Steve Overland - SIX

Stefan

From Escape Music:

Escape Music is delighted to announce the release date for the long-awaited Steve Overland sixth studio album title “SIX” featuring on guitars Robert Sall, will be available on CD, Vinyl, and all digital platforms!

The double album vinyl will be limited edition to 500 copies only! “Yellow Flame” colour and all will be numbered 1-500 also will include hand signed postcard by Steve Overland and Robert Sall!!

Release date: 28th October 2023
CD Catalogue No: ESM381

Overland is:
Steve Overland - vocals (FM/Lonerider)
Robert Sall - Guitars & Keys (W.E.T/Work Of Art)
Bob Richards - Drums (SHY/ASIA,ATACK)
Chris Cliff - Bass

Track List Vinyl:

SIDE A
1. One Touch 4:56
2. Disconnected 4:03
3. Together Alone 3:30
4. How Does it Feel 3:30

SIDE B
1. I Hear your Voice 4:21
2. Last Breath 4:34
3. Really Makes You Wonder 3:58
4. Station to Station 3:25

SIDE C
1. Things Will Never Be The Same 4:47
2. From Now On 3:51
3. Under The Blood Red Sky 4:45
4. Walk With Me 5:09

SIDE D
1. Last December NIGHT  5:05   Bonus Track
2. Foreign Movies 3:46   Bonus Track

Track List CD:
1. One Touch 4:56
2. Disconnected 4:03
3. Together Alone 3:30
4. How Does it Feel 3:30
5. I Hear your Voice 4:21
6. Last Breath 4:34
7. Really Makes You Wonder 3:58
8. Station to Station 3:25
9. Things Will Never Be The Same 4:47
10. From Now On 3:51
11. Under The Blood Red Sky 4:45
12. Walk With Me 5:09

Produced by Steve Overland / Robert Sall / Khalil Turk

Bio

Steve Overland is a legend in his own lifetime. Is there anyone out there who is not familiar with his name? He has a history that goes way back into the late seventies, his first major recording was with the band “Wildlife” in 1980. After the demise of “Wildlife” Steve went on to form the cult British melodic rock band “FM”, a band that released many great albums throughout the years and they are still going strong to this very day.

Steve originally teamed up with Escape Music to provide lead vocals for the Boston Tribute album (ESM 081), singing 'Amanda', one of the album highlights. Steve also collaborated with Steve Morris of “Heartland” fame to record four “Shadowman” albums, all of which are well respected in the rock community. He has written, recorded and sung so many great songs over the years.

However, let’s get back to Steve’s solo work with Escape Music which began with Break Away” (ESM170), then “Diamond Dealer” (ESM198), “Epic” (ESM262) “Contagious” (ESM297) and “Scandalous” (ESM343)

This man can just seemingly continue to give us breathtakingly good songs and with great song writing. This new release for 2023 is simply entitled “S.I.X” and is being released on both CD and Vinyl (limited edition of 500, all numbered in yellow flame) and featuring two bonus tracks. Exciting news indeed!

Steve Overland just gets better, and this latest recording has been hailed as his finest recording to date.

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1

Will Robert Sall make this one worthwhile? I hope so. Realistically, though, I’m expecting the same as always, which is ok to half decent. 

2 minutes ago, EnJayKay said:

I've seen someone on Facebook who's heard the album say it's 100% AOR, not a hint of blues rock, and that it sounds as if Tough It Out was the blueprint...

So that's promising.

That'd be something to get excited about for sure. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 3:11 PM, lettard said:

Sounds like the kind of thing that gets spread around...to perk our interest...I mean if it was anything near Tough It Out that would be great.

was Bruce Mee of Fireworks Mag.

I don't really want to hear about Tough It Out being the blueprint for anything unless Chris Overland somehow comes out of retirement in some capacity.

That said, I was really into the Groundbreaker disc Overland did with Sall, so I'm actually excited about this!

Would be absolutely hilarious (and good) if this just ends up being a Groundbreaker do-over after that band got del Vecchio'd.

I do enjoy most of Steve's solo work (Epic being my favorite) so I will certainly be checking this out. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CMGiordano said:

I don't really want to hear about Tough It Out being the blueprint for anything unless Chris Overland somehow comes out of retirement in some capacity.

That said, I was really into the Groundbreaker disc Overland did with Sall, so I'm actually excited about this!

Chris would probably struggle with that, given that he died 2 weeks ago 🙄

And given that Tough It Out was largely written by outside writers with the band, Steve writing with outside writers in that style could absolutely be the blue print for it.  Doesn't mean it's going to be a remake of it, but if that's the style they choose to write in, I'm sure they'll achieve it.

On 9/9/2023 at 3:27 PM, EnJayKay said:

Chris would probably struggle with that, given that he died 2 weeks ago 🙄

And given that Tough It Out was largely written by outside writers with the band, Steve writing with outside writers in that style could absolutely be the blue print for it.  Doesn't mean it's going to be a remake of it, but if that's the style they choose to write in, I'm sure they'll achieve it.

That being the struggle was kind of my point...

That and that Chris's guitar playing in the earlier days of FM (and on Tough It Out in particular) is really what set them apart, in my opinion, from not only their contemporaries at the time, but their later releases as well. Chris Overland was an extremely underrated guitar player.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, RockinSockinRobots said:

Trying to figure out when this is going to be released - I know it says Oct 28, but that is a Saturday and who releases music on a Saturday?

Its not out yet

And last Friday, Escapes social media was saying "out now".

So, yeah, confused!

2 hours ago, EnJayKay said:

And last Friday, Escapes social media was saying "out now".

So, yeah, confused!

I received mine with signed postcard from Escape today.

• Like 1

Ok just heard the album...... blues has been thumped away..thank god.

Its pretty faithfully FM in its prime. 

pre listens and download available if you know where to look...

Best Overland in ages.... ok nowt new here..but er if its THAT sound you want..,.you have it ..in spades

Its a wee bit more "guitar aggressive" here n there than FM..but is still in the territory

Edited by neilot
added some comments

It's up on YouTube now. It definitely sounds like a Sall production to me (absolutely more AOR than blues rock) and I could almost hear Lars Safsund singing a lot of the vocal lines. I might prefer it overall to the newest FM album.

2 minutes ago, Glen said:

it's basically the 5th WoA album with Overland singing. 

I like it a lot.

I hear zero Neal Schon tho 🤔

I think its the first or second song that has the Who's Crying Now solo in it, pretty much note for note.

There's another track later on that uses another Journey solo, maybe After The Fall.  I can't remember, I've only spun it the once.

Yeah, this one's not a bad album. I'd need a time machine to try and figure out when Steve Overland was on an album this decent. Some nice AOR, and also a couple of ballsier moments that I was expecting too. It's not an album full of keepers for me, and I still wouldn't call it a complete home run, but it's a damn find stab at it.

Favourite tracks would be 'Disconnected,' 'Together Alone,' 'Last Breath,' album highlight 'Really Makes You Wonder' and two fine closers in 'Under The Blood Red Sky' and 'Walk With Me.' Yeah, well above par in terms of recent output from Overland, which is nice to hear.