High pitch vocals

Monzter

Fran Cosmo really hits some high notes in Orion the Hunter's mega fantastic song "So You Ran". Once you heard that song you want to hear more. Best high pitch vocalist ever? If not, prove me wrong with some examples. There are probably some guy out there who can hit even higher notes, but it has to sound good as well.

• My Little Pony

The high note comes a bit after 4:00. The reason I posted a non-Rock song is Philip Bailey was 62 when he recorded this, and live, he's hitting whistle register. It's mind boggling.

OK, You said not just singers who hit high registers, just overall quality, right? well these are my absolute all time favorites, who I obviously believe are as good if not better, strangely enough Mr. Cosmo fell into my list, just under different circumstances, These are the best of the best to my ears, obviously there's dips into other genres who go in my list, but I am sticking only to rock and metal, not just high registers, but overall training, and just flow of voice, and class,these guys are not singers, they are vocalists!!

I left the obvious out, the ones everybody basically agree on, regardless of metal or rock affiliation, there's the one group that AOR, Melodic, Sleaze, Glam, Power, and all other styles agree on, Vocalists you don't really even need to discuss, like Halford,Tate,Free,Vescera,Soto,Boremann,and vocalists in that group.

Here are simply the vocalist who I feel went completely overlooked, and are far more talented then all other mainstream vocalist, their not just great, their the cock of the walk, and most aren't even vaguely familiar with them, my list are vocalists who are disgustingly next to never brought up in greatest vocalist discussions or arguments.

Just go to 2:51 in the song, and you'll hear why Freddi's on my list!

2 of the best vocalists I believe in the world, TOGETHER! ON 1 SONG! HOLY FUCKING SHIT! Tobias Sammett, and Jorn Lande, check out the perfection on 2:40 seconds in to the song, that is as perfect as a voice or vocal performance gets!

You want to tell me how Bill Carter went unnoticed, how it's possible this man went completely unnoticed,never catching even a sliver of notoriety, how a vocalist of this caliber goes completely UNHEARD! then vanishes forever? not only never getting to perform, but never even getting to scrub toilets in a major arena?? UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE!!

Everybody knows what a Sundogs HOMER I am, Vocalist Darren Rogers is the main reason this band is so intriguing, I cant be the only one who feels this way, but it seems I am. Rogers is top of the class for vocalists, Every bit as good if not better then fellow vocalists of his style, I lump Darren Rogers into the same group of vocalists as Brock, Howe, Huff, and icons like them.

This should be a no brainier, a talent whose life was cut horribly short, always dwindling on the fringe of Power/Heavy/Thrash/Metal, Carl Albert stood at least equal, but in most cases he stood far ahead of the majority of greats who performed the same style, sounding pitch perfect, a natural, with an unteachable and very distinguishable voice, A 100% Pro. R.I.P. Carl Albert.

Ironically Fran Cosmo has always been tops of my list, under a different banner, my all time favorite song by Fran,and by Boston,Fran's not only a far superior vocalist then Delp was, but dynamically transforms Bostons sound into a far more natural and fitting sound, Walk On was hands down my favorite Boston album ever, really there's not a close 2nd,Here's Fran showing Boston how they should've sounded from day 1! and giving us what I consider the true Boston sound, and finest Boston song of all time.

Sorry, we aren't judging by the production work on the vocals, you only gave the criteria to sound better then Fran on So You Run, and as far as I'm concerned, this song pretty much stands on it's own vocally, against practically anything in existence!

This is a short list of vocalist I find to be better then the rest, I'm sure nobody will agree with anything I've said here, but ya know what I think of your opinion! that's right, I respect it, and you should just tell me what ones suck, and I will delete them, then tell me what ones are better then these, and I will make them my new favorite songs, thank you for your feedback.

• My Little Pony

Every time I listen to this song, I forget how high he goes, and how long he holds that note.

2 of the best vocalists I believe in the world, TOGETHER! ON 1 SONG! HOLY FUCKING SHIT! Tobias Sammett, and Jorn Lande, check out the perfection on 2:40 seconds in to the song, that is as perfect as a voice or vocal performance gets!

I've said it many times since this album was released, and I'll keep on saying it, this is hands down Jorn's best vocal performance. Absolutely love this song, and the fact my dad does, too, makes it that much better.

Sorry, we aren't judging by the production work on the vocals, you only gave the criteria to sound better then Fran on So You Run, and as far as I'm concerned, this song pretty much stands on it's own vocally, against practically anything in existence!

Didn't you once say you e-mailed Ken Tamplin about this album, and he told you he spent weeks -- maybe months -- getting up early in the morning to record vocals, and layer them? Big Bang was so ridiculously over-produced, and I love it. So few people like this album. I'm one of the few.

