Firefly/Serentiy

66 mustang

thanks to a couple people who nudged me to go ahead and buy the Firefly series on DVD. It is a very solid written sci-fi show but a western at the same time. A sci-fi western? Yep, you have to see it to understand. Even the theme song puts you in the mind of the Old West. I'm enjoying it very much. I've watched the opening movie and then the first 5 episodes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Whedon at Peace with 'Serenity'

When speaking to "Serenity" writer and director Joss Whedon, it's important to note that he prefers the moniker "nerd lama" to "geek guru." That's Whedon's witty sense of humor to a T. His talent for writing memorable characters became evident with the TV hits "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and its spin-off "Angel." Surprisingly, Whedon's luck ran out when his sci-fi western "Firefly" was cancelled after only 11 of the first 15 episodes aired on Fox. But it was the show's rabid fans that helped convince Universal to back a feature version of the show, "Serenity," that is finally hitting theaters this month.

"The more time I spend with the fans, the more I realize that in some ways they are much more well-adjusted and much more attractive than I am," Whedon says. "And the fan base really includes a lot of people who would not consider themselves geeks or even sci-fi fans necessarily."

With the fans blogging and e-mailing like crazy, Whedon spent months keeping his cast up-to-date on every bit of news as the project headed to the big screen. For Gina Torres, who plays Zoe, it was hard to believe they were actually making a movie back on the "Firefly" sets.

"You just don't think that you're ever going to see these characters again, except maybe late at three o'clock in the morning on the Sci-Fi channel," the star of the two "The Matrix" sequels says. "It was a wonderful thing and it was quite miraculous, because this just isn't supposed to happen."

Nathan Fillion, who plays the ship's captain, Mal, says it was three weeks into shooting before he "could stop believing it wasn't going to be taken away from us."

Whedon knew when the characters returned it would have to be in a story that was accessible and entertaining for an audience who had never watched "Firefly."

"I worked for a long time to come up with something epic enough to be a Universal movie and not just a glorified episode of 'Firefly,'" Whedon says. "I wanted to make a movie that made me feel or made people feel the way I felt the first time I saw the first 'Star Wars.' I wanted to be really involved in something very exciting, but not just another big summer ride, because I have had enough of those."

As legions of fans anxiously await their chance to help the film's box office total reach the magic number needed to spawn a sequel (there is no official deal yet), I ask Whedon if he has any ideas for a second installment.

"It would be incredibly presumptuous of me to ever think about a story for a sequel ... and yes," Whedon says, laughing. "I have some ideas. That is how the brain works. But first I have to get people to see the first one. So, most of my energy has been in trying to make that good enough so there could be a sequel."

After experiencing the passion of these fans first hand, I pity the Universal exec that decides not to green-light "Serenity 2."

"Serenity" opens nationwide Sept. 30.

Excellent show! I'm re-watching the series on the Sci-Fi Channel on Fridays at 7pm EST, and can't wait for the movie! :banana:

'Serenity' now for sci-fi fans

By Ray Richmond

As a general rule, television series that tank after less than one season don't translate into successful feature films.

There isn't much demand for movies based on, say, "Supertrain" or "Manimal." Perhaps the only time it has really been attempted was with the three "Naked Gun" flicks that rose from the ashes of the short-lived 1982 ABC comedy "Police Squad!"

So it's highly unusual that Universal Pictures' "Serenity," which hits theaters on Friday, is happening at all, a monument to the perseverance -- and some might say hardheadedness -- of a fellow named Joss Whedon.

Whedon, the creator and executive producer of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel," two prominent recent additions to the annals of cult TV faves, crafted "Serenity" following the failure of a short-lived Fox sci-fi drama from the 2002-03 season (which was something of a Nielsen waterloo period for Fox) called "Firefly." If you remember it, consider yourself a sci-fi geek in good standing. It ran for 11 episodes, out of order, before being axed.

But Whedon didn't let a little thing like a cancellation discourage him. Thanks to "Firefly" DVD sales that exceeded 200,000 units, he got the green light to write and direct the $40 million "Serenity" (named after the creaky ship in "Firefly" that traverses space).

Yes, once you get the sci-fi True Believers on your side, all things are possible, Whedon understands.

"We have a much broader base than just sci-fi people," he says. "That's what I found in our screenings so far. They're a diverse group, fairly well-adjusted socially, and I expect that a lot of them are even having sex. I really think the line between geeks and the rest of the world is blurring."

