Raw Silk - The Borders Of Light

Stefan

It really is sad that we live on opposite ends of the world.

Ah but it really is a small world
You wanna pay for my flight?

My money's on me.

Glen, you should pay for the flights. If Nolan is victorious, I will reimburse you for the entire expense. When he is not, you can pay for his corpse to be transported back to Canada, or I can just get rid of it somewhere. I'm cool either way. ;)

Ha ha you 2 crack me up....keyboard warriors

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who's interested - plus for a bit of blatant self promotion as I really would love honest feedback on what people think - German internet radio station Rock Chicks Radio is going to play songs from RAW SILK's The Borders of Light on their Easy Monday show tomorrow night 24th April (8pm-10pm German time) as an Album of the Week feature. :guitar:

They'll be playing music by these bands + others during the show too: Wild Rose, Cacumen (Bonfire), 10 Rogue, Wolfpakk, Yasmin Hofer (aka Yasi), Mystic Prophecy, SOULHUNTER

Website = http://rockchicks-radio.de

There are soundbites from all the tracks at www.Rawsilk-official.com too in case anyone is just dying to check it out and doesn't happen to speak German or have time/inclination to sit through a full show.

I figured here might be okay to post about it seeing as the thread was on topic

For anyone who's interested - plus for a bit of blatant self promotion as I really would love honest feedback on what people think - German internet radio station Rock Chicks Radio is going to play songs from RAW SILK's The Borders of Light on their Easy Monday show tomorrow night 24th April (8pm-10pm German time) as an Album of the Week feature. :guitar:

They'll be playing music by these bands + others during the show too: Wild Rose, Cacumen (Bonfire), 10 Rogue, Wolfpakk, Yasmin Hofer (aka Yasi), Mystic Prophecy, SOULHUNTER

There are soundbites from all the tracks at www.Rawsilk-official.com too in case anyone is just dying to check it out and doesn't happen to speak German or have time/inclination to sit through a full show.

Thanks, checking samples...

Cheers mrbandwidth. You will let me know your opinion (good or bad) won't you?

Sure, but first they have a new video:

And about my opinion, here it is: well it's difficult to judge only by samples (except the 2 full tracks) but I notice a quite different style from their previous album Silk Under The Skin (1990), which was basically the typical Melodic Hard Rock style of 80's era; this one is heavier in instruments and slower in tempo, certainly I checked the real duration of the tracks by searching in google and are beyond 5 minutes in nearly all of them (and one of 12 mins). The good points are that is different to most albums of modern MHR out there, the vocal choruses, and songwriting is more mature than their previous; the bad that most of the songs don't seem very catchy. The tracks/samples that I liked most are One Lifetime, Nobody Fills The Loneliness, Chimera, and The Borders Of Light (though this one being 12 minutes, I don't know how it would be complete).

And about my opinion, here it is: well it's difficult to judge only by samples (except the 2 full tracks) but I notice a quite different style from their previous album Silk Under The Skin (1990), which was basically the typical Melodic Hard Rock style of 80's era; this one is heavier in instruments and slower in tempo, certainly I checked the real duration of the tracks by searching in google and are beyond 5 minutes in nearly all of them (and one of 12 mins). The good points are that is different to most albums of modern MHR out there, the vocal choruses, and songwriting is more mature than their previous; the bad that most of the songs don't seem very catchy. The tracks/samples that I liked most are One Lifetime, Nobody Fills The Loneliness, Chimera, and The Borders Of Light (though this one being 12 minutes, I don't know how it would be complete).

Thanks for the feedback mrbandwidth, really appreciate you taking the time! :)

I noticed the other day that it's available on Spotify now if you did fancy hearing the whole thing (but no pressure if you weren't tempted to hear more after the samples + if it's not your 'thing'). I think Kostas will be pleased to hear it has a more mature sound as he was only 20 I think when he wrote Silk Under the Skin and did a music degree since then.

Chimera and the Borders of Light are my favourites! (+ I do the female vocals on Chimera B) )

• 2 weeks later...

Good write-up. I'd more or less agree with most of that. For me, the main issue I'd have, which I guess is where I started in this thread... is just that it is so far removed from the original sound. There's just no way in the world you'd ever link the two albums unless, like us, you were advised that the drummer and song writer is the same chap on both albums. Because musically, and song-wise, they are so far removed from each other.

I get the whole different times and era and therefore musical output changes... but I guess that was why I was originally questioning the use of the Raw Silk name for this project. For the record, I did think 'Nobody Fills the Loneliness' was a pretty cool tune with a solid hook... but to be honest, not much else on this one spoke to me.

Like mrband says, the songs are definitely not as catchy and are a much slower tempo overall.

Thanks for taking the time Geoff! :D

I love and am fascinated by how varied each individual's opinions and tastes in music are and yet then you sometimes find pieces that almost everyone agrees on (though I don't think we've found any perfect songs that everyone on this site agrees are 10/10 yet).