OK, You said not just singers who hit high registers, just overall quality, right? well these are my absolute all time favorites, who I obviously believe are as good if not better, strangely enough Mr. Cosmo fell into my list, just under different circumstances, These are the best of the best to my ears, obviously there's dips into other genres who go in my list, but I am sticking only to rock and metal, not just high registers, but overall training, and just flow of voice, and class,these guys are not singers, they are vocalists!!

Spot on!

Some great examples from you, I especially like the Avantasia song. Inspired now to go and listen to some of their albums, haven't done that in a while. Never heard of Magdallan before, but hey, that guy can hit some high notes!

I left the obvious out, the ones everybody basically agree on, regardless of metal or rock affiliation, there's the one group that AOR, Melodic, Sleaze, Glam, Power, and all other styles agree on, Vocalists you don't really even need to discuss, like Halford,Tate,Free,Vescera,Soto,Boremann,and vocalists in that group.

Here are simply the vocalist who I feel went completely overlooked, and are far more talented then all other mainstream vocalist, their not just great, their the cock of the walk, and most aren't even vaguely familiar with them, my list are vocalists who are disgustingly next to never brought up in greatest vocalist discussions or arguments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cv3Fdm1smw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-PkfKZAT6E

You want to tell me how Bill Carter went unnoticed, how it's possible this man went completely unnoticed,never catching even a sliver of notoriety, how a vocalist of this caliber goes completely UNHEARD! then vanishes forever? not only never getting to perform, but never even getting to scrub toilets in a major arena?? UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_0Y3qoSLPs

Everybody knows what a Sundogs HOMER I am, Vocalist Darren Rogers is the main reason this band is so intriguing, I cant be the only one who feels this way, but it seems I am. Rogers is top of the class for vocalists, Every bit as good if not better then fellow vocalists of his style, I lump Darren Rogers into the same group of vocalists as Brock, Howe, Huff, and icons like them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs_MmnBeED4

This should be a no brainier, a talent whose life was cut horribly short, always dwindling on the fringe of Power/Heavy/Thrash/Metal, Carl Albert stood at least equal, but in most cases he stood far ahead of the majority of greats who performed the same style, sounding pitch perfect, a natural, with an unteachable and very distinguishable voice, A 100% Pro. R.I.P. Carl Albert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5gnwLLQbfI

Ironically Fran Cosmo has always been tops of my list, under a different banner, my all time favorite song by Fran,and by Boston,Fran's not only a far superior vocalist then Delp was, but dynamically transforms Bostons sound into a far more natural and fitting sound, Walk On was hands down my favorite Boston album ever, really there's not a close 2nd,Here's Fran showing Boston how they should've sounded from day 1! and giving us what I consider the true Boston sound, and finest Boston song of all time.

https://youtu.be/Lq6tvcZvljo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycrCAq2Wj9o

This is a short list of vocalist I find to be better then the rest, I'm sure nobody will agree with anything I've said here, but ya know what I think of your opinion! that's right, I respect it, and you should just tell me what ones suck, and I will delete them, then tell me what ones are better then these, and I will make them my new favorite songs, thank you for your feedback.

Well mate we don't agree on much but that post makes sense more than any you have ever written. Some brilliant examples there and I'm glad Mr. Curci got a mention in this thread.

Guest MalcolmTucker

I'd never thought about this, but I think that at the very top of my list of castrati would be Mr. Rick Emmett. He doesn't have a pitch as high as Fran Cosmo, but he manages to keep a considerably high tone throughout most of his songs.

Nolan, you are correct, I actually was chatting with him on Facebook, and he told me that, he couldn't even sing for like a week after he wrapped on the BGV's for Radio Bikini, my good friend ran into Ken at Lava Hot Springs in Soda Springs Idaho, and they sat and bullshited I guess for close to 5 hours, just sitting out on the side of the pool while their kids dove off those high ass diving boards, he confirmed the same story when my buddy asked him, he was actually very surprised at how little attention that song/album received, and has never over exerted himself that way since, interesting I thought, almost sounded like he's not even a fan, but I am a huge fan, and that song has long been in my top 10, EVER!! I believe if it had been on Atlantic, or Geffen, it would have probably been bigger then huge, once again, it really didn't pay to be a CCM act and swear off all labels but CCM, but I guess Guardian should have had a huge hit with Fire + Love right? so who knows.

