Thin Lizzy - WTF?

Gibbo

It's 30 years since Phil Lynott shuffled off this mortal coil, and 40 years since 'Jailbreak' was released … so Thin Lizzy are heading back out on the UK festival circuit this summer in celebration/commemoration with a line-up featuring Scott Gorham (so far, so good), Darren Wharton (who played keyboards on 'Renegade' and 'Thunder And Lightning'), Ricky Warwick, Damon Johnson, Tom Hamilton (yes, the Aerosmith bassist) and Scott Travis (yes, Judas Priest's drummer) (I think Europe's drummer is joining them in Europe.)

It's not often that I get REALLY annoyed about stuff like this (the ongoing AC/DC-Axl Rose car crash notwithstanding), but HOW is THIS 'Thin Lizzy'?

Remember, musician used to live on royalty but not so much these days and they got bills to pay so I think gig is the only way out.

Quite sad to see this situation but I think in the next 3-4 years, we'll see a lot of reunion and revival of old bands, some are doin' it for the sake of music, and some of course, only for cash

Funny, I was going to start a thread about this but with a more positive slant.

We have to accept we're at an age where Ill health and sadly even death will prevent us ever hearing live many many songs. Perhaps it's a good thing that old school pool together at times and keep the songs going. Maybe that doesn't need to be the same band name but I do like the thought that the songs are getting aired by some of the originals from the bands.

It's 30 years since Phil Lynott shuffled off this mortal coil, and 40 years since 'Jailbreak' was released … so Thin Lizzy are heading back out on the UK festival circuit this summer in celebration/commemoration with a line-up featuring Scott Gorham (so far, so good), Darren Wharton (who played keyboards on 'Renegade' and 'Thunder And Lightning'), Ricky Warwick, Damon Johnson, Tom Hamilton (yes, the Aerosmith bassist) and Scott Travis (yes, Judas Priest's drummer) (I think Europe's drummer is joining them in Europe.)

It's not often that I get REALLY annoyed about stuff like this (the ongoing AC/DC-Axl Rose car crash notwithstanding), but HOW is THIS 'Thin Lizzy'?

Ive seen this line up live [well Gorham & Warwick] - they are OK, but in my opinion you are better off seeing Limehouse Lizzy.

They might be a tribute band but they are fantastic and about as close as you will ever get to the real thing.

Once all the original members of a band are gone...the band is a tribute band....once even half the members are gone they are a different band and should probably change their name....

..Which was the main reasons they decided to change the name from Thin Lizzy and evolved into the Black Star Riders, which was the correct decision. Along with Bon, now Phl is rolling in his grave unfortunately.

I still think it's wrong to use the Thin Lizzy name for this.

Once all the original members of a band are gone...the band is a tribute band....once even half the members are gone they are a different band and should probably change their name....

..Which was the main reasons they decided to change the name from Thin Lizzy and evolved into the Black Star Riders, which was the correct decision. Along with Bon, now Phl is rolling in his grave unfortunately.

Given that they've been going out as Black Star Riders for some time now (and have released two decent albums under that name), I think they should've billed these gigs as a 'celebration' of Phil and 'Jailbreak' ... rather than pretend to be something they're not.

How would people feel if, say, Aerosmith carried on without Tyler and Perry? Or Maiden with only Dave Murray from the 'classic' line up?

Ive seen this line up live [well Gorham & Warwick] - they are OK, but in my opinion you are better off seeing Limehouse Lizzy.

They might be a tribute band but they are fantastic and about as close as you will ever get to the real thing.

I've seen Limehouse Lizzy, and they were fantastic! :)

This "Thin Lizzy" is about as legit as the current "Quiet Riot" ... which is to say, not at all.