Irritating new release CD trend

Anyone started to notice how new release cds are getting put on multiple discs unnecessarily? Recent examples include Iron Maiden "Senjutsu" and Scorpions "Rock Believer". Modern cds can store 80+ minutes of music yet they are being released with less than 40 mins. Apparently it's about keeping it like the record. But, you don't have to get up and flip the cd over at 20 mins either, so that doesn't make sense to me. It's just a bit annoying. Maybe it is the modern equivalent of that "hidden track" phase that was also equally annoying!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

One thing that really pisses me the hell off is when a label releases a digipak of a title and then 5 or 6 months later releases the same freaking title again in a jewel case version...….idiots!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Metal T said:

One thing that really pisses me the hell off is when a label releases a digipak of a title and then 5 or 6 months later releases the same freaking title again in a jewel case version...….idiots!

Personally I much prefer jewel cases over the often flimsy and easily damaged digipaks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, auslander said:

Personally I much prefer jewel cases over the often flimsy and easily damaged digipaks.

I pretty much refuse to buy digipaks.  I just mainly stream these days anyways so the CD's I do buy are more of just a collectible than anything else.  

I'd rather pay $30-$40 for a japan CD in a jewel case than $15-$20 for a crappy digipak.

For the most part, if a band label can't bother with jewel cases, then I can't bother with buying it.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 6:24 PM, auslander said:

Anyone started to notice how new release cds are getting put on multiple discs unnecessarily? Recent examples include Iron Maiden "Senjutsu" and Scorpions "Rock Believer". Modern cds can store 80+ minutes of music yet they are being released with less than 40 mins. Apparently it's about keeping it like the record. But, you don't have to get up and flip the cd over at 20 mins either, so that doesn't make sense to me. It's just a bit annoying. Maybe it is the modern equivalent of that "hidden track" phase that was also equally annoying!

I don't mind having the bonus tracks on a separate disc, eg the latest Battle Beast album; it beats the alternative of them not being released at all.

Edited by tobi is an animal

On 6/17/2022 at 5:09 PM, tobi is an animal said:

I've never had any issues with digipaks personally, though I do prefer a digibook.  What are you guys doing to the digipaks, especially if it's just a collectable I don't see it getting much wear and tear.  

^^^^ 💯

All mine are still in perfect nick. 

I prob still do prefer a jewel case tho

On 6/17/2022 at 3:14 AM, tts42572 said:

I pretty much refuse to buy digipaks.  I just mainly stream these days anyways so the CD's I do buy are more of just a collectible than anything else.  

I'd rather pay $30-$40 for a japan CD in a jewel case than $15-$20 for a crappy digipak.

For the most part, if a band label can't bother with jewel cases, then I can't bother with buying it.

surely a digipak is more expense?? It usually has more artwork, sometimes opens 2 ways and still has the standard booklet.

The plastic case is manufactured for peanuts, and then they just tuck the same booklet in it??? 

even though you might not like them I would say more effort and cost goes into a digipak

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

A digipak is the same form and size as a standard CD Jewel Case, however it is made mostly from environmentally friendly board. The difference with a digipak is that the CD wallet/jacket has a plastic tray which the disc snaps into – overall it is a sturdier product. 

Edited by nyoilers

On 6/18/2022 at 6:49 PM, Glen said:

surely a digipak is more expense?? It usually has more artwork, sometimes opens 2 ways and still has the standard booklet.

The plastic case is manufactured for peanuts, and then they just tuck the same booklet in it??? 

even though you might not like them I would say more effort and cost goes into a digipak

Agree.  I think I read somewhere that they're a little more costly to manufacture than traditional jewel cases which baffles me even more as to why labels use them.

On 6/19/2022 at 7:16 AM, nyoilers said:

A digipak is the same form and size as a standard CD Jewel Case, however it is made mostly from environmentally friendly board. The difference with a digipak is that the CD wallet/jacket has a plastic tray which the disc snaps into – overall it is a sturdier product. 

Yeah, I can see that they're more durable in the short term as they won't crack if you drop them.  But if I crack a CD case, it's easy enough to replace it and have a brand new CD again.  Once those digipak spines start cracking and showing wear though....or those corners get bent, it's over and there's no replacing it.

Granted, much of my disdain comes from the days when I was grabbing 3-4 CD's and chucking them in my car's glove compartment or something while I listened to them in the car.  I'm not doing that anymore so I'm sure digi's would hold up better for me.

Still don't like them though and there's been plenty of CD's I've skipped buying solely because they were a digipak.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Agree.  I think I read somewhere that they're a little more costly to manufacture than traditional jewel cases which baffles me even more as to why labels use them.

Yeah, I can see that they're more durable in the short term as they won't crack if you drop them.  But if I crack a CD case, it's easy enough to replace it and have a brand new CD again.  Once those digipak spines start cracking and showing wear though....or those corners get bent, it's over and there's no replacing it.

Granted, much of my disdain comes from the days when I was grabbing 3-4 CD's and chucking them in my car's glove compartment or something while I listened to them in the car.  I'm not doing that anymore so I'm sure digi's would hold up better for me.

Still don't like them though and there's been plenty of CD's I've skipped buying solely because they were a digipak.

"Sturdier" until 1 or more of those spines breaks and then the disc flops about and then your fucked cuz you can't just pop in a new tray.

Usually the odd sized releases are a slight annoyance as they can't rack very well.

Strong preference for the OG plastic jewel case.

• Like 1

jewel case 

What a bollocks name.

it's a fucking cheap plastic tray which smashes in 2 as soon as you drop it.

This made me laugh - 

The jewel case allegedly derives its name from its Phillips designer, Peter Doodson, who named it the jewel case because he claimed it was the perfect case design that also picked up light from certain angles.

PMLS. idiot. 

Edited by Glen

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Dead Planet said:

I'll take jewel cases any day over digipak as you can easily replace them when they break which is often....once the digipak is damaged you are screwed and would have to buy the cd again to fix the problem....

buy it again lol.

no put disc in cheap plastic tray and stick insert in as well.

contine to stream in Spotify as per normal

;)

5 hours ago, Glen said:

buy it again lol.

no put disc in cheap plastic tray and stick insert in as well.

contine to stream in Spotify as per normal

;)

That's okay if you don't care if there is a back insert.....personally I like to be able to look on the shelf and easily read what each cd is rather than having to actually grab it and check....but if you're happy with it looking half-assed then good for you...;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

That's okay if you don't care if there is a back insert.....personally I like to be able to look on the shelf and easily read what each cd is rather than having to actually grab it and check....but if you're happy with it looking half-assed then good for you...;)

my point is I don't look for them ;)

48 minutes ago, Metal T said:

Got a digi-crap the other day and the d@mn thing was bent-to hell on the edges and the spindle spokes were broken

Lucky me !

Man that sucks.