JC, buddy, I think the domestic violence thing really gave you the wrong impression of me, I am a blow hard, I have worked in various forms of media/entertainment for many years, I often am on here typing to a select few people, as you'll see, the replies I receive, are generally from 5 or 6 people, and they are almost always the same people, they are not music related, and are generally negative, or vulgar rants, or smart ass and filthy squares of words that really don't seem to say much other then filth and vulgarity's, this is not by accident, when I do discuss music, which hasn't been a whole lot lately, I am very serious, very sincere, and very scripted, I sometimes will even post an entire reply without 1 swear word, and it wasn't until someone brought it to my attention I even realize how much filth I use, I believe that was you, so until I offended somebody, I really didn't have any need to watch that type of ship, you guys have something in common, we all have it with each other, we are a very select and small group, which basically makes us into a small cult, not really cult, but cult, I can only speak for myself, but I am on here to chat with my like minded brethren, not ostracize and belittle, or bully and bash, I do plenty of that stuff to those fking morons and idiots on Facebook, I do not ever try to have anyone from HH genuinely upset, offended or pissed off with me, I by nature cant always help it, as sometimes as we found out with you, a subject or issue that I truly hold a strong viewpoint or feeling towards comes up, and I do not just back away because of it, but I don't always, or ever for that matter approach it in the most sensitive or compassionate way, it's just not the way I am, but I sincerely believe that you and I probably agree on much more then you believe we do, and also, It's not really a big deal, or doesn't matter a whole lot, but if I ever see someone on here trying to badger, or bully or talk shit to any of my people, I will go after them at record speed, that isn't important outside of it just shows that I care about you people(yes I mean black people)and I am friend not enemy, so you can probably let your guard down, and your view on me, cause im basically just an arrogant blow hard, the few guys on here who get me, respond to me, and everyone else just ignores me I guess, but I really am nothing like I think you think I am, I just thought it might be time to clear that up, OK bro!

I'd never thought about this, but I think that at the very top of my list of castrati would be Mr. Rick Emmett. He doesn't have a pitch as high as Fran Cosmo, but he manages to keep a considerably high tone throughout most of his songs.

He does, I think Fight The Good Fight demonstrates this the best, but he kind of dropped that style of singing, and went more rock sounding, as in Tears In The Rain, but he is one of the more elite voices in rock, and while we speak of elite Canadian voices, I always thought Cory Hart squandered what could have been a truly fulfilling voice for our kind of music, while Mr. Michael Saddler clearly sits as my top dog on list of not only vocalists from up north, but favorite ever!!

Guest MalcolmTucker

I've never listened to Corey Hart's stuff apart from a song that a friend of mine used to dig. Think it was titled 'Sunglasses at Night', and in that song Hart had the voice of a second rate punk band singer. However, I'm always open to suggestions about what to listen. Especially if he's Canadian. Those guys always deliver, mate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TOi-C2pwSQ

He does, I think Fight The Good Fight demonstrates this the best, but he kind of dropped that style of singing, and went more rock sounding, as in Tears In The Rain, but he is one of the more elite voices in rock, and while we speak of elite Canadian voices, I always thought Cory Hart squandered what could have been a truly fulfilling voice for our kind of music, while Mr. Michael Saddler clearly sits as my top dog on list of not only vocalists from up north, but favorite ever!!

More that I agree with! Both great vocalists. Really dig Corey Hart especially. Don't worry Leykis I'm not trying to rock the boat, just trying to have fun. In fact I think I'm actually starting to get your humour and appreciate your way of thinking / writing...just took a while. ?

I was gunna say... how can you have a thread about high-pitched vocals without any mention of Jim Gilette.

And some King Diamond.

Echo the praise of Triumph. Thunder Seven is one of my favorite classic albums.

The "over the top" vocal layering and production of the KenTamplin material is what drove me to be a fan.

