Skull Fist - how did I miss this one

jondavis

• My Little Pony

The name looks familiar. Did someone post this already? Anyway, you set them up pretty big with those two comparisons, and thankfully that song didn't disappoint. Another Canadian band I'll have to keep a look out for shows.

Music = unexpectedly good.

Band name = epically poor.

Band logo = worse.

Name and logo invokes mid-1980s indie thrash. Not a bad thing in and of itself, but it implies something the band is not, so there may be a disconnect with a potential audience.

This is straight hair metal.

Oh holy shit, that's my kind of shit. So what's the story, and is there an album and where is it and why is it not in my ears? Love the dude's voice; love the band's sound. Very, very cool. Google, here I come!

Just had a quick look, and it looks like they have two studio albums out and a new one planned. It also sounds like this above tune might be an exception, though, and that they're more scabby throwaway NWOBHM style metal orientated. Some of those song names don't hold much hope for me, but I will definitely make it my mission to hear these two albums to find out for sure.

Here's the wikipedia write-up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skull_Fist

Not sure if you can get it there, but there are three Skull Fist albums in Spotify:

Chasing the Dream (2014)

Head of the Pack (2011)

Heavier than Metal EP (2010)

And yes, the earlier material is more primitive metal than hard rock.

Spotify is my go-to whenever someone mentions something I haven't heard. They are surprisingly complete and get a lot of indie releases.

Sadly no Care of Night, which I have yet to be able to hear.

Cool, thanks for the tip. I'm not sure if we can get Spotify here either - sounds like pimple cream - but I'll have these in my ears soon.

Listened to all 3 albums today. "Chasing the Dream" is a huge step up from "Head of the Pack" and the EP, both musically and sonically.

The earlier material is more straight ahead metal/thrash, but the new album while definitely "melodic metal" at its core, has much better riffs, song structure, and the solos are quite good. Spotify has the most recent album as a 2014 release though, not 2015.

EDIT: Full album on Youboob:

Music = unexpectedly good.

Band name = epically poor.

Band logo = worse.

Name and logo invokes mid-1980s indie thrash. Not a bad thing in and of itself, but it implies something the band is not, so there may be a disconnect with a potential audience.

This is straight hair metal.

That about sums it up....

• 7 months later...