through is minor label, self-released stuff, very niche and/or regional, that can sell pretty well.

Yesterday I dropped by on my daily errand run and timed it perfectly. They had just brought out 2 carts including 100s of CDs, and there was a bunch of rock and metal in the mix. I bought 58 CDs all told. The 3 pics below show you the titles. Some are mundane, but some of them are $20-$50 sellers on eBay. After sales tax the 58 titles cost me a grand total of $43.62.

I won't say that this haul was "normal", but it also wasn't that uncommon. I would say once a month at minimum I'll make purchases of this size, crossing different genres.

The thrill of the hunt and the find is alive and well... and at a price that doesn't break the bank.

cdhaul1_20231102.jpg

cdhaul2_20231102.jpg

cdhaul3_20231102.jpg

• My Little Pony
21 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

Just to follow up, I've found that at least here in the midwest USA, chain stores like Goodwill and Salvation Army are almost completely useless. CDs are overpriced (US$2.59 at Goodwill for example) so there's very little turnover. Also, the material tends to be universal thrift/pawn garbage:

1. Gospel/Christian

2. Country

3. Classical

A better source is the Half Price Books chain of used bookstores, as there's a lot more variety, their clearance sections are usually $2 (less when they have live coupons), but what's especially nice is that the variety of genres can vary extremely from store to store. OOP titles and imports abound, and you can even find bargains in their regular non-clearance stock.

But my favorite source of discs is non-chain ministry thrift shops. They're very hit or miss, as there will be some that ONLY allow Christian music or the other genres above, i.e., don't accept rock, metal, rap, or anything "sinful", so those sorts of stores can be "visit once and not return" stores, but if you can find one that does and that prices their discs reasonably ($1 or less), you'll likely find that they turn over a lot of inventory, so probably worth re-visiting. It may take a few trips to be able to gauge their turnover rate.

I'm lucky in that the single best independent ministry thrift store I've ever encountered is in my town... less than 2 miles away from my house, as a matter of fact. Close enough that I visit 4-5 days a week.

Because they turn over a SHITLOAD of merch. It's a perpetual motion machine of used shit. It's 100% donation-based, but since they are strictly local rather than chain, I think a lot of people/estates/yard sales take their material there rather than to the national chain stores, since it produces local impact without the administrative overhead. I've driven by when the donation drive-up on the back side of the building is stacked 5-6 cars and trucks deep waiting to drop off.

I've spoken with the owner and they have a great approach: get it on the floor, get it off the floor. If it doesn't sell in a week, drop the price. When it comes to cds, dvds, vinyl, and books, if it doesn't sell in about 3 weeks, it's taken off the floor, baled up and shipped overseas in bulk.

Their prices are good (CDs are $0.69, DVDs and blu-rays are $0.99) with one day a week being 25% off for seniors 55 and up, and once a month they do a BOGO on media. They bring out carts of mixed books, DVDs, and CDs almost every day (unpredictable timing) to be added to inventory, so there's always something potentially new. And the stuff doesn't sit. They've cultivated a host of regular shoppers like me that are in there almost every day.

I've learned the hard way to grab and not assume that it will be there come next discount day... or even the next day. If it's good it won't be.

Granted, much of it falls into the genres above, but a lot doesn't. It comes and goes in waves depending on who donated what, but there's a lot of classic rock, jazz, and blues that comes through, and occasionally pockets of metal, punk, and other genres. This store is where I picked up over 100 Vietnamese music CDs for $0.69 each, many of which I sold for $20-$100 each. It was amazing.

Even some of the gospel/Christian/bluegrass that comes through is minor label, self-released stuff, very niche and/or regional, that can sell pretty well.

Yesterday I dropped by on my daily errand run and timed it perfectly. They had just brought out 2 carts including 100s of CDs, and there was a bunch of rock and metal in the mix. I bought 58 CDs all told. The 3 pics below show you the titles. Some are mundane, but some of them are $20-$50 sellers on eBay. After sales tax the 58 titles cost me a grand total of $43.62.

I won't say that this haul was "normal", but it also wasn't that uncommon. I would say once a month at minimum I'll make purchases of this size, crossing different genres.

The thrill of the hunt and the find is alive and well... and at a price that doesn't break the bank.

cdhaul1_20231102.jpg

cdhaul2_20231102.jpg

cdhaul3_20231102.jpg

Does bhangra sell well?

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, heavyharmonies said:

Today's visit to the ministry thrift store, and apparently someone donated a bunch of metal. For US$0.64 each after sales tax, sure why not?

thriftmetalhaul20231202-1.jpg

thriftmetalhaul20231202-2.jpg

thriftmetalhaul20231202-3.jpg

thriftmetalhaul20231202-4.jpg

Nice pick up. 

3 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

Today's visit to the ministry thrift store, and apparently someone donated a bunch of metal. For US$0.64 each after sales tax, sure why not?

Bargain. Should be able to onsell that lot for a tidy profit.

On 12/3/2023 at 7:12 AM, heavyharmonies said:

Wow, that’s actually pretty incredible at that price. Few pretty decent albums in that lot. 

On 11/3/2023 at 8:53 PM, heavyharmonies said:

1. Gospel/Christian

2. Country

3. Classical

cdhaul1_20231102.jpg

cdhaul2_20231102.jpg

cdhaul3_20231102.jpg

Nice to see ABBA and Old Man's Child in the same lot, talk about a broad taste in music :-)