Dan, it wasn't JUST SCREAMING HIGH PITCHED VOCALS!!! we were trying to keep it at high pitched vocals, who also carry the edge of having an incredible voice to go with it, make sense? Jim Gillette is just a little bit over the top, same reason I never mentioned Diamond, who I also believe goes in that group we had decided to leave out, the group that are just commonly agreed on by everyone when discussing amazing vocalists, I went by this, find whatever or whoever it is you deem an "amazing vocalist" for most people this would be the vocalist who hit's the highest registers, now what I did was I looked for them in a ballad, as I think a ballad is any true vocalists most vulnerable position, that goes for any kind of vocalist, when I did this I was absolutely floored at how many "amazing vocalists" I had to eliminate out of the list, and to my surprise, discovered just how many of these kind of vocalists, never recorded a ballad, I have to think this has to have some kind of a line drawn to it, I hardly believe it's pure coincidence, I don't have all of Diamonds stuff, but I have the 1st 2 of his discs, and a few Mercyful discs, and nowhere do I hear him do a pure ballad, so I myself really don't have a full fledged grasp on what the mans overall voice sounds like, I was told that Screamers Bill Carter was trained by Diamond, no clue to the validity of that, but I know it's hardly something I could laugh off or dismiss as being untrue, one of the MOST EXTREME!! examples of this, I think would be to take anything Phil Anselmo has done, then go back to Cemetery Gates, Shattered, and The Sleep off of CFH, or even Rock The World, off Power Metal, and listen to what a pure voice Phil has, who would know that? who would believe that? just as I always believe these new American puke guitarists make fun of, and don't play solos not because they are "fucking for old guys, or uncool" like you hear them so much say, I always am a little more suspect then that, I just flat believe it's cause they aren't good enough to play a solo, so they A. Don't Play A Solo, and follow up with, whats the best way to divert attention away from something? they implant B. Bashing and Denigrating the Solo and calling negative attention to it in order to make it "uncool" and then they drop the subject, leaving them protected from being called out to play a solo, cause I'm more from the time of no solos then I am from solos, but by measure of musical knowledge, both playing and listening, the solo wasn't that of which was used to "be cool" or "fit in"I always heard and if it was good enough felt the solo as a chain in the song, and given the write solo was used, which was very rarely, it was also something that could be felt!! while many just used it to show off their playing for speed sadness created by many lonely nights sitting at home, getting no pussy, getting no friends, sucking at video games, so just playing playing playing while their peers developed socially, i was not impressed by playing for speed, if done right, it's the ultimate, but very few ever did it right, and vocals are the same exact way, so my diatribe here is just explaining that this thread was looking for more or less that overall perfect vocalist, that's how I took it anyway, now watch I am completely off my fucking rocker, and he did just want high soaring vocals, like the title claims, is there any emoticon hanging by a noose? or sticking a 45 in their mouth??

I've never listened to Corey Hart's stuff apart from a song that a friend of mine used to dig. Think it was titled 'Sunglasses at Night', and in that song Hart had the voice of a second rate punk band singer. However, I'm always open to suggestions about what to listen. Especially if he's Canadian. Those guys always deliver, mate.

Well I never liked Hart growing up, as ive gotten older, for whatever reason have almost fallen into the Hi-Tech AOR genre, at a sickening pace, it's like when I was young it was just shitty pop music that my step dad plays, as I progressed and my musical knowledge became larger and larger, one day it stuck, I realized that many of those so called "Pop" bands, were not pop bands, they were pop songs(arguably)on pop radio stations, but far from pop music, pop music is Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake, Flock Of Seagulls, Wham!(2nd fav group ever)many of those 80's "pop"songs were developing their entirely new, and their own, genre, it's just at that time to my knowledge, I believe?? that classification had yet to be classified, so it was like an entirely new genre of music was being born, a lot of that stuff, it's very complicated to play, maybe not as in difficult, but you definitely had to be a certain type of musician to even listen to it, let alone play it, which I believe is why it really doesn't have a whole lot of albums filling it's shelves, this has been my interpretation of it has evolved anyways, I have an ex-step father who worked in L.A. as a studio musician since 1979, who has played it for years! and scoffs at me when I call it Hi-Tech AOR, he calls it Contemporary, which in turn I scoff at, I don't know that everyone on here likes Hi-Tech? but I know a few do, so when I started falling into this sickness of it about 2 years ago, which was when he was visiting, and brought a bunch of the discs he played on, I started realizing, the shit he was playing growing up, it wasn't shitty ass pop music, it was this brilliant low key type stuff, which eluded a name until I discovered the name I now call it, I don't know if you like that kind of shit mr. Malcom Trucker! if that is indeed your real name? but Cory Hart was very much involved in this setting, even being one of those few who seem to bring new wave sounds into it, Canadians I believe were the only ones responsible for doing that? Body Electric and some others, but I hated Sunglasses At Night, until I started to enjoy that type of music, then all of the sudden, I appreciated his work, not all of it, but I listened to what a uniquely brilliant and mega talented vocalist he was, I think he squandered it, as he really could have been a gnarly hard rock pure aor vocalist, but I really like Sunglasses At Night now, maybe it was my bias against shitty pop rock on the radio, so I always just viewed and heard it as that, but I certainly think he's better then Bryan Adams, and ive seen those 2 hailed as Canada's all time male vocalist, never seeing Hart ever, capture that title over Adams, so it's probably just a huge popularity vote, but this one is the one that officially won me over as a Hart fan.

Guest MalcolmTucker

I'm not particularly fond of that style, but as you say Leykis101, it's plain that it's more complex that common pop songs.

Btw, it's not nice you all have left this fella out of this thread:

He doesn't usually sing with a high pitch, but sometimes he hits very high notes and I think he has a greater vocal range than many other singers.