What old record label did the best at promoting a band?

AlphaMale

Which label had the best talent on it's roster?

I think the worst label a band could have been on back in the 80's was MCA. Atlantic Records seemed to be the best.

Capitol/EMI had a solid roster. Geffen had some good stuff but also some huge duds. A&M had Y&T. 

Back before I knew any better, I just bought some tapes because of the label it was on.

What do you guys think?

The most memorable labels:

Atlantic

Capitol

A&M

Geffen

MCA

Megaforce

RCA

BMG

Who am I forgetting?

Epic/CBS?

Music For Nations

EMI

Island

Warner Bros (inc subs like Giant records etc)

Polydor

Vertigo(where they a label or a sub also?)

Mercury

Chrysalis

MCA had a lot of really good artists like Lillian Axe,Sweet F.A,Spread Eagle but I know what you mean about them being the worst because they never promoted them bands like the should have.

Edited by lettard
  • Like 2

Long Island, MCA or greatest in history, Metal Enterprises, for a great read, study up on that label, lol

• Like 2

• 2023 Gold Donors

MCA were an absolute bunch of f-ups...Cold Sweat,Sweet F.A. etc were so poorly promoted it was pathetic.Putting a one page ad promoting a band a couple times in Hit Parader and Metal Edge was NOT promoting a band.They even dropped the ball with Krokus  after they came over from Arista'  for the 'Heart Attack' record...horrible promotion and it was a d@mn good record...sad

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

Back in the day I always kept a look out for "Now and Then", "MTM", "Music for Nations" and "Long Island Records".

I don't know what they were like at promoting their releases in the US and Europe, but there was nothing down here really.

The first label I can remember taking note of was "Scotti Brothers Records". 

Edited by Darkstone

4 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Back in the day I always kept a look out for "Now and Then", "MTM", "Music for Nations" and "Long Island Records".

I don't know what they were like at promoting their releases in the US and Europe, but there was nothing down here really.

The first label I can remember taking note of was "Scotti Brothers Records". 

Is word of mouth for MTM and Now and Then in Australia. Or reading magazines like Frontiers, Hard Roxx. Or my mate of mine used write in Impress

The way Andrew at Pipeworks got his titles what was recommended at Radical.

• 2023 Gold Donors
25 minutes ago, Doggy said:

Is word of mouth for MTM and Now and Then in Australia. Or reading magazines like Frontiers, Hard Roxx. Or my mate of mine used write in Impress

The way Andrew at Pipeworks got his titles what was recommended at Radical.

Pipeworks was great. Probably second only to "Metal for Melbourne" which was the "Mecca" back then.

16 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Pipeworks was great. Probably second only to "Metal for Melbourne" which was the "Mecca" back then.

Andrew outside job from the store was working for A.T.O