Enuff Z'Nuff - Diamond Boy

Stefan

enuffznuffbandjune2018_638.jpg

From Frontiers:

BREAKING NEWS: Enuff Z'Nuff To Release DIAMOND BOY August 10th via Frontiers Music Srl! New track, "Metalheart" Out Now! On The "SiriusXM Hair Nation Tour" In September!

Enuff Z'nuff are the living, breathing example of what a rock 'n roll group should be. Now centered around bass player and vocalist Chip Z'nuff, Enuff Z'nuff are still alive and kicking with a legion of loyal fans, who can't get enough of the band's power pop melded with hard rock stylings. They have proven this once again with the release of their upcoming album "Diamond Boy" which is set for an August 10th release via Frontiers Music Srl.

Today, the first single from the album entitled "Metalheart" has been released. It is available on all streaming services as well as an instant download with digital pre-orders.

"This song is about bullying, mentally-abusive relationships. The song provides the answer on how to overcome adversity and move forward from a bad situation," says Z'nuff.

Pre-order the album & stream the single here: http://radi.al/DiamondBoy

This record is the first Enuff Z'nuff release where Chip handles all of the vocal duties, which was quite a task, but one he was certainly up for: "(Singing on the entire album was) very challenging. I'm taking the place of my brother who I consider one of the greatest singers of our generation. The songs on this record are solid as a boulder," says Chip.

He describes the album as "It's a fresh new chapter that should have been written a long time ago. Picture David Bowie & The Beatles fighting andCheap Trick comes in to break it up."

In addition to Chip Z'nuff, the band features longtime guitarist Tory Stoffregen, ex-Ultravox singer/guitarist Tony Fennell, and Chicago native Daniel Benjamin Hill on drums. Enuff Z'nuff continues to tour and record relentlessly and this new record shows once again what a truly gifted hard / power pop act they are. With no shortage of hooks and awesome songs, "Diamond Boy" is another gem in Enuff Z'Nuff's crown!

EZN_DB_2018_600x600.jpg

Track Listing:
1. Transcendence
2. Diamond Boy
3. Where Did You Go
4. We're All The Same
5. Fire & Ice
6. Down On Luck
7. Metalheart
8. Love Is On The Line
9. Faith, Hope & Luv
10. Dopesick
11. Imaginary Man

Band:
Chip Z'nuff: Singer/ Electric bass guitar
Tony Fennell: Guitar
Tory Stoffregen: Guitar
Dan Hill: Drums

www.enuffznuff.com
www.facebook.com/EnuffZnuffOfficial

Having enjoyed their first 3 albums I've given their other releases at least one spin but most were patchy at best.  With Donnie Vie gone my hopes for a return to form were further reduced and this first track hasn't changed that opinion.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

First impression of the album is it is actually pretty good as it really does capture that classic EZN sound.

It is amazing to think that this is actually the first studio album without Donnie on it considering how long Monaco then Chip have been the vocalists.

Chip had always had a similar vocal style to Donnie anyway, albeit a bit gruffer and not as refined, and on here there are times when you might even think Donnie was still involved, but a lot of that is achieved by autotune for certain.

The vocals all through this album are autotuned to the point it does become somewhat distracting. I do think though that it does give it that more "trippy" 60s vibe, which with a band like this, actually kinda works.

None of the songs on this will go down as classics, and it really does lose that emotional depth you get with Donnie, but it is certainly a good addition to their catalogue.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New album isn't bad, but also isn't something I'll likely spin much.  Fans of the band may also enjoy the new single by E Z N w/ Donnie Vie and Johnny Monaco called "Trouble Maker".   I think it is a bit closer to the band's earlier sound 

7 hours ago, Crazysam said:

New album isn't bad, but also isn't something I'll likely spin much.  Fans of the band may also enjoy the new single by E Z N w/ Donnie Vie and Johnny Monaco called "Trouble Maker".   I think it is a bit closer to the band's earlier sound 

Much better. Thanks for posting this.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

Sounds more like Enuff Z'Nuff than Enuff Z'Nuff. :lol:

Definitely. 100 times over. Kind of okay tune. 

As I have said in the past. Chip's vocals are not a million miles away from Donnie's, but uses way to much autotune, and there is no replacement for Donnie. As soon as you hear Donnie sing his new song, you know it is him even if nobody told you who it was.

Chip's new album is ok, but looks like Donnie is gonna blow his effort away with his album.

Hell, even if it is not all like this it will probably still be better.

• 1 month later...

Got my advance digital copy of the Donnie album and it is defo not an EZN album by any means, with that above song being the only one that really captures that classic sound. Much like most of his releases, this is a more laid back affair for the most part but does have some great songs on it.

As expected, a much better album than the EZN one, but would certainly not appeal to everyone.

Unsurprisingly the Beatles and Cheap Trick influences are on show here as well.

If you are familiar with the rest of his solo career, then that is pretty much what is on offer here as well.

The more I listen to this Donnie album the more it starts to sound like the more classic EZN sound.

Songs like Fallin through the pages, Plain Jane & Breaking me down certainly fit into this style.

Personally for me this is the best solo album he has done.

• 2 months later...

Well I am certainly glad that I got the digital copy of the Donnie album last year as the current debacle with Pledge music has meant that all physical orders are severely delayed.

Hopefully this will get a proper release soon.

• 5 months later...