Ronnie Atkins (Pretty Maids) - diagnosed with lung cancer

Crazysam

According to a post on the Pretty Maids FB page, vocalist Ronnie Atkins was recently diagnosed with lung cancer.  

https://www.facebook.com/prettymaids/

We are sorry to announce these bad news

Our brother Ronnie has recently been diagnosed with lung cancer…

This means we will have to cancel all shows announced until the end of January 2020 and we’re all sorry for the inconvenience that might bring.
Right now all plans are on hold, so for the moment we can’t say much more due to the current situation but we will keep you updated.

ALL focus is now on Ronnie's health and undergoing treatment.
We hope for your love and understanding.
/Ken, Rene, Chris and Allan

Ronnies open letter:

STATEMENT

It’s scary how your world can be turned upside down in a couple of weeks.

I went to my doctor for a routine check complaining about some back pains in mid-August.
I then went through numerous scans, bronchoscopy, biopsies etc. and spent a lot of time waiting for answers in uncertainty.
And so finally three weeks ago I found myself diagnosed with lung cancer.

Now this has by all means been a shock to me, my family and those close to me since it came totally unexpected without any typical symptoms and everything just happened and developed so fast lately.

I’m already in treatment and underwent surgery two weeks ago, then spend some 10 days in hospital with pneumonia as a consequence apparently linked to the surgery.

According to the medical staff my prospects are good considering it’s lung cancer. However, I will have to undertake further treatment the next couple of months to be on the safe side.

This means that I unfortunately will have to step back from most musical activities concerts etc. for an indefinite period of time.

I’m going into this with a positive mindset and with the continuing love and support from my family and friends I’m determined to battle this disease the best I can -God willing!

LOVE ❤️
Ronnie Atkins

• My Little Pony

Are we surprised, though? The dude's only 54, but looks 70. Shit news, for sure -- don't get me won't -- but I can't say I'm shocked. 

• 1 year later...

Update from Ronnie yesterday:

As promised a week ago here’s a little update on my current health situation.
I’m not gonna go into details, but just state that unfortunately I’m still battling cancer!! After some pain issues and following a scan just before Easter this year I was told that the cancer had spread and I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, which in principle means incurable!
Now there were two paths I could go by! I could sit down in a corner and feel pity for myself (which I guess I did for a while) or I could try to carry on living and do what I do best and I chose the latter.
So with great back up from my family and true friends I decided to keep on writing music and lyrics plus the fact that I had a lot of ideas/songs that I wanted to get out of my system. So that’s what I’ve been doing on/off for the last couple of months.
That eventually means that some new music is coming from me in the immediate future, but more details on that later.
All that said, I must state that I feel good these days and have done for a while. I still get treatments, mainly immune therapy. I have some permanent pain issues and other sequelaes that I have to deal with! And mentally, I have my good days and my bad days, so be it !
But I feel that I’m in good hands with the doctors and staff who’s treating me, so everything considered I’m in good spirits!
It is what it is and I can’t change that whatsoever, so I simply aim to get the best out of life. 😊
Finally another huuuuge thank to all of you out there who’s been rooting for me and cheering me up through this process ! Means a lot to me 🙏
Love ❤️
Ronnie

• My Little Pony

Damn. I guess I had assumed the cancer was gone. I admire his attitude. Hopefully we still have his voice for a few more years.