"Serenity" has been screened nearly 100 times to date, Whedon estimates, many of them designed to stir interest among that fanatical subculture that either embraces you with all of their heart and soul or rejects you with incalculable venom and rage. There isn't a whole lot of middle ground with the "Firefly" group that refers to itself as the "browncoats."

"First off, you can't make the movie for the fans of the TV show because then there will be a lot of people who don't know what's going on," he believes. "Yet it's a fine line because you also can't talk down to the real fans because it's their support that's getting the film made in the first place."

When these browncoats see a filmmaker as having committed blasphemy, "halfway through the screening they light torches and chase you down the street crying 'Monster! Monster! Monster!"' Whedon observes only half-jokingly. "Fortunately, there have been no torches so far."

There has instead been a vibe of massive anticipation for "Serenity" in the sci-fi community, which means, of course, that certain individuals with too much time on their hands -- depicted so memorably in the film "Galaxy Quest," which Whedon jokingly labels "a documentary" -- will be devoting an abundance of energy to "Serenity" worship.

Sean Maher, who portrays Dr. Simon Tam in both "Firefly" and "Serenity," was present at last week's L.A. premiere of the new film and saw one attendee dressed in his character's trademark white button-down shirt and vest.

"It always takes a moment for me to process something like that," Maher admits. "I think I'm prepared for it, but it's like receiving a really generous compliment that leaves you at a loss for words."

That kind of extreme-geek support tells Whedon that he did the right thing in fighting to spin a movie no one expected from a TV series nobody watched and a DVD that captured a momentum no one knew existed. "This is really a classic underdog story in every way," he observes, "and I think I'm safe in saying this is the finest film ever made."

Went and saw the movie "Serenity" this weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

They spend the first 9-10 minutes setting up the storyline, and then it kicks in big time. Overall, just a few "slow" sections during the 2 hours....and if you've never seen Firefly before, here's 4 good reason's besides the kickass storyline, and great fight scenes to go see Serenity:

Cast4.jpg

:)

• 2 years later...

Agreed... I liked the movie and THEN found out there was a series... :whistle:

After watching the series, I aslo wonder why it was axed.... I thought it was a pretty damn good show and MUCH better than some of the other Sci-Fi stuff that is still on. My only complaint, and I shouldn't say complaint, but... They made Mal look TOO MUCH like a cross between Han Solo and Indiana Jones... almost on purpose I'd say ;)

Agreed... I liked the movie and THEN found out there was a series... :whistle:

After watching the series, I aslo wonder why it was axed.... I thought it was a pretty damn good show and MUCH better than some of the other Sci-Fi stuff that is still on. My only complaint, and I shouldn't say complaint, but... They made Mal look TOO MUCH like a cross between Han Solo and Indiana Jones... almost on purpose I'd say ;)

Well it was connected to the Buffy/Angel show with some of the same writers and producers but for whatever reason I don't remember any promotion for the show during Buffy/Angel episodes. It was cool after it got the ax how some of the actors showed up in both Buffy and Angel.

• 1 year later...

I'm pretty sure they bought out a comic mini series awhile ago with scripts that didn't make the tv mini series.My mate put me on to the show i love it.As timelines go in the show yuo should watch the mini series then the movie.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
if you are a fan of Firefly you need to watch Castle this coming week. Nathan Fillion's character, Richard Castle, dresses up like Malcolm Reynolds for Halloween

That was hilarious.

I loved it when his daughter said "Didn't you wear that 5 years ago?"

That was great as was the mention of "Buffy" when they found the body, since he was in Buffy season 7.

It would of been even better if he would of came to the party as a Priest since that's what he played in Buffy.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

HEADS UP!

fire_fly_square_web.jpg?1294262041

If you have the Ovation Channel: http://www.ovationtv.com/ (DirecTV carries it, and Charter Cable does as well) they're showing 3 episodes of Firefly every night starting at 8 pm Jan 3rd through the 9th (I just found them last night). Plus, they're doing a marathon this Saturday starting at noon: http://www.ovationtv...08&genre=genres :beerbang:

FOR THOSE THAT haven't seen the show you need to watch

Or even if you have! It's been a while since I've seen them, and all the episodes feel "fresh" to me. I'd forgotten just how good it was... and that Christina Hendricks pops up in not one, but two episodes! Younger, slightly slimmer, but still oh so buxom! :christmas:

Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.

Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.

:tumbsup: Loved it when Mal said that! Its like Hell Ya. Gonna Kick Some Ass!!!

1560627gunfight.gif

• 11 months later...