Like the other thread where Sound of Silence was being seriously dissed :yuck: ; now for me that is one of those songs that I love as it taught me how to sing harmonies (along with the Everly Brothers' hits).

Re The Borders of Light, to me, the slower tempo thing could be a metaphor for the fact that we’re slowing down as we get older and the release of this album - being so long after the 1st one - is like representing the next major stage of the road through life...?... but I’m not sure that’s what Kostas was aiming for so - as that’s potentially straying into 'concept album' territory which is beyond me and not really my thing (I’m more of a ‘do I like it musically or not’ kind of gal) maybe I shouldn't explore that route too closely.

I do know there was discussion as to whether to release as Raw Silk or not but he definitely saw this 2nd album as a continuation or natural progression of Silk Under the Skin which is, I think, what decided him in the end.

Thanks for listening to it and commenting though. Probably one of the main 'goals' of a musician is to get his/her creation heard and they'd have to be a bit :screwy: to believe that everyone is gonna like it......

oh, I've just shown Kostas what I was writing + he says :

"I consciously wanted to move away from the upbeat feeling of the 1st album and create something heavier which is why it is also slower in tempo."

He was also telling me the stories of when Silk Under the Skin (+ First Attack by Spitfire) were 1st released and the negative comments and reviews they got at the time. I wasn't there for any of that period

Yeah, that's the thing. A certain group of people who hated the debut may love this new one. But vice versa, I am not sure many people who loved the debut will connect as well with this one.

That said, if these people have evolved in the same way as your husband, they may be on the same page as he is. I only heard the debut long after the fact and I still think it's awesome.

Like I've said earlier on, I do really hope the album goes well for you guys. At the end of the day, if he, and you, are happy with the album it doesn't really matter what a bunch of internet tools think of it anyway. ;)

Yeah, that's the thing. A certain group of people who hated the debut may love this new one. But vice versa, I am not sure many people who loved the debut will connect as well with this one.

That said, if these people have evolved in the same way as your husband, they may be on the same page as he is. I only heard the debut long after the fact and I still think it's awesome.

Like I've said earlier on, I do really hope the album goes well for you guys. At the end of the day, if he, and you, are happy with the album it doesn't really matter what a bunch of internet tools think of it anyway. ;)

Cheers Geoff. I'll tell him your comment re the debut album - I know he really appreciates that people still listen and love that one too. :tumbsup:

The new album is getting some pretty high reviews which is great but I do love to hear the negatives too - it all potentially helps for when/if he decides to work on another album

• 4 weeks later...

Yaaay I love this review by the rocktologist. Wonder whether the album would have benefited from a couple more upbeat tracks as he suggests? Certainly will be worth considering for any follow up albums. In the meantime, 17/20 puts a big smile on our faces

http://www.therocktologist.com/raw-silk---the-borders-of-light.html

• 1 month later...

Ohhhh what naughtiness!! Who's been uploading the whole album? :yikes: Guess I shouldn't endorse such wickedness but I can't help being secretly proud and excited that there are listeners who love it and feel it's worth sharing, I hope i never forget that feeling. Plus, I guess it's freely available on Spotify too anyway. (And it's not like I've never taken advantage of hearing free downloads :whistle: )

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Hey Silverkin. That wouldn't happen to be you on keyboards by any chance?

Awwww I was just logging on to post the link in case anyone was interested in seeing it. And yep that's me (pretending) to play keyboards Darkstone :P

Cheers Stefan for posting it!!!

Would love to know what people think of course, as usual

• 2023 Gold Donors
16 hours ago, Silverkin said:

Awwww I was just logging on to post the link in case anyone was interested in seeing it. And yep that's me (pretending) to play keyboards Darkstone :P

Cheers Stefan for posting it!!!

Would love to know what people think of course, as usual

Good stuff. You were great! Will we see lead vocal duties down the track?

Also.... I was getting a bit of a Linda McCartney/Yoko Ono vibe. ;)

Just joking of course. You should be really happy with it. I'm guessing not many of us here have actually performed on a bonafide music video. You're livin' the dream mate.

9 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Good stuff. You were great! Will we see lead vocal duties down the track?

Also.... I was getting a bit of a Linda McCartney/Yoko Ono vibe. ;)

Just joking of course. You should be really happy with it. I'm guessing not many of us here have actually performed on a bonafide music video. You're livin' the dream mate.

haha, lead vocals I think not - my voice is too weak for that unfortunately.

It was definitely fun recording it. I practiced a bit of synth playing beforehand to try and look convincing as I'm a pianist really which I didn't realise is played completely differently to a synth - it was a good job Kostas warned me.

Wish I'd practiced in front of a mirror too - as recommended - so I wasn't quite so 'bouncy' but overall I think it turned out really well. Chris on vocals did an awesome job - there were no shots of him that would have been unusable.

If you ever get the chance to be in a music video I can definitely recommend it even if it wasn't something that was gonna be released