Tony Harnell quits TNT...again.

Stefan

There is no way I could pick a favorite 15. I am surprised though that more don't mention "Knights" and "Realized Fantasy".

You trippin', man? 'Realized Fantasies' is there. I love TNT, but I hate 'Knights.' It is an awful CD and not representative of their sound and style at all. I do actually like 'Break the ice,' but dislike the rest of the disc proper.

There is no way I could pick a favorite 15. I am surprised though that more don't mention "Knights" and "Realized Fantasy".

You trippin', man? 'Realized Fantasies' is there. I love TNT, but I hate 'Knights.' It is an awful CD and not representative of their sound and style at all. I do actually like 'Break the ice,' but dislike the rest of the disc proper.

Funnily enough, 'Knights ...' is the only TNT disc I own ... trust me to go flying in the face of popular opinion (again!)

Funnily enough, 'Knights ...' is the only TNT disc I own ... trust me to go flying in the face of popular opinion (again!)

No worries, Geoff was dropped on his head many times as a child :)

Knights was when they were more metal to me and I love all of it. Every song is awesome and the cd cranks with great production.

Knights was when they were more metal to me and I love all of it. Every song is awesome and the cd cranks with great production.

I love the album ... I bought it on good ol' vinyl after reading a review in 'Kerrang!' magazine ... yes, kids, I'm THAT old ...

Okay, spun all the discs today and "hate" is way too strong a word for 'Knights.' The thing I have to remember is that it was 1984, they were a brand new band. If you take it for what it is, okay, I admit it, it's okay. 'Break the ice' is a cool rocker, 'Without your love' is actually a pretty good ballad and 'Seven seas' and 'Ready to leave' are both decent too. I do dislike the rest, but it's not the worst ever. Definitely the weakest TNT disc, but that's a given.

It is a very good discography. Some extremely good albums hurt every time by that one or two weak song, but I love the band as they are. LeTekro is no doubt a great talent, but you can't deny that Harnell is the reason that guy ever reached the "masses" with his music. Without Harnell his music is horrific, yet with Harnell, it was quite magic, the two of them together. One of the great partnerships. So many classic songs. The one comment Glen made that stood out for me as so, so, so wrong (and later explained by the fact that he actually hadn't really heard the band) was that there were no hooks in their music aside from '10,000 Lovers.' Probably the most incorrect statement I've ever read in my life. These guys lived and breathed incredible hooks, none more evident on their partially brilliant sell-out disc, 'Firefly.' They may have modernised the music, but the hooks on that disc are absolutely divine. 'Tripping,' 'Soldier of the light' and 'Sunless Star,' amongst others, are some of my favourite TNT tracks.

Anyway, here's how I ranked their discography:

1. Tell No Tales - 1987 - 86%

2. Transistor - 1999 - 86%
3. My Religion - 2004 - 83%
4. Intuition - 1989 - 83%
5. Firefly - 1996 - 79%
6. All The Way To The Sun - 2005 - 77%
7. Realized Fantasies - 1992 - 76%

8. Knights Of The New Thunder - 1984 - 62%

I assume the placement of 'Realized Fantasies' may ruffle a few feathers, but to explain... The first 5 songs are great. Love them all. The next five? All awful. 'All you need' has a moment in the chorus, but otherwise, the disc is the most perfect example of two opposite halves there is. Shame. Anyway, great band.

Still so surprised you never heard them properly, Glen. Listening today brought back good memories of my intro to melodic rock. I started with all the "typical" US bands, but I still remember the two songs that were basically the gateway to European / Scandi melodic rock. The two epitomes of that style. And those two songs were (and still are, to me) 'Love Cries' by Stage Dolls, and 'Intuition' by TNT.

To think of a CD collection without the 'Intuition' album... it's just not a proper collection until that's in there. ;)

Okay, spun all the discs today and "hate" is way too strong a word for 'Knights.' The thing I have to remember is that it was 1984, they were a brand new band. If you take it for what it is, okay, I admit it, it's okay. 'Break the ice' is a cool rocker, 'Without your love' is actually a pretty good ballad and 'Seven seas' and 'Ready to leave' are both decent too. I do dislike the rest, but it's not the worst ever. Definitely the weakest TNT disc, but that's a given.

It is a very good discography. Some extremely good albums hurt every time by that one or two weak song, but I love the band as they are. LeTekro is no doubt a great talent, but you can't deny that Harnell is the reason that guy ever reached the "masses" with his music. Without Harnell his music is horrific, yet with Harnell, it was quite magic, the two of them together. One of the great partnerships. So many classic songs. The one comment Glen made that stood out for me as so, so, so wrong (and later explained by the fact that he actually hadn't really heard the band) was that there were no hooks in their music aside from '10,000 Lovers.' Probably the most incorrect statement I've ever read in my life. These guys lived and breathed incredible hooks, none more evident on their partially brilliant sell-out disc, 'Firefly.' They may have modernised the music, but the hooks on that disc are absolutely divine. 'Tripping,' 'Soldier of the light' and 'Sunless Star,' amongst others, are some of my favourite TNT tracks.

