Great Guitarists That Turned To Crap

Just thinking about how awful George Lynch is now-a-days made me come up with this new topic for discussion.

What other great guitarists are not great at all anymore.

3 off the top of my head:

George Lynch

John Norum

Akira Takasaki

One of my favorites was Stevie Blaze of Lillian Axe. He shredded his way to perfection on Poetic Justice, but his modern sound is all muffled and grungy, hasn't had a killer solo in years.

One of my favorites was Stevie Blaze of Lillian Axe. He shredded his way to perfection on Poetic Justice, but his modern sound is all muffled and grungy, hasn't had a killer solo in years.

Yeah, agree with that one. Although the last disc was an slight improvement.

Marty Friedman. He was one of the best as the member of Megadeth. After he quit he's just boring as hell without his (once) remarkable and unique style. Sad.

Oh, yeah! Great choice. Loved him in Megadeth. But WTF since? Totally CRAP.

Michael Schenker ... I used to LOVE his stuff, but these days he's more 'miss' than 'hit', sadly ...

Michael Schenker ... I used to LOVE his stuff, but these days he's more 'miss' than 'hit', sadly ...

material wise maybe, but when i saw him at Riga (up close!) a couple or more years back he smoked. Weird guy, but he smoked. Amazing guitarist.

Just thinking about how awful George Lynch is now-a-days made me come up with this new topic for discussion.

George Lynch

John Norum

Akira Takasaki

Are we talking about playing ability or what they write nowadays?

material wise maybe, but when i saw him at Riga (up close!) a couple or more years back he smoked. Weird guy, but he smoked. Amazing guitarist.

I've had tickets to see him a couple of times, and each time the gig has been cancelled at the last minute ... so I didn't bother when he played Riga ... stupid, STUPID boy! :(

I've had tickets to see him a couple of times, and each time the gig has been cancelled at the last minute ... so I didn't bother when he played Riga ... stupid, STUPID boy! :(

Yeah we were very very worried as we walked up to the venue, but then saw a huge blue Merc parked by a (smallish) gig lorry....so breathed a sigh of relief.

He did pull out of Legends at the Cliffs though, and without him the gig was pretty useless.

George Lynch

John Norum

Akira Takasaki

For me usually one inevitably leads to the other..... Playing, output and also their tone or lack thereof. Sometimes they don't even bother trying to get a good sound

I'm not so sure. For instance David Gilmour hasn't put out anything magical in quite a while but he can still really nail those great Floyd solos these days

George Lynch

John Norum

Akira Takasaki

I would say how they are playing today compared to how they used to play.

Guest theczar

Judas Priest are a shadow of their 80's glory.

Glenn & KK were jaw dropping on the likes of The Sentinal, Love Bites, Out In The Cold and Blood Red Skies, to name a handful of genius moments.

Painkiller the album was patchy, but the title track is simply the greatest metal track ever to these ears.

Since then? Sob!

I wouldn't put Norum on this list but there are plenty for sure.

You could basically call this the John Norum thread as he and Lynch are the epitome of great guitarists who turned to complete crud. Pre-1992 both were amazing. Since then, basically unlistenable with very few exceptions.

Kendall is a pretty good call too. I wouldn't say he's terrible, but he definitely lost his touch. I used to absolutely love this stuff (and still do; the old Great White discs)... but he just does nothing at all for me these days.

I've been thinking about this and all the guitarists mentioned can play better than i can and i consider myself crap :)

My cat can play guitar better than me, but neither he nor I get paid to do it. ;)

I've been thinking about this and all the guitarists mentioned can play better than i can and i consider myself crap :)

My cat can play guitar better than me, but neither he nor I get paid to do it. ;)

I'd pay to see that though ;)

And if the cat doesn't sing in English, why would you listen to it anyway?