The Midnight - Deep Blue

Mr.AOR

• My Little Pony

So stoked for the album. I'm hoping it's similar to Nocturnal in tone. The album title suggests it might. 

Oh wow, that's soon that this'll be out. Awesome. New song is very nice, as per usual. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WE HAVE RETROWAVE FANS HERE???

WOW, I feel like a huge dumbass for not discovering this section of the forum earlier...

I fucking love this band. Absolutely cannot get enough of them. They were one of the first synthwave artists I discovered and I love their melancholic take on nostalgia and the "good old days." I am HEAVILY anticipating the new album!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After a couple of listens, I think it's a very nice album. But you don't expect The Midnight to deliver below par albums. Though none of the songs are on par with their earlier masterpieces like Lost Boy or Sunset or Synthetic, but as an album it's better than their last two releases, with more songs and more songs with vocals on this one. Love it.

Edited by Ponen

Ok now that I have listened to it several times, this is my favourite song and it's a beauty. The last track on the album 'Last Train'. You get the vibe of Los Angeles and Sunset in one song. One of the best songs I have heard so far in 2020.

Super excited to listen to this on vinyl when I receive it which will be hopefully soon (I usually save albums for a first listen on vinyl)!

17 hours ago, Ponen said:

After a couple of listens, I think it's a very nice album. But you don't expect The Midnight to deliver below par albums. Though none of the songs are on par with their earlier masterpieces like Lost Boy or Sunset or Synthetic, but as an album it's better than their last two releases, with more songs and more songs with vocals on this one. Love it.

I thought Kids was pretty good and very unique with the interesting interludes. Nastoligia is strong with the Kids album which I think is what they were going for.

Kids is my personal favorite. It's a very sad album for me but there's a personal connection there and I don't mind the lack of saxophone. I just love the concept, though the accompanying artwork probably has a lot to do with it as well.

Monsters is great, though. I expected to be put off by all the distorted vocals, but I wasn't. This band really does pull off the "mono no aware" theme unlike anyone else, it's so beautiful!