Sabu - Banshee

Stefan

Oh thats a suprise...like his solo stuff...the likes of Heartbreak & In Dreams are very good...just like the debut Only Child and the Sabu releases are also not bad at all...lets hope for something of that ilk...although I'm one of the few who liked Strange Messiah & Bangkok Rules also.

Edited by lettard

• 2 weeks later...

New video for 'Kandi'.

From Frontiers:

Frontiers Music Srl is pleased to announce the signing of Sabu to the label and the subsequent release of a new album, "Banshee". Sabu is the namesake of singer/guitarist/producer Paul Sabu, whose outstanding contributions to the genre over the past three decades have made him a legendary figure in the world of AOR. This will be the first Sabu album since 1998's "Between The Light" and the sixth Sabu album overall. "Banshee" was created in collaboration with Barry Sparks (ex-Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael Schenker Group, UFO, Dokken, and Ted Nugent), who, along with Paul, provides all the instrumentation on the album, as well as background vocals. Fans who are familiar with Sabu's work will find that the sound and vibe of "Banshee" is in line with Paul's classic releases under the band moniker Only Child, so, needless to say, something for AOR aficionados to truly look forward to.

Paul Sabu is a rock legend. For over 30 years he has done it all, from singer and songwriter to coveted guitarist, producer, and recording engineer. He has created smash hits, chart-topping albums, and an arsenal of top artists, and his numerous awards and accomplishments make him one of the most influential and best-selling artists in AOR history.

Sabu’s career is what dreams are made of. He got his break at only 22, when the young singer-songwriter auditioned and beat out hundreds of rock artists to become Motown Records’ official “Rock Dude”. He immediately got to work recording the classic self-titled Kidd Glove album, released to great anticipation and success in 1984 with the Motown-owned Morocco label. From there, history was made; he re-formed his own band, Sabu, in 1985 to release the outstanding Heartbreak album, which included the hit single “Angeline” and helped him realize his talent as a recording and mixing engineer. Producing his own music, Sabu soon created a new band, AOR gods and rock superstars Only Child, which found huge success with their 1988 self-titled album released through Capitol Records, and widely considered to be Sabu’s best and one of the top AOR albums of all time.

Only Child later reformed and took back the old name, Sabu. The new material was much heavier and rougher than Sabu’s past hits, evolving with musical sounds and finding new legions of fans with the self-titled album (1996) and Between the Light (1998). Along with Strange Messiah (2007) and Bangkok Rules (2012), these albums showcase big sounds, lots of depth, blistering guitars, and out-of-this-world vocals. Sabu’s music is easily recognizable and shows why he is considered an AOR god.

As he continued to work on his own music, Sabu also became a sought-after producer and engineer. Over the past quarter-century Sabu has worked with such artists as David Bowie, Alice Cooper, Little Caesar, Sheena Easton, Glass Tiger, Lee Aaron, Little America, Madonna, Malice, Motels, Robbie Neville, Only Child, Silent Rage, The Nelsons, Shania Twain, John Waite, Fatal Smile, and many more. To date these artists have earned Sabu 14 Platinum and 11 Gold Records as well as a permanent place in rock history.

Sabu has also worked on music for a number of movies and TV series, including Accused, American Drive-In, Assault Of The Killer Bimbos, Baywatch, Beverly Hill 90210, Diving In, Ghost Town, Goulies II, Hard Rock Zombies, Meatballs 4, Million Dollar Mystery, Sex And The City, To Die For, Trick Or Treat, Twin Sitters, Vice Versa, and many more. His credits extend to a huge variety of media and continue to reach new fans and masses.

Paul Sabu is considered one of the top AOR musicians of all time. Sabu continues to be sought after as a musician, producer and engineer and his reputation as an AOR god is permanently etched in rock history.

So, get ready to rock again with Sabu on "Banshee" in 2022

Tracklisting:
1. Blinded Me
2. Banshee
3. Kandi
4. Love Don’t Shatter
5. Backside Of Water
6. Skin On Skin
7. Rock
8. Turn The Radio On
9. Dirty Money
10. Midnight Road To Madness
11. Rock The House

Line-Up:
Paul Sabu: Vocals, All Instruments
Barry Sparks: Background Vocals, All Instruments

Edited by Stefan

Old Paul is a bit of a legend for me when it comes to AOR/ MR, with the mega Only Child disc, his S/T and 'Heartbreak' albums, as well as the Kid Glove and his input on the Alexa album (pretty much Only Child 2 with a female singer) all well worthy of attention. Since that, 2 or 3  of decent'ish solo albums and the odd mention on other peoples stuff. He gets my attention pretty much every time quality wise, so will definitely be checking this one out.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Song-wise, this one seems to be the best I've heard from Sabu in what seems like an age. I can't say I've thought much of his recent output and I'm actually surprised he still puts his voice to his work. I'd much prefer if he could team back up with someone like Jesse Damon, who has a similar voice but it seems in much better condition. 'Kandi' and 'Skin To Skin' probably my two favourites, but it's a decent album... song-wise. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...