Anyway, here's how I ranked their discography:

1. Tell No Tales - 1987 - 86%

2. Transistor - 1999 - 86%
3. My Religion - 2004 - 83%
4. Intuition - 1989 - 83%
5. Firefly - 1996 - 79%
6. All The Way To The Sun - 2005 - 77%
7. Realized Fantasies - 1992 - 76%

8. Knights Of The New Thunder - 1984 - 62%

I assume the placement of 'Realized Fantasies' may ruffle a few feathers, but to explain... The first 5 songs are great. Love them all. The next five? All awful. 'All you need' has a moment in the chorus, but otherwise, the disc is the most perfect example of two opposite halves there is. Shame. Anyway, great band.

Still so surprised you never heard them properly, Glen. Listening today brought back good memories of my intro to melodic rock. I started with all the "typical" US bands, but I still remember the two songs that were basically the gateway to European / Scandi melodic rock. The two epitomes of that style. And those two songs were (and still are, to me) 'Love Cries' by Stage Dolls, and 'Intuition' by TNT.

To think of a CD collection without the 'Intuition' album... it's just not a proper collection until that's in there. ;)

2 Things...1. None are rated in the 90's? 2. have your last two ranked below "Sun" is nuts. If any album had a ton of fillers it would be that one.5-6 keepers, the rest are ok with a c ouple bad ones.

Yeah, I love the band and a best of compilation would rate above 95%. But like I said above, every single album has at least several weak moments, so there is no disc that is consistent enough to warrant a rating in the 90's, imo, of course. But do note, there are plenty of songs I rate at or above 9.5, and even a handful of 10's. They do like a good filler or two, though.

I don't mind 'All the way to the sun' at all. I don't think there's many fillers. It's biggest crime is - for the first time in TNT's career - that the best songs aren't as amazing as they usually are. It's a good solid disc, but missing big highlights.

I do appreciate all the feedback guys and will be checking out loads of songs again soon - real busy at mo so might take me a couple of weeks.

As I said before, I did check out some songs online early last year but maybe I got unlucky and listened to these fillers you speak of.......maybe not, we'll see.

It has always struck me as a bit weird that TNT never really clicked with me, when so many others rave about them. About time to find out once and for all.

Cheers

• My Little Pony

I'll have to check this out, too, as the closest I've ever listened to TNT is Tindrum.

<GASP!>

I know....

I love the album ... I bought it on good ol' vinyl after reading a review in 'Kerrang!' magazine ... yes, kids, I'm THAT old ...

Knights is the only release that I don't own and have not heard.....looks like I will have to track down a copy....

The real TNT arrived with Tell No Tales. The debut in Norwegian and Knights are not essential, although Knights does have a few good tunes.

On a side note, whatever happened to Tony Hanson? :lol:

For those who don't know, Tony Hanson is credited as singer on Knights. It is actually Harnell. :)

• 1 month later...

TNT will go on.

TNT "Will Go On" Says RONNIE LE TEKRO

from melodicrock.com:

TNT guitarist Ronni Le Tekrø spoke to Norway Rock Magazine last week for an interview that will be published later this month in Norway.
With thanks to the Magazine, I can post this preview of the interview and yes, the question everyone wants to know…
NR: So what's happening to TNT these days, after losing two Tony's in two years?
Ronnie: We won't retire just because a singer quits. People have tried to break the band previously on those terms. But they can't - we'll go on! We are searching for a new singer now, and will hold auditions shortly. I haven't told the press about this yet, you are the first one to know. We'll find a singer who is even better! And also able to reproduce what our previous singers did.
NR: What were the reasons for the Tony’s leaving?
Ronnie: Nothing dramatic, Mills had been with us for 8 years and we are still on speaking terms. Harnell leaving, well, that was almost expected. I have no desire to Discover exactly why. Those who want to leave the band may leave the band. We'll continue no matter what.

Losing Mills was good for the band. He was an awful fit for TNT. The only one possible hope they have of not sucking, is getting in a good, strong song writer who can pull LeTekro into line. If LeTekro is given a free pass to write all the songs, it will suck heavily, no matter who's voice he uses.

Losing Mills was good for the band. He was an awful fit for TNT. The only one possible hope they have of not sucking, is getting in a good, strong song writer who can pull LeTekro into line. If LeTekro is given a free pass to write all the songs, it will suck heavily, no matter who's voice he uses.

What he said....