The Cult - Hidden City - Due 5th Feb 2016

PeterS

• 1 month later...

Preordered the limited edition vinyl package with cd and t shirt. I grabbed Dark Energy from ITunes and have been listening to it non stop. Was planning on waiting 'til the Feb. release date to hear the rest but couldn't resist. Absolutely love Deeply Ordered Chaos. A lot of layers to it.

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for the tour!

Absolutely hate it, as expected. :(

To your credit, Geoff, regardless of your past experiences with an artist you always check back to see if they might finally surprise you with a listenable track.

Oh definitely, mate. Cher, Michael Bolton, Cheap Trick and Alice Cooper (for a start) are glowing endorsements for the fact that even completely terrible artists can release good albums, if the stars align.

Listening to modern rock is a mind-fuck too. Bands like Funeral For A Friend used to be godly to me, after their first 3 CDs. For many more than 3 albums now, they have been absolute dog shit. But I will try every single new album they ever release and hope they capture their early magic one day. But a lot of modern rock is like that and you learn from it.

Back in the days of my youth, I was a BIG fan of The Cult - Dreamtime, Love, Electric, Sonic Temple, Ceremony ... loved 'em all ... I lost interest in them after that, but I live in hope they'll put out an album with more killer than filler, so I'll give this a listen ...

• 1 month later...

So. In line with my thoughts about everything since Ceremony, it's OK with a few good songs but I miss the consistency. Too many moody songs. I want rip and tear songs like Love Removal Machine.

I'll give it a few spins but fully expect to return to the Nordic Union shortly.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed a bunch of the songs on this record......but, then again, I'm a fan of the Cult from their Pre-Cult and initial Cult tunes. To me their venture into 'mainstream hard rock' was good...but I enjoyed Love the best. This album is pretty good......could have used a bit more upbeat sounds, etc. I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.

Oh....of course Ian Astbury sounds a little like Morrison...that's been the case since they started! lol

They need Bob Rock and do a follow up to Sonic Temple.... Awesome album, nothing else by them is worth owning imo.

They did, it was called Beyond Good and Evil (2001)...and it was f***in' badass!

That said....I still haven't heard the new Cult, or their last one (Choice of Weapon) either... I kinda lost track of em after the rather blah "Born into This"...